Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This few days I can clearly hear a high pitch whining noise in the cabin, the car is only two weeks old with 500km, is it something is not working correctly ? I have do some research some say is the fuel pump or vacuum line or is that normal ? Hope is something worng because the noise is very annoying, on the other hand two week 500km and something is wrong already. :surprise:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yep. I have heard it too. It is not constant, but it does occur on some days.

Oddly enough, I have a very similar high pitch noise in my 87 Alfa Spider. I recently addressed it by replacing a vacuum sensor.

On the 4C, I am betting this is just a normal noise that is a result of no insulation from the motor. Since it is intermittent, I am not sure it is an issue.

But will keep monitoring.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is constant sometimes is more noticeable sometime less but is always there, even my wife notice it, I am pretty sure is not the turbo or the air con compressor because I have switch the a/c on and off to make sure.
I remember a lone time ago I own a Porsche Boxster first generation, same thing happen, I took it to the dealer let them know, they fix it but without telling me whats wrong.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
You'll need to be able to explain it better. What the conditions are when you hear it and so. Even the dealer will tell this, but not so direct.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have had the noise since 200 miles, thought it was the high pressure fuel pump, replaced under warranty, noise still there.
Dealer arranged for the Alfa Rep to visit, bought his box of tricks, turned off fuel pump, noise went away
He said he would be taking the findings back to HQ, so don't expect to hear another word, but at least I know where the noise comes from.
If I'd been looking for mechanical silence I wouldn't have bought the Alfa in the first place.
Makes far less noise than my old 155 Q4

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
As already mentioned, our 4C's are very raw. There is no sound deadening or insulation. Other cars make plenty of noises too, but they have 1000 pounds of insulation wrapped around everything. Our 4C could be whisper quiet too, but they would weigh 3500 pounds (Cayman territory) instead of the 2450 pounds they really are.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have it too and figured it was the fuel pump - thanks for confirming, RedRomeo.
That fuel pump annoyed the hell out of me recently
I was trying to do the auto EQ of the pioneer headunit
And the pump activated every 5 minutes
So when you're sitting there holding the mic, and the noise goes off
You have to restart the Calibration
Wish there was a way do disable that noise every 5 minutes
This was done with the engine off
You'd think engine off means fuel pump is not needed :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is good to know is the fuel pump at least. Hope AR found a way to fix it, will let my dealer know later to see what they say. I am very sensitive to high pitch noise. :crying:

·
Registered
96 Posts
That fuel pump annoyed the hell out of me recently
I was trying to do the auto EQ of the pioneer headunit
And the pump activated every 5 minutes
So when you're sitting there holding the mic, and the noise goes off
You have to restart the Calibration
Wish there was a way do disable that noise every 5 minutes
This was done with the engine off
You'd think engine off means fuel pump is not needed :)
What's that sound when you open the door? I always assumed it was the fuel pump pre-priming the engine. If so, it may repeat after an interval if the key is in the ignition or driver's door is open, etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What's that sound when you open the door? I always assumed it was the fuel pump pre-priming the engine. If so, it may repeat after an interval if the key is in the ignition or driver's door is open, etc.
I thought that the fuel pump only came into play after turning on the ignition, but I could be wrong.

The sound on opening the driver door is identical to that made by the F1 pump in my old Maserati. I'm assuming a similar pump is needed to pressurise the 4C 'box?

The Maser pump relays could get stuck, leading to a more constant whine and potential pump failure due to burnout. Outside chance that this is what the original poster is hearing, but surely unlikely on such a new car?

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
The clutch pressurizing. It's in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The clutch pressurizing. It's in your owner's manual.
"When the driver's door is opened, the system activates the hydraulic components so that they are prepared for the subsequent engine starting"
~ pg. 108 of 83_643_4C_530.05.039_EN_01_10.14_L_LG.pdf

Hydraulic components would certainly include the clutch, and oil, and pressurizing fuel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.