Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1396 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,342
Well... Alfa Romeo Racing is less of a thing, and not more of a thing, as we all hoped. Telling of the future of our beloved brand... the new F1 icon from Alfa Romeo Orlen:

Side note: We were finally getting around to having modern day Alfa Romeo Racing gear, too, so I hope this doesn't ruin that. Some pieces were released last year, but it's hardly common.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,343
And Alfa is 'launching' the 2020 car at 8.20 am local time in front of the garage before testing in Spain.

This is the wrong trajectory. :(

·
Super Moderator
5,445 Posts
Well... Alfa Romeo Racing is less of a thing, and not more of a thing, as we all hoped. Telling of the future of our beloved brand... the new F1 icon from Alfa Romeo Orlen:

View attachment 104532

Side note: We were finally getting around to having modern day Alfa Romeo Racing gear, too, so I hope this doesn't ruin that. Some pieces were released last year, but it's hardly common.
That’s a big no-no in my book. It makes me glad I have a set of last years‘ fashion edition of AR Racing attire. No eagle is gonna bite the bum off our snake and have me smile about it. What some are allowed to do for money....

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
In the US, what channel are the 2020 races going to be on? Will it still be ESPN mostly
I know it's SkySports in the UK

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,348
ESPN through 2022. This is year one of the renewed contract. They're simply simulcasting the SkySports UK feed.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,349
You heard it here first:

2020 will be the last year for Mercedes as an F1 team.

The team will go on, re-branded and owned by someone else, and headed by Toto Wolff , who will own all or part of it.

There are all sorts of potential deals waiting in the wings, with the Lawrence Stroll (Force India owner)... Aston Martin... etc.

A separate Mercedes branded engine building operation, which will go on supplying the former and to-be renamed Merc AMG F1 team, as well as other F1 teams, will carry on.

There are some meetings ahead in February that will help sort it all out.

Rumors have been in all sorts of F1 news stories, but it appears they are now working out the final nuances and preparing to manage both the exit and the messaging around it.

Aston-Martin-Wolff F1 ??

·
Registered
371 Posts
You heard it here first:

The team will go on, re-branded and owned by someone else, and headed by Toto Wolff , who will own all or part of it.

There are all sorts of potential deals waiting in the wings, with the Lawrence Stroll (Force India owner)... Aston Martin... etc.

A separate Mercedes branded engine building operation, which will go on supplying the former and to-be renamed Merc AMG F1 team, as well as other F1 teams, will carry on.

Rumors have been in all sorts of F1 news stories, but it appears they are now working out the final nuances and preparing to manage both the exit and the messaging around it.

Aston-Martin-Wolff F1 ??
wow....guess Hamilton will end up a Ferrarista after all lol ;-)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,351
Maybe he'll drive for Toto under a new team name and transition into F1 ownership as part of the process, because that's a nice diversity selling point.

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
Not at the reported US$60 million/year price tag it isn't a "selling point".
Now, all of the dancing around is beginning to make sense.
Maybe Hamilton wanted a longer commitment than MB was willing to give, and that's why he shopped himself around.

This is getting more interesting than the Spanish Grand Prix was last year. Who am I kidding? My job is more interesting than that!!!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,353
I suspect the budget would come from sponsors. Toto is a pretty smart businessman, and Lewis has some serious potential to draw, too.

With the budget cap, at least you know the mark you have to hit.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It does make sense for MB, why bleed money, when you can make it with a great engine. it will be interesting to see how much of the organization they can keep intact since it is obviously a well oiled machine.

And that's unfortunate that ESPN will have the rights to broadcast. I may have to get a VPN so I can watch it directly on Sky Sports

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,356
Get a VPN... you're missing so much coverage if you use ESPN. The am't of F1 coverage before and after is insane. All motorsports are like this if you get UK/Euro feeds. Worth it just for F1 and Moto GP bonus coverage.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,357
It would only make sense for LH to be an investor because of diversity and the potential deals associated with the marketing around black F1 ownership, etc. Anyway, that's a sidebar to the bigger issue and Merc pulling out, but the team will be fine and if they make it to the budget cap era, the whole thing has a better outlook.

We need something to chat about before now and winter testing (which, as we know, means diddly squat!)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Get a VPN... you're missing so much coverage if you use ESPN. The am't of F1 coverage before and after is insane. All motorsports are like this if you get UK/Euro feeds. Worth it just for F1 and Moto GP bonus coverage.
Any suggestions?
I was also thinking about the F1 app as it is not that expensive.
I agree about ESPN. I do like the SKy Sports guys, so if I could DVR more of them and not have to deal with ESPN, that would be great.
I am actually thinking about changing Streaming Providers to FuboTV as well, and they don't carry ESPN but have a bunch of other sport channels.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You heard it here first:

Aston-Martin-Wolff F1 ??
UK reporting is less black and white about MB leaving F1, current headlines read....

Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari move gathers speed as Mercedes face 'make-or-break meeting' next month to decide whether to quit F1 in an attempt to save £770m

However, I do agree it is looking extremely likely.
Not sure where AM will get their funds from though, they're production car financial performance isn't the best at the moment (along with McLaren).

1341 - 1360 of 1396 Posts