Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the comparison of the two cars? I wager that the Cayman will be the most cross-shopped car with the Alfa Romeo 4C, so I think it merits its own discussion thread.

Alfa Romeo 4C

Porsche Cayman

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Cayman is one of the best Porsches in the line up. I haven't driven the new one. The mid-engine layout is great, the sound is great, and the car looks nice. However, the car feels a bit heavy as it is a bit underpowered. I'm actually expecting the 4C sound to be better. All the extras you get in the LE 4C will cost a fortune in the Cayman. Lastly, the 4C will be more exclusive and depending on your taste that is either a good or bad thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My expectation, being a Lotus Elise owner, is that the Porsche won't even come close as far as handling is concerned.

True performance comes from light weight and not adding horsepower.

The Porsche Cayman S (PDK) has a dry (or unladen) weight as follows:

- Unladen weight (DIN) 1,350 kg (2,976 lbs)
- Unladen weight (EC) 1,425 kg (3,142 lbs)

(I am not sure of the difference between DIN and EC??)

The Alfa Romeo 4C has a dry weight of 895 kg (1,973 lbs) - that is a significant difference!

It is absolutely awesome that the 4C doesn't have power steering (just like the Lotus Elise) - you can expect to get unbelievable steering feedback!

Definition of "Unladen weight":

The unladen weight of any vehicle is the weight of the vehicle when it’s not carrying any passengers, goods or other items.
It includes the body and all parts normally used with the vehicle or trailer when it’s used on a road.
It doesn't include the weight of the fuel or, if it’s an electric vehicle, the batteries.

Pricing:

Porsche Cayman S (PDK): $67,950

Alfa Romeo 4C: ?? - $55,000 (total speculation)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Cayman S/R is widely considered the best handling car you can buy under 100K by just about every motor journo. It is a refined chassis and motor design that harks from some serious sports car DNA made by Germans and is bullet proof under hard lapping at a track day and can be driven home. The 4C is a new release by a brand that at best has a checkered history (albeit a wonderful history) from the 70's forward. The problem is there really any DNA connection to the past with the 4C? The platform/chassis is new and seems to have wonderful potential. The motor is useful but certainly not bespoke or a ground up design. The fit and finish is a total crap shoot IMO and not in the Cayman's league by any stretch. I would not expect this car to be anywhere near the total package of a Cayman S. I think we are looking at a step above the Elise level package but clearly under the Cayman level.

Just one man's opinion...I want one and will be so very happy to be proved wrong! Sorry to be the doubting Thomas here BUT I have owned three Alfa's (Not that it's completely pertinent to the 4C but...).

I would love to hear from someone who has touched the 4C and sat in it. To address these comparisons.

Mj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts