Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Fully vaccinated Americans may enter Canada as of mid-August

The reason I'm :ROFLMAO: is because I have as much faith in our current leader as I would in placing a Drama Teacher in charge of a country.....oh...wait a minute,,,,:LOL::ROFLMAO::p

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Canada will actually block vaccinated Americans from leaving Canada and force them to become citizens, so Justin can inflate your vaccination rates and pat himself on the back. I hope that's the right pronoun for your leader or I might be banned from entry!

·
Premium Member
2018 4c and Stelvio
389 Posts
Another lost summer for us. 300 cases a day in a country of 30mil and they are still shook. The small town where our cabin is in is decimated. It's frustrating.

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Another lost summer for us. 300 cases a day in a country of 30mil and they are still shook. The small town where our cabin is in is decimated. It's frustrating.
That 300 cases was hard-won. It was 8,000 daily as recently as late May. That would be proportionately equivalent to 80k new cases per day in the USA.
And much of the country have been in some form of internal lockdown for most of the time since late 2020. Last time we loosened restrictions within Canada, we wound up ratcheting case counts up exponentially and throwing ourselves into an even stricter lockdown from which we (in Ontario, anyway) are just emerging.

The border closing is agreed by both sides, and is now contemplated to open. But with only about half of both of our countries’ populations fully vaccinated and the super contagious delta variant now the most prevalent in both nations, I don’t know how this will play out.

Don’t look for a full opening of the borders on the 27th. It will be partial at best. Even if you could come, things are far from normal yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Wow I didn’t get any notifications, glad this got a lot of hits. Y’all always get me hyped to make irresponisble financial decisions! On the phone with Montway now and trying to sort out a PPI. Any recos on PPI services?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Fun fact- none of the shippers are able to accommodate since the car doesn’t have at least 6 inches of ground clearance. It needs that to move on and off the boat to get it into Washington. Looks like someone’s gonna have to go up there and get it if they want it! I need to take some vacation soon so we’ll see what happens when the border loosens up.

The dealership sent me some closeup photos, I can supply if anyone’s interested. The rims are pretty scuffed and there’s a chip on the edge of the door. They said it had PPF on the front and doors so there’s that. Doesn’t seem to be any delamination of the dash. They’ll knock $1k off for the condition of the rims. Sorting out a PPI with a local shop now

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Border into Canada to open for non-essential US travelers (believe it or not, Canada Border Services does not consider picking up a 4C to be "essential" - I guess they've never driven one!) on August 9.

Still need proof of two vaccinations, a negative test within 72 hours prior to crossing, and be asymptomatic. But other than that, you're good to go.

Now, if the USA would only reciprocate and open their border to Canadians....

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Fun fact- none of the shippers are able to accommodate since the car doesn’t have at least 6 inches of ground clearance. It needs that to move on and off the boat to get it into Washington. Looks like someone’s gonna have to go up there and get it if they want it! I need to take some vacation soon so we’ll see what happens when the border loosens up.

The dealership sent me some closeup photos, I can supply if anyone’s interested. The rims are pretty scuffed and there’s a chip on the edge of the door. They said it had PPF on the front and doors so there’s that. Doesn’t seem to be any delamination of the dash. They’ll knock $1k off for the condition of the rims. Sorting out a PPI with a local shop now
Great stuff!
Fingers crossed for you.

I guess you could ask for a price from these guys to ship it via road, but I doubt it would be cheap (not likely going to be a lot of high-value cars making the same trip).

I can vouch that they do a good job, though. Used them for a 4C from Vancouver to Ontario.
They do a lot of exotics, concourse cars, etc.
However, chances are that they would be driving all the way up there just for your car, then grouping it with a few more before crossing into the USA.

If you have a tow vehicle, how about renting an enclosed hauler to make the trip? Then, you wouldn't need any temporary plates to get it home.
Or you could maybe come up with two drivers, rent that in Canada, haul the car back as far as the rental place, and drive it home across the border if you have temporary plates.

Oh, did I mention that I was an enabler? ;)
Yeah, I probably should have said that at the outset.

Good luck!

·
Registered
235 Posts

Have them check the undercarriage pretty well.
I know CF doesnt rust but most everything else does.
Its been stored in a pretty harsh climate.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts

You need to go via ocean? You can't run a truck through Canada? A truck can do it. I have used Montway multiple times and their service is excellent IMHO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You need to go via ocean? You can't run a truck through Canada? A truck can do it. I have used Montway multiple times and their service is excellent IMHO.
That's what they're saying, Montway's not able to do it due to the ground clearance. I'm with you though, seems like truck would be easiest. Wrightway can get it to Tacoma but that's it and even that's $1700. Might need to keep waiting for something a bit closer! Seems like a lot of hassle

Have them check the undercarriage pretty well.
I know CF doesnt rust but most everything else does.
Its been stored in a pretty harsh climate.
My thoughts exactly! Good call. Undercarriage + snow + salt doesn't ever seem to end well

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
That's what they're saying, Montway's not able to do it due to the ground clearance. I'm with you though, seems like truck would be easiest. Wrightway can get it to Tacoma but that's it and even that's $1700. Might need to keep waiting for something a bit closer! Seems like a lot of hassle

My thoughts exactly! Good call. Undercarriage + snow + salt doesn't ever seem to end well
I've used Montway for 4Cs. Enclosed trailer clearance works.

Reactions: McStelvio

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like another Washingtonian in the hunt for this one. I am on the fence myself so I figured I'd share information and possibly avoid temptation. There is only one key with the car, no inflator, no car cover. Pretty good scuffs under the chin. No open recalls according to the Mopar site. "Correct" (for better or worse) new Pirelli PZero AR tires. Wheels have a fair amount of curb rash as you mentioned but also work the bolt tightening and timing belt services due and lack of the key and other accessories that were on the window sticker to try to lower the price further. I tried to get $2,000 off with no firm answer or deal but I bet they would go for that if it sits much longer. The longer this stays available the more I am tempted to get a plane ticket and head up. A little roll of the dice but seems like a good risk (maybe).

·
Registered
235 Posts
The rims probably got knackered by a tire machine maybe.
Is it really worth all the hassles of getting the car to the lower 48?
I had my car shipped open carrier. It was a truck just like the ones they deliver cars to the dealer.
No clearance issues.
The problem here is I dont think its a very common route for most drivers.
IDK

·
Registered
715 Posts
Maybe ship the car to Sweden. They don't seem to have any Covid issues, and they have been the outlier in not having restrictions this entire time basically.

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Maybe ship the car to Sweden. They don't seem to have any Covid issues, and they have been the outlier in not having restrictions this entire time basically.
Dunno 1.1 million cases in a country of 10.1 million people isn't inconsequential.
540 new cases yesterday (we're half that many new cases, with 3.5 times the population, and still gun-shy about opening).
Sweden has just been rather cavalier about the whole thing, and it has resulted in killing off about 0.15% of their population (compared to 0.19% of the US population or 0.07% of Canadians).
But they have now 37% fully vaccinated (not hard to acheive for a rich, well educated country of just over 10 million souls).

·
Registered
465 Posts
And yet the death numbers for the whole country don't show this. Approximately 7k more died in 2020 than in a typical year in Sweden....or about 0.07%. If Sven has covid and dies of a heart attack, what is his cause of death? In the US, covid killed him. Looking at the trending death rates per country and comparing them with current stats will net a better understanding of covid impact and allow a more honest discussion. We all know the counting is fuzzy, why don't we look more at the trends that paint a better picture of the impact?

Sorry. Back to the Alaska 4c....

·
Registered
41 Posts
okay have them put the car on a trailer that you buy when you are up there. then get a local to bring it to the boat. Then send the trailer and the car to your closest port. head over with your own pickup truck. get the car and trailer. bonus No extra miles and a good reason to get a trailer for the car

21 - 40 of 41 Posts