Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow 4c owners!

Recently bought my mp 2017 4c coupe. I have the race suspension with 18/19 wheels. Akropovic also :)

Car has about 2500 miles. My driver side front tire had a hole in the sidewall from hitting a sharp nyc sewer cap. So i put on a 205/40 18 shitty tire on for 3 days to get my car back home.

Today i just installed a fresh set of michelin pilot sport as3 from tire rack. Front size 215/40/18. Rear size 255/30/19. I went with as3 because of approaching winter. Although i wont be driving in snow. I do plan on taking the car out on frequent short rides. I was afraid of running summers in sub 40 degree temp so i went with these michelin all seasons.

So far the ride is alot better, softer. Steering is way lighter than it was before. Same weight when stationary as before (bodybuilder heavy)

Steering seems not to be straight although tire shop claims it is. Maybe i just need to try again on a proper straight and flat road. Most ny roads are convexed.

Im worried about the light steering. Itncould possibly be the "newness" coating on the tires.

However i really have been reading alignment forums and it all seems to be getting overwhelming. This is why im posting.

I dont have these issues on my stelvio ti sport. Its way more ex bmw owner friendly LOL

Either way i would love if i can get some feedback on my alignment specs which i am attaching below.

Keep in mind not using any blocks from Jaime. Maybe down the road if it will help my case.

·
Registered
2016 Spider
108 Posts
Did you check tire pressure? The first time I replaced my fronts they put about 35PSI in my tires and it felt like I have a power steering and I was feeling bumps and grooves even more than before, plus with larger tires that you got, you have to drop the pressure lower than standard a bit, I'd say around 2 PSI, so check the pressure first!
For alignment as long as your front left/right toe matches you should be ok with steering not pulling to one side, however I can see your camber in front are off which could cause a bit of pulling to side you will need to have some shims handy when you go to alignment so they can adjust it.
In terms of actual alignment numbers there is a whole different topic here with lots of info on the forum. there is literally no best alignment numbers, you have to see what you expect, if you are leaning more towards sporty feeling and trying to track the car, consider more camber both in front and rear. The low caster on our cars also causing some tramlining so you will need to increase that if that bothers you however to achieve a good caster number you will need lots of shims and more than likely the blocks.

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
I'd be insisting on same specs left and right. Fronts L-R are too dissimilar. Rears are OK as a base-line before getting serious. I think what you are feeling is correct. Go with your gut, as you have, by postingyour concerns here.👍 Our front suspension is very sensitive to minute changes so getting specs equal L-R is really important.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,552 Posts
You also mentioned you had new tires. When getting new tires they will have more tread than the worn out tires as well as mold break compound. The compound will wear off quickly but until than the "greasier" tire and more tread will feel like the tire is squirming a LOT. I also echo the above post about checking your tire pressure. Those tire shops love to overinflate tires....,.with a slightly larger tire you should drop the tire pressure from the normal 29R26F one or two pounds. A larger tire has more volume and thus doesn't need as high of pressure as the stock recommended pressures. The 4C is very sensitive to suspension changes and tire pressures. Once you get used to the car, just a couple of pounds difference will make a significant difference in feel, handling, and adhesion.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,552 Posts
Toe out doesn’t make sense to me at all. Thanks for the info gentlemen
Agreed...however, having a bit of toe out makes a car "turn in" quicker on slower speed tight corners (think autocross). But not good for higher speed corners...as it makes the car a bit more nervous (darty) and probably one of the causes of some cars having issues with tramlining.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts