Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

shift paddle or climate controls

161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think I'd try to remove the whole control panel and gain better access if I wanted to remove the slider.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
991 Posts
Yeah, watched that several times. The problem is he has already removed the OEM one, so there's no direction to help. He mentions the pinching the tabs, but having never seen what's going on in there, that didn't help me.

I think I'd try to remove the whole control panel and gain better access if I wanted to remove the slider.
I don't think that will help. After I "removed" part of the part; I could see where you could put a flat head screwdriver and pry the slider away from the two tabs (as seen in his video before he clips in the new slider) without breaking it, hopefully.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
991 Posts
This is the back view - you can kinda see on the outside of each tab the part that locks the tabs into the slider.

This is the top view with the tabs already most of the way out - you have to get a tool in both holes and press each tab towards the center.

I'm thinking you can put a flat head screwdriver in between the slider and the parallel part of the tab piece and twist? You can see where mine broke at the bottom.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've pinched through the upper slots to the point where I was worried about breaking it, and also did some prying to pull it off to the point where I was concerned about breaking it that way too. If anybody finds a trick, let us know! A closeup of that area when dissasembled might help too. That being said, the new knobs look like a million bucks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is the back view - you can kinda see on the outside of each tab the part that locks the tabs into the slider.
View attachment 118520

This is the top view with the tabs already most of the way out - you have to get a tool in both holes and press each tab towards the center.
View attachment 118521

I'm thinking you can put a flat head screwdriver in between the slider and the parallel part of the tab piece and twist? You can see where mine broke at the bottom.
You sent the pics simultaneous with me asking :) Thanks! That's exactly what I figured it looked like, and that's how I was attempting to get it off (pinching through the slots on the tabs, and pulling out). Hmmm. Do you think it broke from too much force prying away from the face of the controls, or from some other maneuver?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Would a couple of dental picks work? I would have thought rign pliers would work, however earlier in thread there was a comment about that not working.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Are they any more of these left to buy

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
991 Posts
You sent the pics simultaneous with me asking :) Thanks! That's exactly what I figured it looked like, and that's how I was attempting to get it off (pinching through the slots on the tabs, and pulling out). Hmmm. Do you think it broke from too much force prying away from the face of the controls, or from some other maneuver?
Yes, too much force and not enough 'pinching'. The problem with the pinching is there is no room for the tab to move to the side while you pinch. What really needs to happen is the outside of each slot to be pulled out from the tab. How you could do that while it's all still attached is the problem.
Would a couple of dental picks work? I would have thought rign pliers would work, however earlier in thread there was a comment about that not working.
Maybe. They're strong enough, but would be difficult to pinch in unison.
I don't think these would be strong enough. We really need the force of pliers with the size of tweezers.

I tried some hemostats and that obviously did not work.

Side view of broken tabs, you can kinda see the raised part on the outside of the tab that locks it into the slots in the slider body.

·
Registered
229 Posts
What really needs to happen is the outside of each slot to be pulled out from the tab. How you could do that while it's all still attached is the problem.

That is a good clue, maybe not so much manipulating the tabs, but what the tabs lock onto. I may give that a try. Thanks a bunch!!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
A couple of little 3D printed wedges would probably work, one on each side that fit in the little boxes. Not that I have a 3D printer...

Reactions: smc4C

·
Registered
2016 alfa 4c
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Alert!!!!

As most of you are getting the climate controls. I have 1 center knob that is black and may have gotten mixed up in the batch. If you receive this, you are the lucky winner! JK.....just let me know so I can ship out the correct one as I need this back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know, I am sorry.....I asked multiple times and removed it from the CMF, so I thought he would get it right this time. my apologizes. If I could remove them safely I would, but fear I would damage them in the process. I might be able to get extra caps if you would like to try, but they are on there very well, I have tried to remove them.
Wow Great. I am really looking forward to receiving it. especially now that it has the alfa romeo logo. I loved the look.(y)(y)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just installed the knobs but I gave up on the slider as well. I was trying for quite some time, even partially disassebled the HVAC control. The silder didn't come off. Bummer. Who was successful and how did you do it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I did it the easy way with the first batch. Was having some other things done at a shop at the track so had them do the knobs and slider and they said installing the slider was not a problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
991 Posts
I have finished my install of the knobs and slider. As I have said I broke the slider tab piece like others had. I glued the piece together and then when inserting into place it broke again. So then I tried gluing it in place thinking it was the insertion that broke it (it can still slide, I made sure there was no glue seepage). I held it together with some twist-ties until it cured. The next I day checked it out and it worked great until I realized it was upside down. This made the slider control knob too high. In my attempt to remove the slider control knob, the slider tab broke again.

So, the next step was to glue it together again but not in place. I glued it together on the bench using some very small zip ties. I also filed down the tab lock bumps so the slider control knob would not be so hard to remove. (They really make that harder than needed. I mean, it's not like it's going somewhere being held in by the HVAC cover!) Anyway, I test fitted the control knob to the slider tab on the bench and to my surprise when the slider tab is inserted all the way into the slider knob there is a gap; enough room to leave the zip ties on the slider tab. This was great because now I could insert the slider tab into the HVAC unit and it couldn't break because the zip ties where holding it together! It was a bit of a task to snap the slider tab piece onto the inner control arm but it did. Now I could push the new @designbybeau slider knob onto the tabs (and remove if wanted) without breaking anything else!

So 4 days after I started I finished the install/upgrade. Whew! Not in focus, but you get the idea:

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
156 Posts
I have just installed the control knobs. Given the difficulties that other folks have had, I didn't bother trying to get the slider off.

I was doing things in too much of a hurry, though, and didn't replace the little screw beneath the centre knob before I pushed the knob on. The knob took a fair bit of pushing before it clicked into place. It now doesn't want to come off again!

Will leaving that screw out cause any issues - rattling maybe - or does it just hold the whole plastic surround a bit more firmly?

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
991 Posts
Will leaving that screw out cause any issues - rattling maybe - or does it just hold the whole plastic surround a bit more firmly?
That's my belief, that it just holds the plastic surround a bit more. And makes you really frustrated when you forget to take it out while trying to remove the surround!

161 - 180 of 195 Posts