Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
There has been a lot of debate about this article and most people believe that it's completely wrong regarding the lights. They are basically "re-writing" an article from Evo where they interviewed Tencone (the designer) and they have taken out of the interview only the bits they liked...
Basically here is what Ramaciotti (Group Head of Design) and Tencone (Design director) say so that you can read it whichever way you want:
"The real reason is that the number one goal was to make the 4C as light as possible. The new design with no outside cover and no extra components underneath is lighter and cheaper to make than the one from the concept. They still give the 4C its unique face" Tencone "I prefer the original solution from the concept but we will work on a solution to improve the car over its life cycle. We did try body colour for this new light cluster and it looked terrible"

Obviously I made their responses a little shorter but that's what comes out. The way I read it and based on cost to have lights approved worldwide all they will do is try to make subtle changes to it like the carbon cover or similar. Bear in mind that cost is such a BIG concern for this car that they are keeping the side reflectors for all markets although only the US needs them....

Another big issue seems to be that there is very little room behind the lights without hitting the front tyres so a conventional light cluster would not work...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Read the EVO article (you can find it on other forums) as the designers talk about the headlights. The development cost for headlights ala the concept were too expensive and out of budget for a car they are only going to make 28,000 of during its lifecycle. According to ppl in the industry it costs approx $400-$500k to design and get headlights approved.That is how the OEM Hella headlights appeared on the car.

People on other forums have discussed this badly written/translated article in length and the consensus is that the likelihood of AR changing the headlights is around 0%.
[hr]
Damn you Deppi0. You beat me by 1 minute!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts