Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my 4c to Alekshop along with several shims and RacerZ recipe.
It turned out my car is already very much in the spec. Just some minor adjustments for toe in for the front.
They were aware of the needed neg camber for the car, but would not advised me to be too aggressive on that as that may create unusual tire wear. Again, that depended on your current tire wear pattern.
Mine already had 14k miles on them but they wear fairly evenly.
They also recommended 3 extra lbs inflation for the tires in rear.
After the alignment adjustment and tire inflation correction, the car drives much better.
An alignment surely helped, and much cheaper than a suspension change.
:laugh:

·
Registered
98 Posts
An alignment surely helped, and much cheaper than a suspension change. :laugh:
An alignment and a suspension change are very different things and the comparison is misleading.

No suspension could improve the driving/handling if the alignment is not good. But you can improve the handling massive by a suspension change, also if you have a perfect alignment with the stock struts :p

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Really surprised at the recommendation to add 3psi in the rear and I'd like to understand more their rationale if you can share.

I've found the car understeers less by removing 1psi in the rear and narrowing the front and rear pressure gap. This is far more pronounced on track when I drop the pressures equally to 22/24 as cold initial pressures - but again with a 2psi front/rear gap. The car understeers less and is less prone to abrupt lift throttle oversteer. (AR Racing P Zero)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My rear tires have a slightly cup pattern after 14k miles of fairly non-track driving.
The extra inflation increased the surface contact.
I guess this has nothing to do with understeer/oversteer issue.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What are the best tyre pressures for normal road driving? I have a feeling I've been overinflating mine (35/34 psi)...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
What are the best tyre pressures for normal road driving? I have a feeling I've been overinflating mine (35/34 psi)...
Why wouldn't you use the recommended tire pressure from the factory first as a starting point?
I think yours are too high, based on factory spec

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Higher pressures are good for clearing driveways though ;)

I've noticed that the 4C is very sensitive to tire pressure with respect to ground clearance. Each day when I drive out of my work car park I listen for the scrape. Normally I make it out without issue but on that day that I hear it I know that I've lost 1-2psi up front.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I second kmarei, A wise man once told me is good to start with the measures posted in the drivers door tag, the make changes using that reference. Mi recommended are 26/29. Usually end up taking out ~1psi mid day at the track after checking pressures and 3-point temps with the tire guys.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Mine are 26/29. Had a few different mechanics give me the same numbers. Mine where at 50 when I took delivery. If any of you new owners haven't check your tire pressure I would!
I have quite a lip on my driveway also (gutter lip). I go in an out at about 35 degrees with no problem. My son tells me Im not even close to scrapping which is a huge surprise considering the lip

·
Registered
221 Posts
My tyres were 35 all round when I took delivery and I haven't really varied them since. I must admit I hadn't even looked at the recommended pressures - I only asked about it when I saw that the pressures mentioned here were much lower.
Having said that, some of the roads around my way are pretty awful, so I think the high pressures might have saved my rims from damage once or twice.
Thanks for the advice - I will lower the pressures and see what difference it makes to my handling. (and sorry for deviating from the thread topic)

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
I've been running 26/29 for 15,000 miles. Had the car aligned about 10,000 ago (after I crashed it). Tire wear pattern is great! Nice and flat across all fours :) As a DD, I can't see any reason to change this.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The one thing that seems to not work out very well is long Autobahn stints at 200 km/h plus. I got a quite marked center wear pattern. But then I was in a chase with a bunch of Porsche friends and recorded 262 km/h GPS speed and we were going all around Germany at really "good" speeds.

·
Registered
472 Posts
With all the adjustability on this car, I think it will be quite a while before there is any consensus on what settings are optimal. On the front we can change Camber, Castor and Toe In, and on the rear, Camber and Toe in. That leaves us with an incredible combination of possibilities, and what one person likes, another may not. The best place to start is usually by making sure your car is actually set at the factory settings, and then moving on from there.

Greg

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
You chased the Porsches or the Porsches chased you Tallinn ?
We went out together but in the end it was me chasing, at 262 km/h I was clearly the slowest guy out there. Have to give it to the guys of the Swedish Porsche Club, they use their cars to the full.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts