Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I fit that category. I really like Amsoil. For anyone of similar ilk, there is an Amsoil 5w-40 which meets the specs according to Amsoil. It's 5w-40 Euro Blend Mid SAPS. Just put it in mine at 1k miles. I'll eventually test it and report back.
The specs, for those researching other oil, is Euro C3. I did not find a lot of US domestics which were C3 compliant. Many are A3/B3. The only difference I can divine is the SAPS component.
HTH. :|

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Alfa 4C calls for a fully synthetic oil. Most of what's available here in the States is a blend of petroleum and synthetic. Not making any claims, but Mobil 1 is the only common fully synthetic in most auto part stores.

·
Super Moderator
6,844 Posts
I'm thinking Motul at the first early change. I've been very happy with NEO for my 147TS but they don't seem to be producing any C3, catalyst friendly blends. I also use NEO Platinum gear oil in it too. Very smooth changes even when cold and no gear whine at all. I'll be looking to make this change as well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Interesting. According to the product finder on the amsoil page they do not offer an oil that meets the required specs.

After spending a fair amount of time researching oils that meet the published specs, the only one I found that is readily available in the U.S. is Penzoil euro formula 5w40.

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum-full-synthetic-motor-oil/#Specifications

I also checked to see what the dealership is using and was told it is a mopar oil, which is re-branded Penzoil.

Jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that's true. But I researched it more, and the Alfa requirement is Euro C3 compliance. I emailed Amsoil tech and confirmed 5w40 Euro Mid Saps is C3 compliant, and meets with Alfa specs. HTH.

The SAPS reflects additives which reduce wear. Saps are being lowered out of concern for catalytic converter protection. I wanted the mid saps, not low SAPS, to better protect my moving engine parts

I'll test the oil when it's changes and report back.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I may change over to the amsoil for the next oil change.

What are you doing for oil change intervals? I don't believe in waiting until the car tells me it needs an oil change.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If one wants to go the full monty, can get a oil sampler and test your oil to see how it's doing. 27$ prepaid postage + results. I will probably change by time, as I don't think I will accrue that many miles with my driving pattern of the 4C now. Some users just change the filter at intervals, and the oil once a year. Don't think that's practical, given the cost of the oil change at the dealer. If going to pay the price, might as well change oil and filter imho.
HTH

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did my first oil change today at 1100 miles. It took about 1.5 hrs. My AR mechanic at Stateline FIAT/AR ( Dario ) has worked on AR for 20 years and is a great guy. He used Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40. It takes that long because the panel under the engine has to be taken off first. Luckily he let me watch doing it after the car was up ( for security reason ) and that was nice, so he answered lots of questions.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Agreed, none of us need an extra 72 virgins...
Now you tell me!
After all this time I've given to making this lovely explosive belt...

That 72 virgins is a myth by the way
Plus, I always say, I don't want 72 virgins, I'd rather have 4 complete sluts :)
I'm not wasting time educating newbies, I want someone that's experienced :)

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Did my first oil change today at 1100 miles. It took about 1.5 hrs. My AR mechanic at Stateline FIAT/AR ( Dario ) has worked on AR for 20 years and is a great guy. He used Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40. It takes that long because the panel under the engine has to be taken off first. Luckily he let me watch doing it after the car was up ( for security reason ) and that was nice, so he answered lots of questions.
Question is for another thread actually. Was the oil light on and did they reset the idiot light?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Question is for another thread actually. Was the oil light on and did they reset the idiot light?
Oil light was not on. I know it sound a bit of a waste to change oil after only 1100 miles, but after the break in it's actually not a bad idea and intend to keep my 4C for many years and the charge for this oil change was actually much less then expected.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Oil light was not on. I know it sound a bit of a waste to change oil after only 1100 miles, but after the break in it's actually not a bad idea and intend to keep my 4C for many years and the charge for this oil change was actually much less then expected.
Eleven hundred miles. I misread as eleven thousand miles.

Ya, I changed my oil at 3000 for the same reason.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I took Alessandra in for her first oil change at 600 miles…It isn't wasteful in my mind, it's preventative maintenance!!:smile2:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts