Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1401 - 1420 of 1526 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,405
Merc and Racing Point run 1-2 in practice fastest lap sims.

Racing Point basically adopted and painted last year's Mercedes, trimmed the sidepods based on the more efficient 2020 cooling package for the Merc power unit, then beat their best time last year after 20 mins on the track.

Was enough of an eye-opener to make Lando Norris get negative in interviews... and he is about the most positive person on the grid.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,406 (Edited)
Today in exploiting loopholes in regulations:

Merc has created a system that allows the driver to push or pull the steering wheel in/out to change the front wheels toe (or possibly more).

The system fits within the rules, as the movement of the steering wheel is only allowed to move the front wheels, but the rules do not go much deeper than that.

Merc can run different front toe (at a minimum) on different sectors of the track.

The last 4-5 times Ferrari exploited major loopholes, the innovations were eventually banned, and the loophole closed... rather quickly, too.

This is why you need to be directly and supremely involved in F1 politics to dominate. Toto Wolf is only doing what the Italians, French and British have done for decades. He's dominating the politics, too.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,771 Posts
Brilliant idea....I suspect it might get outlawed though. I can see where this could lead to mechanical failures if not done right. One could take this another step further and change camber in real time also.

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
Wow - how much finesse does an F1 driver have to move the wheel in and out after 90 minutes of hard racing at the G-forces that they experience?
I haven't watched your videos yet - will have to wait until after work.
Presumably, this is something that can be set on the straights and locked in before the braking zone?
It would not be funny to have it get unintentionally changed mid-corner. Even worse if it's the first corner, with every car fighting for the last mm of track space!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Since wheel alignment is not previously controlled by driver why not make it automatically adjust by computer? Why does it have to be manual?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
With all the adjustments they already do
WHILE DRIVING AT INSANE SPEEDS
pulling or pushing the steering wheel is some serious skill to do this without messing up

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
Since wheel alignment is not previously controlled by driver why not make it automatically adjust by computer? Why does it have to be manual?
Drivers must race unaided.
Remember the Renault automated brake bias adjustment at the Japanese GP last year (team DQ’ed in that race), or Alfa’s clutch in Germany which put both cars out of the points?

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Kimi fastest on day 2 of preseason testing in Barcelona. I'll take anything at this stage. Pity he also broke down but early promise.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Drivers must race unaided.
Remember the Renault automated brake bias adjustment at the Japanese GP last year (team DQ’ed in that race), or Alfa’s clutch in Germany which put both cars out of the points?
Unaided? But they don’t control ignition timing or battery regeneration- there are computers doing a lot. They also don’t set up wheel alignment. And as it was never previously something a driver performed it would be no additional “aid” with respect to their current duties. It makes the car faster, but so does a better PU or aero? I’m not saying I’m right but it doesn’t seem so cut and dried to me.

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
DAS banned from 2021.
Was already in the rules. Unclear whether that is coincidence or due to the FIA’s knowledge of this system on the Merc for the past few months.
Either way, not sure if they need to run the season. 7th title in the bag already. Doubt that anyone will be able to develop and perfect a response in time to deploy it

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
Unaided? But they don’t control ignition timing or battery regeneration- there are computers doing a lot. They also don’t set up wheel alignment. And as it was never previously something a driver performed it would be no additional “aid” with respect to their current duties. It makes the car faster, but so does a better PU or aero? I’m not saying I’m right but it doesn’t seem so cut and dried to me.
Sporting rules Article 27.1 “the driver must drive the car unaided”.
Sample interpretations:
Driver can control the brake bias, and clutch engagment.
None of this may be altered automatically. These were examples from last season.

So the DAS (Dual Axis Steering - cleverly named as it is really a dynamic toe adjustment system which would probably be illegal) is acceptable under current regulations as a method of manually turning the front wheels using the steering wheel. But to automate this would be a driver aid and therefore in contravention.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It would not be funny to have it get unintentionally changed mid-corner. Even worse if it's the first corner, with every car fighting for the last mm of track space!
Are you suggesting that it should be banned based on safety considerations? That would be a different conversation

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,419
Good convo. I think it doesn't break a rule, but it breaks the spirit of the rules and becomes active suspension. I'm using precedents set when the FIA shut down the last several Ferrari innovations.

What I'd like to see is all these innovations stay,. The FIA is so inconsistent that it's disheartening.

1401 - 1420 of 1526 Posts