Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the upgraded Alpine factory system but not thrilled with the sound nonetheless. I was wondering, would the sound quality improve if the removable faceplate/center area was changed to a higher quality component? I do not want to change the speakers or change the originality of the car otherwise... any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated

·
Super Moderator
4,955 Posts
I know my response has been done to death and not what you’re after but I think that, with the lack of soundproofing and reflective acoustics within the cabin in general, it’s a pointless pursuit. Just get pleasure from listening to the engine and exhaust. It’s hugely entertaining. It’s part of what makes a drive in a 4C like no other. Save the stereo mods for another car.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Not exactly the environment for decent acoustics. Don't need to be an audiophile to figure that out.

The head unit and speakers are probably fine. They stand no chance in that cabin though.

Some nut probably added insulation and dynamat to the cabin and went wild making the 4c a boulevard cruiser with megawatts somewhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was just wondering. All responses certainly make total sense.... I have no interest in modification of vehicle either

·
Super Moderator
3,304 Posts
While I am a musician.....there are places that a radio is not going to reward with great sound....like a 4C. Just listen to the symphony of the engine.
Bruce McLaren's early cars did not come with radios, there wasn't a place for them to be added either. He said you don't need a radio in a proper sports car. Guess now that he is gone that is no longer the case on McLarens....but something to think about.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have to say there are always cases when some tunes can add to the experience; I don't think we need to gatekeep quite as hard here fellas. ;) I listen to the stereo quite a lot in my 4C so I hope that doesn't make me less of an enthusiast!

I have spent some time thinking about this and in time I would like to do something about it. My initial thoughts are that we need more mid bass and bass. I know a guy that is a mobile audio genius and last time I spoke to him he was working on an Elise so something can be done for 4C as well. Just to be clear I'm talking about guys who put little lumps on their windshield at the exact place to cancel out specific reflections at peak resonances to win competitions. Yeah I know you can laugh about the 4C cavern and give up because perfection isn't possible but what is possible? One day I would like to find out. With a processor with calibrated response tuned to strategically placed drivers it's not as simple as saying there are reflections so forget it. All cars have sound wave reflections and many have speakers place in completely the wrong location for decent sound (pointing at your legs or the windshield). In fact at least the 4C doesn't have the complication of a cavernous rear end to worry about.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My recommendation, I use Bose for longer trips.

As the others say, noise and cabin makes it close to impossible. I’m relatively deep in the technical audio nerd segment, and you would need FIR filtering (uncommon) to get around reflections and resonance, but then the noise ruins everything when getting up to speed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wasn't thrilled with my Alpine Premium sound until I added a new Alpine head unit, now it sounds great.....err, as good as it will in this car......sub actually sounds like a sub and mids/highs are better too.....even my wife could tell a difference. The stereo(s) I had in the Elise(s) sounded good too, but I had to add an amplifier/sub/cut the dash for 5.25" speakers, the Alfa was easier to get acceptable sound.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My over-the-air bass sounds are short on bass, but the bass through my app, such as Amazon Music, is good, but the tub makes it... weird.

I crank the music loud enough at speed to recognize it, but when I slow down it is comical how loud it is.

I have an LE with Parrot and upgraded Premium Audio w/sub.

If anyone did improve the sound without adding weight or spending extreme $$, I'd encourage it. For example, I think headrest speakers are a good route to go. Noisy cabins, such as targas and convertibles, have found this as a simple improvement. Magic? No. But getting the sound close to your ears before it's destroyed ain't a bad idea.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the upgraded Alpine factory system but not thrilled with the sound nonetheless. I was wondering, would the sound quality improve if the removable faceplate/center area was changed to a higher quality component? I do not want to change the speakers or change the originality of the car otherwise... any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated
I have the upgraded Alpine. Prior to upgrading anything I would recommend you download the Alpine app. You can fine-tune the sound (parametric EQ and such). I took some of the highs out (harsh to my ears) and boosted the mid and bass region. Although it isn't audiophile grade, I'm quite pleased with it for what it is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It is very much possible to improve the sound without adding a ton of sound deadening or cutting into the car. Take it to a pro you can trust to discuss your options.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've added the Alpine amp, but I'd like to know if anyone has had luck with a DIY speaker upgrade. I've heard the door mounting options are limited...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Look into power pack for a simple upgrade. Quite a few people have had pretty good success with that to get the most of the not so great speakers installed stock. I'm either doing that, plus a small passenger side sub OR doing a new head unit with backup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts