Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post that I am installing this particular lithium battery in tomorrow to replace my current Braille B3121. I have been going through the Braille's about every two years before they start to show signs of dying, which is about the length of time any normal tech battery has lasted in any of my previous performance cars with lots of demand. This one has emergency low voltage shut off so it can restart itself if it goes really low.

Will post any observations, etc. This one is 1200 cranking amps, 30 amp hours, and weighs around 11lbs. The current B3121 I use is 21lbs. It's overkill but with all the stuff on my car like the alcohol injection, etc. always like having a robust battery. Lots of other threads on these lithium batteries as well :)

Musical instrument accessory Camera accessory Electronic instrument Compact cassette Rectangle

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Is the size an exact match with the current battery or does it come with some type of adapter or something?
The one he’s referring to is the drop in replacement. no adapter needed

I’m waiting for my battery to get a little closer to dead and this will be my replacement. Maybe after this winter…

·
Registered
545 Posts
You will love it. Something that never gets discussed is the restart feature frees you from the battery tender bs and extra security for long term storage.

I've been using the little 10Ah ATX20 in my 4C for a little over 3 years and it lasts weeks.

That versions with the remote really top it off.

·
Registered
876 Posts
How do you mount the ATX20?

Reactions: Cyua.z

·
Registered
933 Posts
Have this exact battery for over 19 months, still at over 14 volts, cranking voltage has gradually dropped but tapered, taking weeks now to drop .1 volt, still over 13. Love the bluetooth batt monitoring app, as it basically tells everything.

@DanK what do you mean no need for battery tenders?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Have this exact battery for over 19 months, still at over 14 volts, cranking voltage has gradually dropped but tapered, taking weeks now to drop .1 volt, still over 13. Love the bluetooth batt monitoring app, as it basically tells everything.

@DanK what do you mean no need for battery tenders?
Unlike AGM or lead acid batteries, Lithium polymer batteries shouldn't be stored at a full state of charge. Battery makers recommended storing batteries at 30%~50%. Using a battery tender for lithium keeps it at 100% potentially shortening the life of the battery and some say is a safety concern.

What separates Antigravity from any other Lithium batteries and allows you to kick the tenders is the restart feature of the BMS, it disconnects the battery in the ideal storage voltage range for the battery so you never need to charge it because it takes less than 10minutes for the alternator to charge it back up to 100% and you never run the risk of over discharging the battery and damaging it.

The apps and remotes are definitely neat and I would have probably gotten it but they didn't exist when I bought my batteries.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Units: mm (part size 240.8mm x 172.9mm x 188.72mm
Material: ABS, PC or PCABS NOT>PLA
If you have layer options 0.013" is good enough.

smaller> STL ATX20_battery holderLOres.STL

I'm going to build a few of these next week in black PCABS if your price comes in high. Its easy for me to build another at the same time.

Look on FB or Craig's list for someone offering print service because on a hobby machine you should be able to build this part for a fraction of a commercial print house.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Unlike AGM or lead acid batteries, Lithium polymer batteries shouldn't be stored at a full state of charge. Battery makers recommended storing batteries at 30%~50%. Using a battery tender for lithium keeps it at 100% potentially shortening the life of the battery and some say is a safety concern.

What separates Antigravity from any other Lithium batteries and allows you to kick the tenders is the restart feature of the BMS, it disconnects the battery in the ideal storage voltage range for the battery so you never need to charge it because it takes less than 10minutes for the alternator to charge it back up to 100% and you never run the risk of over discharging the battery and damaging it.

The apps and remotes are definitely neat and I would have probably gotten it but they didn't exist when I bought my batteries.
So these batteries have the program to just shut themselves off? I should read the manual haha...
The issue is if I don't leave it on a smart tender that can phase/intermittent charge the battery and discharge it, it will just shut off and stay charged for months/years? Then, no problem, have the CCA to start up the whole system and happy accept the 100% charge cycle like it didn't matter if the time passed was one day or one year?

Not familiar with LiPo chemistry to answer this question, but if it's black and white in the manual then I'll spend a few more minutes reading. The bluetooth accessory is just a simple bolt on the eyeloops install, simple add on to any battery really as it isn't talking to the battery electronics, but sensing the output/input.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts