Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,482 Posts
Wonder how many they sold?

Without distribution in the US nor China, and without a real reason for being (let alone a champion like Marchionne), it’s not shocking that a new low volume pure sports car wasn’t going to set the world on fire.

Add the chaos at Nissan Renault and the global crisis, and it is understandable.

Sad to see it go. Shows how lucky we were with the timing of the 4C.

·
Registered
56 Posts
They built more than 8000 cars within 3 years, which is more than the original Alpine 110 of the 60' in its whole lifespan.
The car sold very well in France, but now the sales pace is much slower. And the succes on the export market within Europe (Germay, England etc. ) is quite limited.
Shame on Renault management if they close down the Dieppe plant (historical plant of Alpine) and even worse if they kill the brand and the model.
Official communication from Renault will be made on the 29th of mai.

·
Super Moderator
14,482 Posts
They built more than 8000 cars within 3 years, which is more than the original Alpine 110 of the 60' in its whole lifespan.
The car sold very well in France, but now the sales pace is much slower. And the succes on the export market within Europe (Germay, England etc. ) is quite limited.
Shame on Renault management if they close down the Dieppe plant (historical plant of Alpine) and even worse if they kill the brand and the model.
Official communication from Renault will be made on the 29th of mai.
Interesting. So about the same number that Alfa produced of 4Cs in 5 years. Though I assume not hand assembled, or?

Bigger shame on Nissan Renault if they risk the whole organization right now on things like a badge that can easily go back to sleep for another 50 years without anyone noticing...

Going to be some tectonic shifts in the auto industry in the upcoming years. Consolidations, perhaps de-centralization of key production, and an increasing shift to electrification. The current crisis, as much as it threatens companies, also points the way to the future, and that way probably involves fewer trips to the office for a lot of people. Many consumers will themselves undergo forced downsizing,and might be left with a single family vehicle that will have to “do everything”.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Interesting. So about the same number that Alfa produced of 4Cs in 5 years. Though I assume not hand assembled, or?

Bigger shame on Nissan Renault if they risk the whole organization right now on things like a badge that can easily go back to sleep for another 50 years without anyone noticing...

Going to be some tectonic shifts in the auto industry in the upcoming years. Consolidations, perhaps de-centralization of key production, and an increasing shift to electrification. The current crisis, as much as it threatens companies, also points the way to the future, and that way probably involves fewer trips to the office for a lot of people. Many consumers will themselves undergo forced downsizing,and might be left with a single family vehicle that will have to “do everything”.
Yes and many will be forced out of their car entirely, onto a bus, train or bicycle. Car ownership will soon be out of reach for those in low paid and unskilled employment.
It will be good for congestion but there will be far less of us to share the cost of maintaining the traffic free roads.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes mainly hand assembled. See video :

Production (sales) figures :
View attachment 106947
Very cool! Did not watch it all yet, not as sexy as the 4C How It's Made video and perhaps also a tad 'troubling' as at 1:35 the supervisor has to guide the other employees gluing....does nobody think of these things before release? LoL.
I find it interesting that James May, who hates any 'new' version of 'retro' cars has stated the ALPINE will be the last petrol car he will sell..
Too bad they did not come to this side of the pond, I would have liked to experience it.

·
Registered
Alfa Rosso 2016 4C Spider + 1984 Ferrari 308QV Targa + 1981 Delorean DMC12 Grey Interior
205 Posts
On the future of (real) sports cars, the potential death of Alpine, the bankruptcy of Hertz flooding the used car market and dropping used car prices, artificially "high" used car prices for anything "in demand" (i.e. you could buy a >10k mile C7 Z06 for $3#k all day, spoiled for choice just last month, but the days before bankruptcy, Hertz unloads it's sports cars, their C7's, and theres a sudden media flood of "BARGAIN CORVETTES!!! GETTUM WHILE ITS HOT!!!", So you go look: $55k for the cheapest Z06 with 4#k miles of RENTAL MILES. Wut.
Wait... Wut?), and finally the implosion of last century's setup of the oil industry -
Weigh those developments against the big sellers in the sports car market: 911s, Miatas, BRZ/Supra/Challenger/Mustang/Camaro, Mclaren/Ferrari/Lamborghini (these two groups as a whole niche that largely compete amongst themselves), and now the C8 Vette. They are selling like it's 1960/1970/1990 again yet, all "broke a tradition". By appearances, people hated them idealistically, but now can't shut up about their praises. Cars and Coffees/Instagram have spurred a massive rush on "vintage" (1970-1990) sports/status icons/symbols, which make anything with a pulse on price par with a zero mile new car.
I really cannot see more people toss their cars and take up increasingly broken public transportation (eventually "privatized" in the way Ann Rand warned about in Atlas Shrugged), when oil will continue to level out the share with electric drivetrains (lol, to think many in 2015 were all like "but only 1% of cars are electric" and now, in EV-phobic America, we will be at 14% BEV ownership by the end of this quarter, and over 60% are hybrid/EV/Hydrogen/etc, with a now revised Hagerty projection of 45%+ BEV in the US by 2025. So with this sea level change of diversity, there should be room to make sports cars MORE pure/raw and mass transit appliances MORE leasable/rentable (seems like subscription style Uber/Lyft/autonomous isn't nearly as fast as it could've been, maybe). Visions like the Alpine, Ariel, or the 4c of "affordable super sports" won't have the oxygen to survive. I'm thinking, if Alpine Dodo's, then we are driving a MORE unique expression than maybe we yet understand (not the most ideal, but like, say, a Delorean, Stratos, or a 308/328, a pure expression of a timeframe). Unfortunately, OEM, it came out with a four cylinder that even at birth, was slaughtered by a Model X towing it's competition, and whether we understand it or not, the future "drivers" won't be as capable in mass quantities as we are today to "get" the theatre of the 4c's drive, and likely snap oversteer most of these into a few surviving garage queens. The Alpine is just more a VW version of the FCA 4c, and to our younger generations, the "same thing" like an 90's NSX or a GTR34 is to a teen today.

Alpine's fate may be tied intimately with us and the Lotus Elise to future gens. IMO, the month it dies without hope, is the day our cars might begin to see the "Classic" status it was lauded with by Top Gear/Hagerty/Etc at launch. I will never sell, anyways, but maybe I'll pull any "improvements" towards a "classic" nature (which is half-fake, really), rather than pull towards the future (which the 4c's carbon chassis might be the only thing to be kept). ITB's then...🤣

·
Super Moderator
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes but this is September, not august, and it’s sales not production?
Trying to pay off the holiday rather than looking to purchase a car? Looks like a year to year trend if you can judge fairly from two consecutive Septembers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes exactly that’s what I wanted to understand, but it takes several months to recover each year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts