Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This season I will be getting the timing belt etc done but the question is where?

- GT customs - highly recommended and price seem fair. already have cam lock tool on hand.
quoted

$1600 plus tax for belt/water pump replacement (not sure if pully is included)
Additional $700 for bolt tightening at the same time.

-Alfa Oakville

$1590 plus tax for belt and pump replacement. However, told me they have never done the job before so this will be the first time.

Where would you take yours or have taken for the belt replacement?

I am leaning towards oakville since my car is still under warranty as well as i do have a great relationship with oakville. they also provide loaners and all work backed by the dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This season I will be getting the timing belt etc done but the question is where?

- GT customs - highly recommended and price seem fair. already have cam lock tool on hand.
quoted

$1600 plus tax for belt/water pump replacement (not sure if pully is included)
Additional $700 for bolt tightening at the same time.

-Alfa Oakville

$1590 plus tax for belt and pump replacement. However, told me they have never done the job before so this will be the first time.

Where would you take yours or have taken for the belt replacement?

I am leaning towards oakville since my car is still under warranty as well as i do have a great relationship with oakville. they also provide loaners and all work backed by the dealership.
I had mine checked and inspected this past fall 2020 by Sergiu team at downtown Alfa. Honest team. I did not need it done. Give them a call.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
I'm surprised that Oakville hasn't done one yet - they sold cars from spring 2015, so last year many would have been due.

I assume that Marenello quoted higher? They would have done some by now.

It's not rocket science - you could likely trust a good independent to do the job.
But I guarantee you that if there is an engine problem during the balance of the warranty period and they find that this was done by other than an Alfa dealership, no Remo Ferri service advisor is going to cover it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised that Oakville hasn't done one yet - they sold cars from spring 2015, so last year many would have been due.

It's not rocket science - you could likely trust a good independent to do the job.
But I guarantee you that if there is an engine problem during the balance of the warranty period and they find that this was done by other than an Alfa dealership, no Remo Ferri service advisor is going to cover it.
That is exactly why i am leaning towards getting it done by the alfa oakville. Marenello have done it and they also quoted exactly same since they are owned by the same management. Since it really isnt a rocket science i dont see harm in becoming a first one to be done by oakville....

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

I think that pretty much any AR dealership would try to walk away from a blown engine if it was not done by an authorized Alfa/Fiat/etc centre.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
I think that pretty much any AR dealership would try to walk away from a blown engine if it was not done by an authorized Alfa/Fiat/etc centre.
Probably so. But there have been a couple of interesting comments here about RFG stores advising that almost any mod, certainly not done by them, would "void the warranty".

I have had no bad experiences with them in my (albeit brief) exposure to these dealerships, and even the reports here have not been particularly bad (except when they sold someone a replacement ARR tire and it turned out to be a regular P-Zero but they wouldn't own up to it - and the driver tracks his car, so that could have ended very poorly indeed! :oops: ).

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Probably so. But there have been a couple of interesting comments here about RFG stores advising that almost any mod, certainly not done by them, would "void the warranty".

I have had no bad experiences with them in my (albeit brief) exposure to these dealerships, and even the reports here have not been particularly bad (except when they sold someone a replacement ARR tire and it turned out to be a regular P-Zero but they wouldn't own up to it - and the driver tracks his car, so that could have ended very poorly indeed! :oops: ).
I've had the same "void warranty" advisories from GTA Porsche Dealerships. I have also had very good "no questions asked" repairs for my modded JCW (Chiptune/CAI/ KW V2 -which the dealership installed....oh and that was Mini Vaughan West an RFG dealership). I guess, like everything else, it comes down with who you are dealing with, and your Service Advisor may be "key". Guess what I'm saying is that any dealership willing to forgo "Repair $$$$" is willing to give that up because they will not get the money back from AR. I am not familiar, but very surprised, with the ARR tire story as that, if true, is truly unacceptable and could have been a very expensive lawsuit amongst other things!

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
I've had the same "void warranty" advisories from GTA Porsche Dealerships. I have also had very good "no questions asked" repairs for my modded JCW (Chiptune/CAI/ KW V2 -which the dealership installed....oh and that was Mini Vaughan West an RFG dealership). I guess, like everything else, it comes down with who you are dealing with, and your Service Advisor may be "key". Guess what I'm saying is that any dealership willing to forgo "Repair $$$$" is willing to give that up because they will not get the money back from AR. I am not familiar, but very surprised, with the ARR tire story as that, if true, is truly unacceptable and could have been a very expensive lawsuit amongst other things!
Agree. 100%

And as for the story, I would not have shared it had I not believed it to be true.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Apologies, Alfamaserati Toronto. I thought it would be shown. If not then I’d call Frank at Speedstars or or Ilker at SportsCarBoutique.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Speedster has never done the job on 4c (ive asked frank) at least as of late last year.

So what are you getting done for 2700 at downtown alfa?
Timing belt and associated belts,tensioners, water pump, spark plugs,all fluids, brakes, alignment. $2700 is just for the belt service.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Timing belt and associated belts,tensioners, water pump, spark plugs,all fluids, brakes, alignment. $2700 is just for the belt service.
Seems like downtown alfa labor charge is a lot more for Maranello/Oakville Alfa.
Just for the belt not including water pump at Oakville was quoted at $1200. $1580 with water pump. Thought this was very reasonable price so i checked with Maranello thinking that Oakville has never done one so they must have underestimated the time, but it was also same with Maranello.

This is why I've been questioning the price as price jumps from one to another even with official alfa dealerships...

Any reason for changing the spark plugs?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Seems like downtown alfa labor charge is a lot more for Maranello/Oakville Alfa.
Just for the belt not including water pump at Oakville was quoted at $1200. $1580 with water pump. Thought this was very reasonable price so i checked with Maranello thinking that Oakville has never done one so they must have underestimated the time, but it was also same with Maranello.

This is why I've been questioning the price as price jumps from one to another even with official alfa dealerships...

Any reason for changing the spark plugs?
I just received an estimate. The plugs are no charge. I’m having a list of preventative bits done as well so I won’t know the actual price until I get the bill.
Being under warranty I’m not in favour of having an Indy do the work.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just received an estimate. The plugs are no charge. I’m having a list of preventative bits done as well so I won’t know the actual price until I get the bill.
Being under warranty I’m not in favour of having an Indy do the work.
I agree that while within warranty period, one should get it done by the dealers just in case. Most likely I will take it in to Alfa Oakville..
Thanks for the info tho.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If your car is still under warranty I would go the dealer route. Unfortunately I've had several bad experiences with Oakville working on my my 4C. So I have no trust in them to do the job right.

If you want to go the independent route GT Customs is awesome. I've had work done by them. Another great option is Adrena Garage in Oakville. Tell them Colin sent you and they will take care of you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your car is still under warranty I would go the dealer route. Unfortunately I've had several bad experiences with Oakville working on my my 4C. So I have no trust in them to do the job right.

If you want to go the independent route GT Customs is awesome. I've had work done by them. Another great option is Adrena Garage in Oakville. Tell them Colin sent you and they will take care of you.
Thanks for sharing. I did also have a less than stellar experience with my qv handled by one of the mech. But they made it right and ever since then only shop foreman was working on my cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts