Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for my 4C's garage mate - Gen 2 Audi R8, Gen 2 Acura NSX, and McLaren 570S/GT.

Over the weekend, I got to spend some time with the 570s, and I must say that the similarities between the two cars in terms of the "driving feel" were striking. Obviously, the 570s is much longer, much more refined, and has 2x cylinders and HPs... But at its core, they felt so similar... like they are brothers (big / small).

When I test drove the Gen 2 NSX and the Gen 2 R8 V10, those two cars felt completely different from the 4C..., but 570s shared so many fundamental DNAs to the 4C. Made me appreciate my 4C even more.

·
Registered
352 Posts
if you like the 570, check out the 600lt, I was hoping to add one this year but car prices as we all know are stupid and buying a McLaren right is akin to catching a falling knife
But I agree, when driving the 570/600 the car has some similarities to the 4c.
The R8 is great in its own way but having driven a couple NSX, that car was so numb. Great in what it could do but I felt like i was driving a fax machine

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

A friend has the 570GT - picked it up this spring. Brutal acceleration but like most cars of this power, it tempts you to flaunt the speed limits to a dangerous degree (at very least, dangerous to your license). It stands out in a crowd and gets lots of looks. Sounds good. Civilized enough that you can take it on a long trip without feeling totally beaten up by the end. They are at a decent price point now, too. Evolution of the MP412C, which is about bottomed out, I'd say.

I've forgotten - is your 4C a coupe or spider? Might be worth looking at the opposite body style, if you are one who appreciates both. Or a hard top convertible like an SL65AMG, or Ferrari California / California T for example.

The R8 is a dream car of mine for sure. I wouldn't kick the 570 or the aforementioned cars out of the garage either though. NSX leaves me blah - exterior styling is OK but not OMG drop dead gorgeous. And interior looks and feels like an Accord. It has some fancy tech, but is that enough to keep you happy? If yes, they great. I think that they are over priced, even for today's market, but what do I know?

The C8 Corvette is another one to consider, although they are pretty expensive (used selling well above MSRP here) now due to supply shortages, whereas in two years you will see one on every block and they will have dropped in price considerably.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am currently in the market for my 4C's garage mate - Gen 2 Audi R8, Gen 2 Acura NSX, and McLaren 570S/GT.

Over the weekend, I got to spend some time with the 570s, and I must say that the similarities between the two cars in terms of the "driving feel" were striking. Obviously, the 570s is much longer, much more refined, and has 2x cylinders and HPs... But at its core, they felt so similar... like they are brothers (big / small).

When I test drove the Gen 2 NSX and the Gen 2 R8 V10, those two cars felt completely different from the 4C..., but 570s shared so many fundamental DNAs to the 4C. Made me appreciate my 4C even more.

This.....

·
Registered
The search is on..............
110 Posts
Ok, you know I've got to put my own 2 cents in here. I went the opposite route. Got the garage mate first and I DON'T have my 4C yet......(had a coupe a while back, but going Spider this time). Mclaren was on my list and so was Ferrari (had no interest in the C8 because they'll be everywhere and worth half of what I paid in a few years) but ultimately chose the Italian version of the Audi R8. To anyone not aware the 2nd Gen Gallardo '09-14 use the R8 drivetrain w/ some minor Italian tweaks. WHY did I choose that ?? Because I'm a tinkerer and the Mclaren does not lend itself well to that..... you can't take it to a Jaguar garage and get it scanned like you can take a Lambo to an Audi garage. Plus look at what things cost at the Mickey Dealer ❗ Then compare to Ferrari $ to $ for what you get and it really put my focus back on the Lambo, which the only downside I felt was the AWD clunkiness.. THAT was easily resolved for $350 hub shafts. All the driveshafts and the transfer case can just be removed without any effect on computers/sensors. THAT was the ticket, along w/ an Akrapovic exhaust system. 8500 rpms out of a normally aspirated V10 w/ an Akra exhaust and you don't care if the radio works. I'm kicking the Germans out of my garage and plan to add another special Italian:love:

BTW - I have NOTHING against a Mclaren, would Love to try one some day...... just didn't fit into my particular needs / requirements at the time....... but things change

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The thing with our 4Cs is they are cheap to run and maintain (🤞) , what we get is supercar looks for daily driver costs, how can anything compete bang per £ ? I’d love a Mac or Ferrari though, it would be awesome but you need the investment, the spare cash. The Alpine is an alternative and it’s very much like the 4C on paper and looks a bit like a Porsche to me.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
@tiger740 - Nice choice of possible stablemates!

I have driven a 570S & 570GT, and ridden in one on the track. As @4Canada noted, they have brutal acceleration, very very capable, and has "MORE" of what the 4C offers. More power, more speed, more comfort, but very much the same enjoyment I get with my 4C. It is almost at the top of my list for a stablemate too... However, a few things are holding me back. First, reliability.... Many preform quite well, but there have simply been too many little electronic and fabrication niggles for me to buy as a "keeper" car. Repair will get very expensive.... I could see a few years of fun, but not long term ownership. Second, I think the powertrain is very well done, but nothing special. The next version from Woking will be more refined, more power, and slightly different powertrain... So due to the ever evolving designs, and nothing truly special (minus F1 and P1), it falls to #2....

The current #1 is an Audi R8 (in aria blue). I believe that the days of the naturally aspirated V10 are very very numbered. So I want to get the car simply for that engine... Everyday usability and comfort is something that my wife would absolutely prefer over the "brutal" 4C. I'll take the oral note of a screaming V10 behind my head any day of the week. Obvious negatives are the "average" design, and nothing special interior.....

I wouldn't turn away from a 458 Speciale, but I think most of the new Ferrari's have gotten too fussy and don't really have the beautiful and elegant lines of the older models.

Oh... I do have to admit I REALLY like the Porsche GT4 RS that was just announced. I think that car would be a total blast and very capable on track!!!

As you noted... dreams of a stablemate will have to wait due to the crazy pricing for new and uses sportscar prices....

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts

What puts me off a McLaren is I have noticed that when a McLaren is listed for sale it often has a note such as....$25,000 maintenance....per year done. That tells me they have lots of niggly $$$ problems.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What puts me off a McLaren is I have noticed that when a McLaren is listed for sale it often has a note such as....$25,000 maintenance....per year done. That tells me they have lots of niggly $$$ problems.
I remember watching a guy on youtube who went with his dad to each buy their own 570s.

All went well until the dealer slapped some bullshit dealer written contract on the table which effectively waved the dealer from fixing any problems that were common due to bad engineering.

The first line item was normal... You must keep the car on a battery maintainer. Sure fine...

Then it turned into:

You must wait for the window to go down before opening the door. We will not replace broken glass. Perhaps the delay on the borderless windows was too long.

You must keep the car in a garage as this sensor will get wet, then fail and we will not replace it. Hmm

The list went on and on and it was very off putting.

• Wow

·
Registered
849 Posts
IMO the Mac, R8 and NSX are different cars. The Macs are fast and roudy, but have depreciation issues. Definitely a big brother to the 4C. The R8 and NSX are daily driver supercars. To myself the R8,NSX are not weekend, get my willies off cars. But they are exceptional if looking for an all around supercar. The other issue with the R8 is that relatively speaking .... they are slow compared to it's competition. A NA V10 weighs alot. I'm also not a big fan of the AWD (again ... adds alot of weight). Steering seems numb and not as playful as a RWD car.

Depends on what you want. Roudy vs. composed car.

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
IMO the Mac, R8 and NSX are different cars. The Macs are fast and roudy, but have depreciation issues. Definitely a big brother to the 4C. The R8 and NSX are daily driver supercars. To myself the R8,NSX are not weekend, get my willies off cars. But they are exceptional if looking for an all around supercar. The other issue with the R8 is that relatively speaking .... they are slow compared to it's competition. A NA V10 weighs alot. I'm also not a big fan of the AWD (again ... adds alot of weight). Steering seems numb and not as playful as a RWD car.

Depends on what you want. Roudy vs. composed car.
Even in all of the different modes? That's a surprise. Weight cannot be hidden, but there's enough to play with when you have throttle by wire and assisted steering, that the engineers could build in an increasing fizz factor as you turn the dial from "sleep" to "sport +" or whatever they might call it. Especially on the NSX that gets the battery boost to play with!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have not driven a latest generation NSX, but I have driven an Audi R8+. With the power it has, it feels anything but heavy on a race track. However, even though they have some anti-squat built into it, it still has the same weird cornering tendencies that other rear-mid engine cars have...

I do agree, it is more of an everyday supercar than a weekend warrior. I don't see that as a bad thing. ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have not driven a latest generation NSX, but I have driven an Audi R8+.
The NSX really left an impression on me. Really fabulous car. When you dig into the construction and design it becomes more and more impressive. The one I drove was the North East Acura NSX demo car. They deliver to any dealership that wants a customer to test drive. It's also the car used by the press and for track days. The car had about 60K miles on and beat to shit week in and out. Had many previous tire residue's on the wheels. If the sales guy said the car had 10K on it I would've believed it. Still tight and drove like new. Wish it had more storage or I would've considered it for a primary car. It's a real event to drive as a car like that should be. I suggest everyone to test drive one.

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
The NSX really left an impression on me. Really fabulous car. When you dig into the construction and design it becomes more and more impressive. The one I drove was the North East Acura NSX demo car. They deliver to any dealership that wants a customer to test drive. It's also the car used by the press and for track days. The car had about 60K miles on and beat to shit week in and out. Had many previous tire residue's on the wheels. If the sales guy said the car had 10K on it I would've believed it. Still tight and drove like new. Wish it had more storage or I would've considered it for a primary car. It's a real event to drive as a car like that should be. I suggest everyone to test drive one.
Glad that it drives better than it looks. I sat in one, and then got back in my Accord and honestly could barely tell the difference. That, to me was disappointing.
But I know what Honda can do with a battery pack and a few electric motors coupled with an ICE drivetrain, so I was hopeful that the driving experience would make up for the interior.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts