Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
641 - 660 of 673 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It’s close. My Tributo unlocked at 172 miles - likely before but that’s when I tried and it went into dynamic. I think it’s 300km / 180 miles technically.
That is the SAM (Special Alfa Module) which recognizes the underfoot sole and determines if it has been throttling 4C's over time. If it determines that the right foot has over "X" miles over "X" cars it will automatically reduce the minimum requirement for that pilot. I know, the Alfa Engineer told me.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 ·
2017 basalt with red. 10K miles. Leather interior, track package, Akra.
The seller is being crucified over suspicious paint. I think that auction is toast.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Flipping aside, he should just post the best additional pictures he can (so that there are no lighting etc. excuses) instead of telling people what to think about the ones he had already posted.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Yeah I feel like I came across as an Alfa fan boy / apologist / defensive and that’s unfortunate. I by no means was making the “nothing to see here” argument but just wanted to make sure people first fully appreciated the amount of (shall we say) “natural variation” that might be expected. it’s sounds like they do and that there might indeed be some history with the car.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
BaT peanut gallery is starting to bother me , i sold my guilia there and honestly i didnt have any issues , however when 4C's are listed some of the wrong people seem to get together to troll ....some can actually effect the sale . Not a good thing . In the end when our day comes it could effect us all .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Honestly, I think BAT is nothing without the peanut gallery. Some people don't know what they are talking about, but there is also a number of people who do (and it is not super hard to tell who is who), and their information is invaluable.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·
Honestly, I think BAT is nothing without the peanut gallery. Some people don't know what they are talking about, but there is also a number of people who do (and it is not super hard to tell who is who), and their information is invaluable.
Yes, agree, some people will pick on the wrong fastener being used in the underside of a 1952 austin healey. Clearly a lot of room for fraud and obfuscation remains, but the community input is what turned it into a runaway success with 500 cars a week. The fact that you can expect someone to at least try to keep the seller honest.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
The effect of PPF on a photographed car means that all bets are off. I don’t know what the answer is but I’d hesitate before selling a car with PPF on it via internet pics. Guaranteed to make the paint appear suspect.

I got mad money for my 981 a few months ago on BaT. I repainted the bumper and it showed damage on carfax from being backed into in front of me in a parking lot. I fixed it right and in the auction I was forthcoming and transparent about everything. I engaged everyone positively even after being clearly baited a few times by the sorts @lars mentions.
In the end it was the 2nd highest selling base Boxster to date, by a good amount.The other high sale was a much newer 718 with far fewer miles.

I think a lot of it is in how you handle the knuckleheads during the auction. The guy with the basalt 4c in question is not doing a particularly stellar job, and people pick up on that and it snowballs.

·
Registered
2015 4C Coupe
181 Posts
Yeah and you see it a lot on BaT... bad pictures. It always amazes me when someone doesn't get the car detailed before taking pictures, then has pictures in weird lighting conditions paired with low-quality images. This car isn't really suffering from being dirty like I have seen on some others but the pictures don't look consistent, some are blurry, some look like they have a filter on them. On a platform like BaT, your pictures are very important. I've seen @John4C criticize these things in the past as well. Spending the $300 to make your car look brand new, and taking some good photos will almost always pay itself back and then some.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Call me crazy, but I think the Basalt Grey car is pristine and the seller I getting treated poorly, possibly to scare away bidders so somebody can get a good price. I‘d be interested if I wasn’t already high bidder on the black one. :)

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Call me crazy, but I think the Basalt Grey car is pristine and the seller I getting treated poorly, possibly to scare away bidders so somebody can get a good price. I‘d be interested if I wasn’t already high bidder on the black one. :)
You’re not the high bidder anymore FYI. Go for it!

(You know what I want…)

·
Registered
378 Posts
People who troll or post in order defame or lower a price should be booted off those sites. Very poor form IMO.

Never rain on someone's auction or for sale post unless something illegal or dubious being offered. Even then I would PM the administrator of the site of my concerns if they were warranted instead of negative post.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I know many of us enjoyed John's epic BaT auction of his carbon-roofed coupe with sport suspension and akro.

I think among us here, we give BaT bidders of 4Cs a really insightful appreciation of their value (in the broad sense, not just monetary) and I think that passion and shared experience is energizing for interested potential owners. I think many have noticed this and commented on BaT the difference between our bunch, and, say, BMW or Porsche people, who, when their cars come up they snipe each other dead constantly.

In fact in John's auction I felt a little guilty just to talk about how I prefer the suspension that beats you up more and the outboard location of the Alfa exhaust. But I said so many wildly positive things about 4Cs in general and his car in particular that I think it made up for it.

Speaking of that, do we know the BaT user "riccardone"? Does he map to a fellow forum member? He always has some good comments about 4C's.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I know many of us enjoyed John's epic BaT auction of his carbon-roofed coupe with sport suspension and akro.

I think among us here, we give BaT bidders of 4Cs a really insightful appreciation of their value (in the broad sense, not just monetary) and I think that passion and shared experience is energizing for interested potential owners. I think many have noticed this and commented on BaT the difference between our bunch, and, say, BMW or Porsche people, who, when their cars come up they snipe each other dead constantly.

In fact in John's auction I felt a little guilty just to talk about how I prefer the suspension that beats you up more and the outboard location of the Alfa exhaust. But I said so many wildly positive things about 4Cs in general and his car in particular that I think it made up for it.

Speaking of that, do we know the BaT user "riccardone"? Does he map to a fellow forum member? He always has some good comments about 4C's.
You were fine, lol. I think it's great that 4C owners tend to wax lyrical about their experiences with the car in those auctions. It says a lot about the car IMHO.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
The basalt car auction is truly entertaining, with a recent comment that “this is the oddest auction I’ve seen in a long time.”

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Nice data point @chester re: your Stelvio’s warranty claims vs, your German stuff.
@neth I didn’t know your had a basalt. I agree they look very good in that color. What interior color is yours? I wonder if basalt with tabacco would be striking? It could work. I’d probably go with black inside but the red seats are so Italian.

641 - 660 of 673 Posts