Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
do u think if i did the job my self it is too risky and i will regret it?
paying 2k plus seems like to much especially now being out of bussiness

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I consider myself a good mechanic but I don't mess with timing. Give it to a professional. This is not something you want to mess up.

·
Registered
2015 Spider
83 Posts
As I'm coming up on my timing belt, looking at the Gates kit mainly for the metal water pump. Has anyone had any issues with it? Is it recommended over OEM?

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
As I'm coming up on my timing belt, looking at the Gates kit mainly for the metal water pump. Has anyone had any issues with it? Is it recommended over OEM?
What brand is the pump in the kit? Magnetti Marelli do a metal impeller pump and I’ve been using those for 16 years on my 147 without any problems. Edit: I’ll be using a Mag. Marelli water pump on my 4C when the belts are done early next year (March-April).

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The risk is that the timing marks don't line up, and that you are not schooled enough to correct a mistake here. Make sure to mark where the crank sprocket is relative to the cam sprocket before you pull the belt off. Also, make sure you mark it on the block itself. Then, if you messed up, you need to recognize it and know the tricks to figuring out the timing.... or ya know.... you get the same catastrophic engine damage that would occur if the original belt snapped.

You need to invest in parts and tools, which should be a several hundred dollar investment. Have someone you know so well they're the type of person who'd help you move, and plan on killing a Saturday and Sunday with them.

Anything is do-able, but with zero experience and lots of little things to learn and do, it's a major time suck. Study in advance, have a guide and some videos, have someone who can answer questions, don't strip or lose anything and have plenty of time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jamie, Thanks for putting this together!!!!!
I purchased everything to do this from you a month or two ago and will be doing this over Christmas break. I have the service manual, but what you put together is a HUGE help and fills in some gaps, especially for the DIY guy. Part of the fun of owning the 4C for me is tinkering around with routine maintenence. I can't thank you enough!!!

Quick question. You mention you prefer to put a sealent around the water pump o-ring. Do you have a favorite product, and do you put it behind (past the o-ring) and on the flange, or a little on the o-ring itself?

One note, it might be helpful to add the gaskets to your timing belt kit. I missed those when I purchased everything.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I dont have any preference on sealer, any quality silicone sealer will do. We would put sealer on the mounting face.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check the pointer moves off the car, but I suspect you need to tighten it up more!

Thanks Jamie, we'll try again. We decided to replace it with a new one as well. I have to tell you, even with the factory service manual we ended up using your step by step 99% of the time to work on this. Thank you so much for putting that together!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is there a list of torque settings when putting everything back together? Plan to tackle this over the holiday break.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts