Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Clearly the 4C makes a lot of different, often loud noises. However, as we move into colder times I took the car out over the weekend and couldn't ignore the return of a very annoying ticking noise.

It is always present but far more noticable with the roof on. It comes from behind my head (UK car so right hand side of vehicle) and occurs constantly when any pressure is applied to the throttle.

If anyone knows what this is, and more importantly, how to stop it I would love to hear.

Thank you,
Peter

·
Registered
242 Posts
There is another thread on this exact same issue. Rattle behind driver in the engine compartment
I think it is not the same kind of rattle. The one in the thread you linked appears on rougher roads, and not on smooth surfaces, independently from the throttle position. Discohead writes of a noise appearing specifically when applying the throttle. I also hear a quick ticking noise from the engine compartment whenever I apply the throttle. I'd be interested in knowing more about this one as well!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had what you describe and could get rid of it by securing the seat belt on the empty seat. After a half day of aggressive driving we noticed two small M6 or M8 bolts that were laying on the ground that probably shook loose and then the noise never returned.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Beg to differ Robocop, I had the ticking noises, sounded like inside the cabin, dealer eliminated it. Happened once more when I was trying to do something with the proxy setting, via the multiecuscan tool, I had tried a new setting, the clicking returned, after going back to original settings all was good. So at any rate I believe you Discohead, you are not hearing things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Peter,

I think (hope!) you have the same issue as me.. and I know what it is and how to help improve it, even if it doesn't remove it completely.

The tip I got came from another forum user.. read the thread here and the post from AAaF about the fuel regulator:
Engine Rattle

My 4C is rattle free until a little bit of heat got into the engine then the annoying engine speed rattle/ticking would start. At first I thought it was a noisy valve or injector.. or maybe even wastegate rattle. However I wrapped my fuel regulator with some insulation foam material and sure enough it's much better now. I really should do a "proper job" on it now I know what it is. Whether this is a feature of all 4C's or some just have noise regulators I don't know... but it's a quick and cheap fix..

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
2015 Black Alfa Romeo 4C, 2008 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise SC
17 Posts
Hey All, Just thought I'd share some data. Last Monday I test drove my first 4C - it was a 2015 LE - and I noticed what I think is described in this thread. It didn't matter what speed I was driving, but even the lightest touch of my foot on the accelerator and I heard this rapid ticking sound. Best way I could describe it is kind of like in my parents day when kids would put cards in their bicycle spokes. That car didn't have an engine cover. The dealer had his mechanic look at it and they figured it was just engine noise that would be muffled when an engine cover was installed. When I take my foot off the accelerator, sound immediately disappears.

This Monday (two days ago), I purchased and drove another 4C - also a 2015, but not a LE. It had the same sound, though not as pronounced...probably because it does have an engine cover.

Anyway, that told me it was just a normal sound. Both cars had under 20k miles. I am going to check out the Engine Rattle thread mentioned above and see if I can insulate/reduce my rattle.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Problem with saying your 4C DI ticks is that it is supposed to tick. Direct Injectors are better at ticking than ticking clocks.

What matters is you have a baseline of ticking, rattles, squeaks, and clunks that are features. Did some sound suddenly change, show up or change when rolling, stationary, on/off throttle? That's bad shit.

My Tacoma, thanks to it's diesel-ish Atkinson cycle, sounds like someone snuck a diesel engine in there. Sounds like valve problems, leaky cylinders and out ticks the ticking 4C. Oh wait! These are not bugs; they are features. The Atkinson cycle keeps an intake valve open slightly on compression (just read about it; ain't getting into it). Sounds like... shit! Sounds like the same shit since day 1. That's means it's good shit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts