Super Moderator
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good news!

Unfortunately, some people will never change their minds (despite never having owned one!), so don't confuse them with facts!
Yes....read the posts on the video. Some guy tried to discredit it since ALFA has only been selling cars again in the last two years....I corrected that error in my post. They have been selling again in the US since 2014....but never stopped in Europe. There are always haters that don't know what they are talking about.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
An excellent find RKBERTA. Now if only Alfa used this and other consumer surveys in their advertising to sell the message. They’ve got to overcome the preknowledge of people knowing what they know of the brand despite the facts which might prevent them from having an Alfa on their shopping list. That’s why I say a purely emotive ad campaign won’t work as well as one combined with facts about reliability and satisfaction.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The article mentions 'emotion', that key thing with Alfas, and especially the 4C is emotion, when driving mine it does your heart and mental health some good, I know the current band wagon is 'mental health' etc(and many are jumping on it, such as our 'royals' in england) but I'm sure I will feel a lot better after a drive in an Alfa than a Audi or Beemer.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
The article mentions 'emotion', that key thing with Alfas, and especially the 4C is emotion, when driving mine it does your heart and mental health some good, I know the current band wagon is 'mental health' etc(and many are jumping on it, such as our 'royals' in england) but I'm sure I will feel a lot better after a drive in an Alfa than a Audi or Beemer.
I took a drive to lunch with my wife in the 4C yesterday. It was a glorious day weather wise. It might seem shallow but there’s something about a 4C drive that lifts your spirits. It’s a truly wonderful and uplifting experience. Ha! Had a 4WD towing a caravan pull over and let me pass too....A great day. If someone’s never driven one, they’ll never know. The vitality in an Alfa as well as good news about reliability needs to be addressed in their advertising to make the decision to buy a heart AND head one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I took a drive to lunch with my wife in the 4C yesterday. It was a glorious day weather wise. It might seem shallow but there’s something about a 4C drive that lifts your spirits. It’s a truly wonderful and uplifting experience. Ha! Had a 4WD towing a caravan pull over and let me pass too....A great day. If someone’s never driven one, they’ll never know. The vitality in an Alfa as well as good news about reliability needs to be addressed in their advertising to make the decision to buy a heart AND head one.
My 4C to me isn't like a car but more like something i want to do.

You want to drive it just for the feeling and experience. You don't need to be going anywhere particular. i think this feeling with cars will be long gone soon with the changes coming. Sad that the future generations will only see us lot on films etc.

But the 4C is(was) the halo car of Alfa, I in fact fell for the G 1750 initially and thought I had my dream car, until I saw the 4C.

I never once was put off by reliability stories but I guess I always want something which the bloke up the road hasn't got.

·
Super Moderator
13,300 Posts
.... If someone’s never driven one, they’ll never know. ...
If someone's never driven one ... then they will complain that it "should have come as a stick"! >:)

And it'll be their loss, that they will never experience the sheer joy that opening up a 4C on clear pavement (that's the road, for the benefit of those in the UK for whom "pavement" means our "sidewalk")

·
Registered
38 Posts
If someone's never driven one ... then they will complain that it "should have come as a stick"! >:)

And it'll be their loss, that they will never experience the sheer joy that opening up a 4C on clear pavement (that's the road, for the benefit of those in the UK for whom "pavement" means our "sidewalk")

therefore they invented the Landy :wink2:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I trust Alfa Romeo, because they show red cars zooming around or looking pretty in all ads. #honesty

Well, as for Alfa, they differ from other companies because they don't show annoying brats piling into their cars with soccer balls as mom/mum and dad ignore the road, only to be saved from disaster by some accident avoidance nonsense... as they grin, like the utter dipshits they are. Then the sun sets on their white asses as their grey/gray/whatever SUV thingy sits in their stupid driveway, which isn't as stupid as their faces after the near-accident almost ended lives.

Alfa Romeo: It's red. Shiny. Fast. Emotion. Italy or something-something background.

Yep, that's pretty honest and trustworthy

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
I trust Alfa Romeo, because they show red cars zooming around or looking pretty in all ads. #honesty

Well, as for Alfa, they differ from other companies because they don't show annoying brats piling into their cars with soccer balls as mom/mum and dad ignore the road, only to be saved from disaster by some accident avoidance nonsense... as they grin, like the utter dipshits they are. Then the sun sets on their white asses as their grey/gray/whatever SUV thingy sits in their stupid driveway, which isn't as stupid as their faces after the near-accident almost ended lives.

Alfa Romeo: It's red. Shiny. Fast. Emotion. Italy or something-something background.

I love your perspective.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re Philsters' comment about the accident avoidance nanny's. A few years ago VW had a TV ad in the US showing a "Dad" talking to his "Daughter" as he was dropping her off at school. Daughter is saying, Oh Dad just drop me off here, Dad says No I will take you all the way. At this time a Car Cuts them off Big Time. The VW skids to a halt and the "Voice Over" says WOW Good thing this New VW has the "Brake Assist". My Wife is watching and Says " And It Is Too Bad that the "Suburban" behind It Does Not Have This Feature!!
What the heck are we "Teaching" our Drivers of today? It is OK NOT to pay attention, In a School Zone No Less, let alone the Actions of the Car that "Sliced" the VW. Again In a School Zone!! No wonder Accident Rates are Up! Let alone Death Rates! When did Not Paying Attention, let alone Driving Become OK? Just Saying! Love my 4C!! Pure Driving Joy every time, It is a weekend car, that I (we) go for a Drive!

·
Super Moderator
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Even with all these new "accident avoidance" and ABS devices on cars....they won't save you from the dipshits. Yesterday my son and I were taking my 4C to a car show. On the way there on a small country town the traffic had slowed to a stop in my lane I was in (normally 45). A pickup driven by a woman decided to cross at a T intersection and turn into the lane that was still moving at posted speed. As they pulled out she pulled in front of a SUV....I don't think the pickup even slowed or looked both ways. The SUV had to pull off into the gravel apron along the road and was unable to stop before going into a bunch of brush. Of course the pickup didn't slow at all and just kept on going oblivious to the carnage they had just caused. The cars didn't hit each other....the SUV did a good job of avoiding the car although he had to go off road. The SUV wasn't going as fast as the speed limit but still when someone pulls out in front of you you have limited options. When all this was going on i was two cars back from the car that she crossed in front of. I could see exactly what was going on and I could imagine one of the cars crashing into me or the other cars stopped. Luckily no cars crashed other than that one SUV and hopefully other than collecting a bunch of weeds that was the limit of the damage.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

You drive on a Beemer and in a Bimmer.

:grin2: Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I like that you put 'royals' in quotation marks. :)

(Beemer = BMW motorcycle. Bimmer = BMW automobile)

·
Super Moderator
13,300 Posts
Alfa adverts (not seen in OZ from what Alfanut has said in other threads) feature cars actually being driven, either sticking in tight corners or hooning around or blasting through tunnels, then being joined by the C38 race car on the highway.

Meanwhile, most luxury brands feature cars driving their passengers somewhere.

Who do I trust more - myself, or the machine? Hmmm, that’s a tough one. Not.

Yeah, I don’t get the desire of modern drivers to castrate themselves and trust in some software engineers to get them safely to where they are going. After all, it’s not like your desktop computer ever crashes or goes rogue. Oh, yours too, eh? Assist technology is a ruse. Autonomous driving a pipe dream. Might work in some California test city, but will never happen in the real world in a blizzard on black ice (exactly when you could use the tech the most - not so that you can sip your grande double latte while surfing, texting, and buttoning your shirt on a summer week day morning).

My “driver with his head up his ass story” relates to two vehicles in a row hitting two different deer crossing the road. I saw it about to happen from the oncoming lane, about 1/2 mile back. Apparently, the first car didn’t, as he hit the first deer and flipped it 15 feet in the air. The F150 behind him did not even brake when it hit the second deer. How, as a driver, can you be so distracted that you miss a 500 lb adult deer flying through the air 40 feet ahead of you? When I could see both animals on the shoulder before hand? And I was the one with the morning sun in my eyes.

That was a great lesson for me - not only about the dangers of deer, but of the threat my fellow drivers pose!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Autonomous driving story is from by Brother who works as a NASA Scientist in Mt. View, Ca. which is maybe a mile from Google. He and a coworker, this coworker being "That Guy" that Every office has one of, went to lunch at a Deli a couple of blocks from the office. His coworker got a text from his boss and headed back to the office. My Brother noticed alot of cars lined up on the side street next to the Deli and figured he should head back. What he Found was the Story here. His Coworker was standing on the corner of a four way intersection where each corner had a stop sign. In the front of him was a prototype Google self driving car. Well "That Guy" was standing perfectly still, until the Google Car started to move at which time he would Jump and start toward the street. The Car Would immediately stop. My brother said that this went on for over half an hour? Seems "That Guy" thought this was Quite Funny? The Person inside the Google Car seemed to miss out on the Humor? as did the drivers stuck behind the Google Car. Thinking that this technology has some Flaws!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts