Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to Alfa Romeo Rick Case in Davie, Florida. They charged me $479 to change the cam belt.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well shit, I misexplained myself badly. They actually did the drive belt instead. Did not do the water pump and the cam belt. Shit shit shit.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
Well shit, I misexplained myself badly. They actually did the drive belt instead. Did not do the water pump and the cam belt. Shit shit shit.
Oh dear. At least you’re aware now. My experience is to get everything done at once and be done with it for 4-5 years. (Cam belt, accessories air-con belt, tensioner pulley, water pump.) Never experienced a failure in 40 or so years of Alfaing doing this.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh dear. At least you’re aware now. My experience is to get everything done at once and be done with it for 4-5 years. (Cam belt, accessories air-con belt, tensioner pulley, water pump.) Never experienced a failure in 40 or so years of Alfaing doing this.
Yes that's my plan. I told the dealer to give me a quote for the timing belt. You know what, I've read one your post stating that if the drive belt breaks, it can still destroy the engine by hitting the cam belt. I was due for the drive belt anyway, better be safe than sorry.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
Yes that's my plan. I told the dealer to give me a quote for the timing belt. You know what, I've read one your post stating that if the drive belt breaks, it can still destroy the engine by hitting the cam belt. I was due for the drive belt anyway, better be safe than sorry.
Yep, it’s a more common occurrence than you think with older Alfas (of 156/147 heritage) being owned by non-enthusiasts.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a price from Alfa Romeo Rick Case.

$3213.21 for the timing belt, timing tensioner, water pump and 2 gallons of coolant. Talk about RAPE.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Arrigo in West Palm beach is charging me $1974. I feel like I'm being ripped off by Rick Case wtf.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I believe the tensioner on my accessory belt is making noise. The belt in that area is making an odd noise and it’s especially noticeable at startup when it’s rotating slower.

I’m coming up for my annual service, so I plan to have it looked at under warranty. If it’s indeed the problem, I might get a new replacement out of it. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have had good luck with Rick Case and that seems like a fair price.

They want to charge me $3212 for the cambelt and they charged me $479 for accessories drive belt. Arrigo is charging me $1974 for the cambelt. Last time I go to Rick Case and frankly now I'm questioning their integrity. The guy at Rick Case had no answer on why they are quoting me over 1200 than what Arrigo wants to do the job for.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Hell no, I would pay that much for a cam belt. Try other dealers or independent repair shops. Have you checked with Palmetto Alfa? My buddy just bought a Giulia QT from Palmetto and he had a very good experience.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts