Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C w package 22C, Coupe Track package, leather upgrade and the forged 18s and 19s.
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfa owners,
I just purchased a 2015 4C w 7,990 miles on it. It has all the options of the Launch Edition except the extra vents in the bumper cover. Got it from a used car dealer outside of Chicago and had it shipped to Gettysburg, PA. I currently own a 2006 Lotus Elise w 97,000 miles on it now! It's spent a considerable amount of time on the tracks around here too, namely VIR and the three at Summit Point. I've had the Alfa for 3 days and took it for about 200 miles of spirited driving yesterday. Here are my initial impressions:
  • What a chassis! It feels so good. Stiff but so forgiving when hitting holes or bumps in the road. A lot quieter than the Lotus. Feels like a real "exotic" car, not just a track weapon like the Lotus.
  • The straight line stability above 90 is horrible. It has a mind of it's own, especially on rougher surface roads. I already ordered the the "race" suspension blocks from Alfa9. Will get those installed this week and report back. I also have a 66 VW Bus. It's steering box had play and was scary to drive above 55. Acted just like the Alfa darting from side to side going down the road. I just installed a rebuilt steering box and it's 200% better. There was no way to drive it with one hand on wheel before, now no problem. In fact I did 72 mph w one hand on the wheel last week:)
  • The Alfa has a lot less interior and especially the trunk, storage than the Lotus. My solution for the interior space, for sunglasses, phone, wallet, change, chap-stick etc was to steal the Sill Sack I had in the Lotus and install it on the drivers side sill between the sill and the seat. These are available for only $19.99 from inokinetic.com. See pic below. Hated to cover up any of the exposed carbon, but this works well for now.
  • What a motor!. A lot more powerful and faster than the Lotus when power matters. Makes great sounds. I'm in love w it. It's the first turbo car I've purchased where I immediately didn't feel a need to chip it.
  • That twin clutch transmission: This was a big reason I purchased the Alfa. I wanted to really experience one and live with it to see if I could "live with it". I'm a huge 3 pedal fan. My other dream car is a Ferrari 458, which of course is only available as a twin clutch so the Alfa is my toe in the water of twin clutch and Italian car ownership. While out driving yesterday w a few of my track driving friends, my buddy Mark drove the Alfa. It was his first time driving a twin clutch too. I was in his 2017 Corvette Grand Sport and following him. I had a hard time keeping up w him in the Alfa. He really liked it and tried it in both manual and auto modes and said it was so good in Auto Dynamic mode he felt no need to shift it w the paddles. I then drove it in that mode and I totally agree w him. This thing rocks on spirited back roads in this mode. I think I'll be able to live w this transmission:)
  • Little gripes: Sticky hazard button. Really, on a 2015 car! A rag and liberal amounts of Simple Green seems to have fixed it. The radio reception is worse than the Lotus. I didn't think that was even possible. I extended the wire on the Lotus antenna wire under the front clam when I had it off and it made about a 20% improvement. The "put your seat belt on alarm" is at least 80 db! Not sure of that measurement, but it's totally annoying. I usually start it, move the seat then buckle up. Might have to switch that sequence up for the Alfa.
These are rare cars, a lot more rare than my Lotus. If any Alfa owners are around south central PA or DC (I live in DC when working) hit me up. I'd love to meet up sometime.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Welcome to the 4C craziness. For the dirtiness on PA roads, an alignment was all that I needed on my 18 spider.

Live in Chester Springs, near West Chester for reference. We end-up out in Lancaster area often as roads are generally smoother than around here. Will catch-up at some point since you’re not that far from where we end-up.

For service, the group at Alfa in Mechanicsburg has been great to work with when I was searching for mine and the shop is in great shape with seemingly caring mechanics. I have not had service there but part of my purchase decision is the conditions that the folks working in the shop deal with daily.

Enjoy your baby, we did a long drive out New Hope area yesterday and now determining where to go today.

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C w package 22C, Coupe Track package, leather upgrade and the forged 18s and 19s.
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the 4C craziness. For the dirtiness on PA roads, an alignment was all that I needed on my 18 spider.

Live in Chester Springs, near West Chester for reference. We end-up out in Lancaster area often as roads are generally smoother than around here. Will catch-up at some point since you’re not that far from where we end-up.

For service, the group at Alfa in Mechanicsburg has been great to work with when I was searching for mine and the shop is in great shape with seemingly caring mechanics. I have not had service there but part of my purchase decision is the conditions that the folks working in the shop deal with daily.

Enjoy your baby, we did a long drive out New Hope area yesterday and now determining where to go today.
I know New Hope. I was born and raised in Buck County. I'll definitely drive out to meet you in the Lancaster area too. Would you mind sharing your alignment specs with me if you have them? I plan on doing that this week after we install the suspension blocks.

Thanks a lot,
John

·
Super Moderator
15,438 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Glad to year that you took the plunge. The 4C is a great little car, with the ethos of your Lotus but (IMHO) better execution. And yes, a seatbelt buzzer that can be heard from two counties away (necessary to be audible above the turn signal, which is also unreasonably loud). Seems to have been fixed by 2016 (at least mine is quieter).

Hope to hear your track impressions on the little Alfa at some point, too.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hello,
Came from Lotus Elise S and a few Opel speedsters (all tuned with one producing nearly 400hp).
Also was a 3 pedal guy. I was a bit scared with an 'automatic'4C :p
But man..... what a car the 4c is.... Race mode and paddle shift! No need for a manual gearbox anymore. (y)
Also my first car i do'nt want to tune anymore. Produces more than enough power for road use.
The attention the 4C gets is also unbelievable ... Love it :love:
Have fun!!!

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
540 Posts
For the alignment is went with barely any toe in up front (0.04 per side), and twice that much toe in rear (0.08 each side), and with better tires the car tracked 10X better. I went with Indy 500 in 215/40 fronts and 255/35 rear. Glad you found a great car!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the alignment is went with barely any toe in up front (0.04 per side), and twice that much toe in rear (0.08 each side), and with better tires the car tracked 10X better. I went with Indy 500 in 215/40 fronts and 255/35 rear. Glad you found a great car!
Thanks a lot B-T. I'll copy you:)

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,462 Posts
Early cars had toe out in front.....go with 0 or tiny bit of toe in and it will track fine. Also....the stock PZeros emphasized tramming....Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone will make a big positive difference in tramming. I feel the specing of PZeros for the car was responsible for much of the early complaints by reviewers.....why that choice.....Italian car = Italian tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just got my Alfa aligned. I ended up pretty spot on the Alfa9 recommended specs w the race blocks. It's so much better now. My starting tow was 37.9 mm out:oops:
My front tires are both 0415 born on date. The rears are much newer. I still think I'll replace them with the recommended choices. I'm going to purchase 12 shims so I can go to -2.25 front camber in the future. For now, I'll stick with my -1.5.
Alfa_alignment_06_2020.jpg

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione Coupe
65 Posts
Welcome to the club and thanks for sharing your 4C story so far. I've had my 4C since January but am only now getting to enjoy it as intended with spirited drives in the canyons and mountains of Southern California. Please do keep us informed on your impressions...I drove a Lotus Exige only one time and wish I'd had more opportunities.

Reactions: Robocop305

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks SilverBean for the welcome. Well I just got back from a spirited drive post the suspension blocks and alignment but still on the P zeros. First, this damn car is seriously quick. I was hardly ever waiting for power. Took it up to 120 on a crowned B road (nothing on the road like houses only woods to die in alone on one side and a huge field on the other). Still a little nervous at that speed. Not sure if the aero is affecting it at that speed. Steering effort is noticeably heavier than the Lotus but I kind of expected that with the Alfa being 25% heavier. (Lotus < 2000 lbs). I ordered a set of Michelin PS4S tires (new name for Pilot Super Sports I've been told), 215/35-18 front and 245/30-19 in the rear. These sizes are both 0.5 inch smaller in diameter than stock. As close as I could come w the PS4Ss. I'll wait to pass final judgement on the Alfa stability after the new tires are on.

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
36 Posts
After receiving my '17 4C coupe 2 days ago, it's been driven sparingly. Spent most of my time cleaning and ingraining the controls to my mind. Prior to closing the deal, was also looking at a used Lotus Evora and a new Fiat 124 Spider. The Lotus was a decade old and the Spider was too Japanese. Made the right choice as she is sooooo Italian!!! Definitely a keeper in my garage!!!
OP, this forum is so helpful. As 4Canada suggested, for any info on how this car works and disassembles is readily available as many members have shared their experiences in detail. Just a matter of searching!!!
Am also a 3 pedal guy, but, am fortunate to have a '20 CTR which addresses those desires. The 4C nevertheless is so much more responsive and just as good in the corners. Power on exit, IMO, is much better.
Was able to hit 110 mph on a straight but unlike your experience, steering remained planted and haven't really experienced any severe tramlining. Could be due to the low mileage plus the tires, which are original Pirellis (DOT '16), have no signs of being tracked. Glad your problem is close to being solved. Looking forward to your thoughts on the ordered Michelins.
Congrats and I continue to look forward to learning from new and current 4C owners!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I forgot to mention that when you install the blocks, you are supposed to turn the toe adjustment in 4 flats. That is not exact, but it will make the driving easier to get the alignment!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome Rottboy. My father lives in Quebec about 100 miles north of Ottawa on a lake up there. It's pretty...pretty much the middle of no where:p. No good roads up his way. No internet either, but he's 80+ so only the younger visitors suffer.
I changed the oil today and installed the Inokinetic mud flags. It went pretty well and I like the way they look and should keep the crap off the sides.
The new tires are in. Will hopefully get them installed this week. I'll report back after install.
Alfa_mud_flaps1.jpg
Alfa_mud_flaps1.jpg
Alfa_mud_flaps2.jpg
Alfa_race_blocks.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK Rottboy, what's a '20 CTR? It can't be what I Googled?

·
Registered
2017 4C Coupe
36 Posts
OK Rottboy, what's a '20 CTR? It can't be what I Googled?
LOL!!! My bad. Honda Civic Type R!!!
When I want to feel my youthful manliness, the 4C is THE car to drive!!! Truely planted with mostly no modern day electronic assistance (in Race mode).
BTW, don't mean any rudeness but in my younger days, up to now, the best strip bars I've ever seen were in Montreal!!
What's the third pic you posted?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's the Alfa9 Supply suspension blocks. I wanted the most castor I could get so I got the race blocks. They come in four different colors so you don't screw up which position on the A arms they go. I just liked the colors against the sexy carbon tub.
I've always loved the 458, but I'm not sure it's that big of an upgrade from the 4C. Here's why:

I love, love, love the interior of the 4C. Exposed carbon just does it for me. Much the way the exposed aluminum in
the Lotus. I like the display a lot, modern and cool. My favorite interior theme is black and red.

I don't need something faster for driving on the street! And I would not track a Ferrari.

Exclusivity. The 4C is more rare than the 458 in the USA. They made ~ 4,000 458s vs. 2,000 4Cs.

Maintenance costs will hopefully be a lot lower for the Alfa. Fingers crossed.

Looks, both are great. The 458 has the badge honor, I'll give it that.

·
Super Moderator
1,268 Posts
It's the Alfa9 Supply suspension blocks. I wanted the most castor I could get so I got the race blocks. They come in four different colors so you don't screw up which position on the A arms they go. I just liked the colors against the sexy carbon tub.
I've always loved the 458, but I'm not sure it's that big of an upgrade from the 4C. Here's why:

I love, love, love the interior of the 4C. Exposed carbon just does it for me. Much the way the exposed aluminum in
the Lotus. I like the display a lot, modern and cool. My favorite interior theme is black and red.

I don't need something faster for driving on the street! And I would not track a Ferrari.

Exclusivity. The 4C is more rare than the 458 in the USA. They made ~ 4,000 458s vs. 2,000 4Cs.

Maintenance costs will hopefully be a lot lower for the Alfa. Fingers crossed.

Looks, both are great. The 458 has the badge honor, I'll give it that.
Don’t forget about the sounds a 458 makes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts