Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Originally from Oahu, uprooted to Western Canada in 2014 which was job related for both my spouse and I. Loving the people and wide expanse of roads.
Brought over our trusty '15 Honda Fit LX manual, and, set up the wife with her daily SUV after arrival. Added since, a '12 Audi R8 V-8 R-tronic coupe, a '10 Bentley Continental Flying Spur Speed and a '20 Honda Civic Type R. The R8 was gifted to my youngest son in NYC which left last 5/21/20 and the Bentley recently sold on 5/27/20.
With partial funds from the Bentley sale, was looking for a playmate for my Type R. Something light that loves corners. Found a '17 4C with less than 1,600kms and made the deal yesterday. Got it in White, my lucky color!!!
Excited for it's arrival in a couple of weeks.
Looking forward to learning and contributing to this forum!!!

Pic from seller:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Welcome to the family Rottboy & congrats on the 4C.

You have good taste in cars, so we are not surprised that you selected a 4C as a play toy.

You are going to be pleasantly surprised at how capable the little 4C is.

Just for s*its and giggles, please do a driver's comparison report comparing the 4C to the Bentley.

Cheers,

Alf.

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the family.....Alf
Thanks Alf A for the kind words and welcome.
The reason I needed a change in the garage stable was due to the arrival of my current '20 Type R. It brought me back to the days when cars were light to handle. The R8 being a gentleman's affordable supercar is weighty and the Bentley 'obese' LOL!!! Neverthelees I did enjoy the former for 6 yrs. & later for only 6 months.
Being a senior, one would think I'm ripe for overweight over dressed sedans. Not yet. The youth in me still yearns to enjoy the drive.
One thing I will miss from the R8 is the B&O sound system. Nevertheless, am sure listening to the 4C's exhaust note will make up for it.
Eagerly awaiting delivery!🤙Mahalo

Gotta say the 4C's looks says one thing to me - it's Italian!!! Can't afford the Pista but this makes the same statement in a compact package!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,814 Posts
Bentley? Isn’t that a VeeDub in top hat and tails?;) Nice stable. Welcome and congrats on the 4C. She’s a gem.(y)

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bentley? Isn’t that a VeeDub in top hat and tails?;) ....................
LOL!!!
More like an overweight VW product with still some of that "old English" reliability lurking around.
Not that I had any issues during it's brief stay at my humble household, but after enjoying it's opulence, knew I wasn't ready to join the "cruising" crowd yet, although the wife thoroughly did enjoy her shopping trips with her girl gang in tow.
With less than 13,600 kms. on the odo, the Bentley's new owner is a very happy camper!

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
Aloha!

Welcome to the 4C family!

Sorry you got moved from paradise to Canada, but at least the lower mainland offers milder winters and lots of interesting things to do and lovely scenery. Some great driving roads, too.

Great stable of vehicles in your recent past. The R8 is one I would love to have but will never be able to afford. I suspect that you will find the 4C experience somewhat reminiscent, although without the ultimate shove of a V10. Still, each outing is an experience / event.

Where is your car coming from, that it will take a couple weeks to arrive?
I’m in Ontario, and mine (virtual twin to yours including the wheels, although mine is cloth/plastic interior) got shipped here 2 years ago from Ferrari of Vancouver! Small world.

We do have a decent contingent of Alfisti here from the left coast. I’m sure they will pipe in and welcome you into their fold.

Meanwhile, there’s lots of great reading here to keep you entertained while you wait, and for you to contribute to. Cannot wait to hear your first driving impressions!

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
......Welcome............Sorry you got moved from paradise to Canada............The R8 is one I would love to have.......suspect that you will find the 4C experience somewhat reminiscent, although without the ultimate shove of a V10. Still, each outing is an experience / event.
Where is your car coming from............mine (virtual twin to yours..........)..........2 years ago from Ferrari of Vancouver! Small world..............Cannot wait to hear your first driving impressions!
4Canada, greeting much appreciated!
With the expansive road system and dedication to maintaining natural habitats, I find Canada our new paradise. After 5 decades I was developing "island sickness", LOL!!!
Took my undergraduate studies in Ohio so I did miss the openness of a large landmass.
My R8 was a V-8. Slower than the 10 but a sweeter sounding engine. Solid very well built. It joins my youngest son's 2010 997.2 GT3 in NYC. Promised him the Audi upon completion of his Master's. For sure he will enjoy the different drives of both, just as I will now, with the 4C and my Type R. Your so right about experiencing "different experience/events". Something I find enjoyable and fullfilling!
Car's coming from the BC interior. 2 weeks would be the max but I suspect it may arrive later this coming week.
Just love the color White. Gotta say though, the 4C looks young and sexy in any color!
Driving impressions definitely to be posted, in the meantime will continue to read n learn from this 4C friendly forum.

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
4C is scheduled for pickup next week Wednesday and should be delivered on or before Friday. Will surely need some cleaning as it's travelling in an "open" transport.
Appointment made with my wrap guy for PPF & Ceramic Coating. Patiently waiting. In the meantime, have gotten a ton of knowledge from reading the various threads. I do my own maintenance and am hoping my low profile jack fits! 🤞
My departed R8, gifted to son #4, has arrived in the East Coast, clean and safe at the club garage in NJ where he is a member of. The Audi will be sleeping in "royal" company every night from now on!!!

Am looking forward to hearing my son's comments comparing the V8 vs. his flat six 997.2 GT3. Am glad these vehicles remain within my family circle! The time when non-aspirated sports cars ruled are fading away.

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The wait is over!!!
My baby finally arrived and spent 3 hrs to clean her up and familiarize myself with all the controls. Took her for a short drive and must say this will be a "keeper" in my garage. So tight and raw. The seat makes it part of your body when on and off the road.
At 5'5" and 125 lbs. this vehicle was made for my frame. LOL!!! Getting in and out is a smooth exercise. Everything fits although the wife is NOT looking forward to riding with me. Another LOL!!! She finds it too low.
Added bonus were the OEM car cover and battery maintainer. It's in such good shape even the factory wrap remains on the passengers footwell plate. Another bonus was that PPF has been done on the rockers and carbon door sills by the previous owner.
Figured the trick to get a light steering is to move a few inches and turn the steering. Works like a charm. But then again I am old school. My first car was '67 MG Midget 1275cc RHD. Just needed the senses to be re-ignited.
Oh, the power. What a joy to experience plus the sound that goes with it. Loving every moment and am looking forward to some nice weather to bring her to some twisty roads. A 100 miles of driving and I should be bonded to how she handles. Can't wait for my learning curve to peak.

Flatbed delivery

Delivery mileage

Looking spotless after cleaning

Sleeping with her OEM cover

Having no reverse sensors will install a rear view camera later this week.
Much appreciated if anyone can let me know how to access the wire harness for the reverse lights plus the best way to feed a wire from the rear into the carbon fiber tub.
How do you guys drive with your feet? Am using my left foot for the brake and the right for the gas. The brakes are so in touch and super easy to modulate.

Congratulations, Rottboy....do a search, it’s there...
Super thanks Alfanut!!! Just so excited haven't thought of doing a search. Am now drinking my favorite "Big Wave" Hawaiian beer to celebrate. Wishing all you 4C guys could be here with me!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,814 Posts
The wait is over!!!
My baby finally arrived and spent 3 hrs to clean her up and familiarize myself with all the controls. Took her for a short drive and must say this will be a "keeper" in my garage. So tight and raw. The seat makes it part of your body when on and off the road.
At 5'5" and 125 lbs. this vehicle was made for my frame. LOL!!! Getting in and out is a smooth exercise. Everything fits although the wife is NOT looking forward to riding with me. Another LOL!!! Finds it too low.
Added bonus were the OEM car cover and battery maintainer. It's in such good shape even the factory wrap remains on the passengers footwell plate. Another bonus was that PPF has been done on the rockers and carbon door sills by the previous owner.
Figured the trick to get a light steering is to move a few inches and turn the steering. Works like a charm. But then again I am old school. My first car was '67 MG Midget 1275cc RHD. Just needed the senses to be re-ignited.
Oh, the power. What a joy to experience plus the sound that goes with it. Loving every moment and am looking forward to some nice weather to bring her to some twisty roads. A 100 miles of driving and I should be bonded to how she handles. Can't wait for my learning curve to peak.

Flatbed delivery
View attachment 107422

Delivery mileage
View attachment 107427

View attachment 107424

View attachment 107425

Much appreciated if anyone can let me know how to access the wire harness for the reverse lights plus the best way to feed a wire from the rear into the carbon fiber tub.
Congratulations, Rottboy. There are threads dealing with what you seek, just have a look or do a search, it’s there. The search function can be found by tapping the three vertical dots at the top right-hand corner of your screen.
One question: Are you accessing a work server as I’ve had to approve your last post and your edit?

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
The wait is over!!!
At 5'5" and 125 lbs. this vehicle was made for my frame. LOL!!! Getting in and out is a smooth exercise. Everything fits although the wife is NOT looking forward to riding with me. Another LOL!!! She finds it too low.

Flatbed delivery
View attachment 107422

Delivery mileage
View attachment 107427

View attachment 107424

View attachment 107425

How do you guys drive with your feet? Am using my left foot for the brake and the right for the gas. The brakes are so in touch and super easy to modulate.

Super thanks Alfanut!!! Just so excited haven't thought of doing a search. Am now drinking my favorite "Big Wave" Hawaiian beer to celebrate. Wishing all you 4C guys could be here with me!!!

It was ingrained in me that left foot braking is dangerous.😒

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was ingrained in me that left foot braking is dangerous.😒
Hear ya but I learned this back in the '80's from a racing friend of mine. Reaction time is way faster using the left foot for the brake. It takes getting used too but after 4 decades, its how I drive all automatic vehicles. Trust me, its works!!! Taught my wife and she does it all the time. Of course, her shopping gang thinks she is crazy!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The wait is over!!!

Flatbed delivery
View attachment 107422

Delivery mileage
View attachment 107427

View attachment 107424

View attachment 107425

Hi Rottboy,

Welcome to the 4C world! Sorry I haven't check this forum lately. I am located in Vancouver too. We have a group in FB Alfa Romeo 4C of Western Canada, you can join us there as well. We arrange group meet in the summer. I actually help 4Canada to get his twin baby from here. I have rear sensors from my 4C but I also added Look It back up camera wirelessly connected through my iPhone, I use it occasionally. Let's connect.

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
Hearty congratulations, Rottboy!

Check out the Engine & Technical section of this forum, for the DIY and Technical Reference Index thread. It should give you lots of info on the camera. Or, use a wireless one. I use the Lookit one, which is battery power and uses your phone as a screen. My twin of your car also has no sensors!

Left foot brakIng is very much a skill on this car, as the pedal modulates more by pressure than travel. And you may find that on spirited drives your left leg needs to be planted on the dead pedal. It’s a skill I would like to develop for the track, but so far I’m just not subtle enough on the brake with my left foot. Might be OK applying it, but I’m rubbish at releasing it (especially in trail braking, where it matters most).

She’s a beauty. Enjoy her!
Does she have a name yet?

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
..............am located in Vancouver.......have a group in FB Alfa Romeo 4C of Western Canada, you can join ..Let's connect.
Awesome! Will certainly hook up.

......thinking you might wish to convert to metric, ............:cool:
ENJOY!!!
Appreciate the concern but coming from south of the border, am so used to MPH. That said, am very conscious of city speed limits and mentally mastered conversion to KPH. If only I could also change the outside temp reading from C to F, my instrument cluster would be perfect (for me!).
UPDATE:
Figured it out!!!! Didn't scroll down the menu enough!!! Temp now in F!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I looked at and was close to buying that car (August motors right?) Very nice. I was trying to decide between it and a few others but just decided on a silver spider and am waiting for delivery - should be about 2 weeks.
I am also looking to add a rear camera soon after delivery.
I really like the look of these cars and guess I will see yours in Vancouver one of these days.

·
Super Moderator
6,814 Posts
I looked at and was close to buying that car (August motors right?) Very nice. I was trying to decide between it and a few others but just decided on a silver spider and am waiting for delivery - should be about 2 weeks.
I am also looking to add a rear camera soon after delivery.
I really like the look of these cars and guess I will see yours in Vancouver one of these days.
Welcome and congrats on the Spider. Post an intro if you would and tell us about your car and how you decided it was the one for you. Any photos yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Will post a picture when it arrives. I had been looking for an Alfa for a few months and had checked out those available. I was a bit undecided between the coupe and the spider - each has advantages but was mainly drawn to the spider I guess. Love the open air feeling. Was also not sure on the color - again each has advantages. Was close to a white coupe but it sold before my offer was finalized. I thought yellow was a bit young for me - red also perhaps and so the grey was beautiful and age appropriate. One of my sons convinced me when he said do not buy a colour you like dad, buy a colour you love.
Cannot wait to take it on the sea to sky - or any highway for that matter

1 - 20 of 29 Posts