Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Alfaworks Stage 1 ECU from a forum member a few months ago. Sent it off to Alfaworks to have reset and they shipped it back to me.

Finally got around to installing it yesterday and nothing but flashing lights and error messages. Tried unplugging, replugging, turn to on position three times, etc... nothing happens except for lots of light and messages. Gave up on it, put the OEM one back in and all is good again.

I did send a message to Jamie but he hasn't responded yet, although I do know he is good at getting back to you, but does anyone here have any suggestions? Experienced this perhaps? Is my ECU pooched? 馃槸

Premium Member
What are the lights and messages?

Hard to say definitively but 95%+ it鈥檚 a fault from when you installed it (it happens, even if you followed the procedure). The way to get rid of it is to get a cheap code reader and see what the codes are and clear them. Again, it could be you have a bad ECU but the most probable answer is it鈥檚 an install issue, you can clear those codes, and they鈥檒l never come back.

Registered
Based on a similar experience I'm guessing they didn't reset the immobilizer. When that happened to me I had to send the ECU back for a second time. Same scenario, moving the ECU from one car to another.

Registered
I purchased an Alfaworks Stage 1 ECU from a forum member a few months ago. Sent it off to Alfaworks to have reset and they shipped it back to me.

Finally got around to installing it yesterday and nothing but flashing lights and error messages. Tried unplugging, replugging, turn to on position three times, etc... nothing happens except for lots of light and messages. Gave up on it, put the OEM one back in and all is good again.

I did send a message to Jamie but he hasn't responded yet, although I do know he is good at getting back to you, but does anyone here have any suggestions? Experienced this perhaps? Is my ECU pooched? 馃槸
Did the car start? or do you see the security icon on the left side of the dash?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Car does not start. From what I can remember, a warning regarding the traction control, transmission and hill holder and an exclamation mark inside of what looks like a gear with teeth in it came up. I do believe it did tell me to refer to the manual.

So what is the "official procedure" when installing?

Premium Member
Thanks guys. Car does not start. From what I can remember, a warning regarding the traction control, transmission and hill holder and an exclamation mark inside of what looks like a gear with teeth in it came up. I do believe it did tell me to refer to the manual.

So what is the "official procedure" when installing?
If it doesn鈥檛 start then it鈥檚 the immobilizer as @JTod was referring to. What I was describing (fault during the swap) the car still starts.

Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
I stand corrected. Alfaworks has been great to deal with but the ECU still has issues. Not sure what the f is going on. Back to square one i guess.
So, you did send it back to Alfaworks? They reflashed the ECU and it still doesn't work? I take it the OEM ECU works fine, but still this is a bummer. Send it back to AW to try again.

Registered
2018 Rosso Competizione 4C Spider, 2019 Rosso Competizione Giulia Quadrifoglio
@AlfaFourSee - the initialization is rather finiky. As @Alfanut alluded to, you must follow it carefully.

From this thread (#1 ), ...
disconnect battery using negative quick connect
install new ECU
reconnect battery
turn ignition key {without starting the car} 3 cycles for 10-15 seconds each cycle {removing the key after each cycle})

I emphasized the removal of the key, because that was an important point I missed on my ECU install.

-Terence

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi. The issues are exactly the same as the first time. Turn the key, get to the start position, every warning message comes up on the dash (air bag, transmission, hill hold, etc...), turn the key all the way and nothing. Not even a click.

I will try once again. See what happens and report back. LOL.

Thanks for chiming in all.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, not sure where the fault lies, so can't honestly lay blame on anyone specifically. Not yet anyway. LOL. I'm hoping Alfaworks can help me get this straightened away. They've been good so far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts