Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us know about Orque in Japan who do performance parts for the Fiat 500 Abarth and Alfa Julietta. These performance parts for the 4C look interesting. Which pioneer would like to install these and provide some feedback for the group??? ;)

http://www.orque.co.jp/

Their HFC DP and catless DP look interesting. We don't know if there would be any O2 sensor related CEL or if you would need a specific/proprietary tune for these DP to fully take advantage. Other 4C race "experts" have stated that with track testing, a HFC or straight pipe does not yield of hp/tq to justify the cost and PITA install. There is also the increased and sometimes intolerable noise associated with a HFC or catless DP. Orque's pricing for the HFC DP looks tempting at 160000Y and catless DP at 90,000Y.

Product Description:
It is a sports catalyst & adapter which developed development of power-up and accelerator response top priority. A genuine catalyst for a 1750 cc multi-air engine has large resistance, and because piping shape leading to the front pipe is bad due to large size, it prevents smooth rotation of the turbine in a large high rotation area, resulting in large exhaust resistance. Therefore, we have greatly improved the efficiency by combining piping shape with high efficiency, layout design, high efficiency metal catalyzer. Suppressing the time lag of the turbo, realizing a sharp rise. Furthermore, it will contribute greatly to power-up by increasing overshoot. It also contributes to weight saving, and of course the exhaust notes change to lace more (Catalyst adapters may require O 2 sensor canceller installation). (The picture for Julietta)
Sports catalyst system (photo left) \ 160,000, -
Catalyst adapter (photo right) \ 90,000, -

Their triple blued tip Y-pipe exhaust with electronic bypass silencer looks interesting. Very JDM-ish but very Ferrari F40-ish. However, at 220,000, that's somewhat steep for just the Y-pipe although the product description hints at it being Titanium.

Product Description:
Italian super sporty seems to be the most charming 4C, but the exhaust note is just noise and the tail end design is unbelievable boring style. Therefore, triple pipe is arranged in the center in the center, the titanium part of the W ring which becomes the classic style of Oreka is adopted in the end part. Pipe layout short-straight and wide from the turbine greatly improves exhaust efficiency, contributing greatly to accelerator response and top-end growth.
Of course, although the main focus of the design is power up, it is equipped with a variable port system developed by a new idea that was not in the past muffler layout, with silencers placed only in the center pipe. When the exhaust pressure exceeds a certain line, the exhaust note increases the volume naturally with the variable port that increases efficiency. Since the sound quality is tuned to a racing-like clear tone, by a synergistic effect with power-up, a driving pleasure up a notch is produced. Team Oreka is absolutely confident about his performance.
While suppressing the volume at the time of idling, it is also a big appeal to play an alpha-like exhaust sound with the rise of rotation, but in the new model, while maintaining the power of the high revolution range, the volume (proximity measurement) at idle is set to 5 dB I reduced it.

220,000, -
Opponent racing mesh grill 3 point kit \ 28,000, -

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry, my OCD won't let me put a 3 pipe exhaust on a 4cyl car, I don't care how cool or blue or titanium it is :) Unless it shot flames.

Looks neat, especially the downpipes, but with a tune and an intake already, we're already pushing the limits on what the transmission can handle I believe. You're right, we'd probably need to get [email protected] a sample first. O2 bungs can usually be added, but when I was looking under the car for the mid-pipe install, that downpipe almost looked painful to swap.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I agree, don't like the triple exhaust... Feels so Corvette'ish with their 4 pipe design...

·
Administrator
18,861 Posts
I thought the 3-pipe was a neat way of handling the 2-mode exhaust. It is a bit wonky looking, and I really wonder if the muffler in the centre exit pipe would have much to do without a valve to direct the exhaust to it. Wouldn't it just go the path of least restriction, out the un-silenced side ports anyway?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Yup, 4Canada.... Would need 2 valves in that kind of configuration to get any flow into the "muffled" middle port. It does not appear to have the necessary valves. A better option would be to have one "Open" center pipe and side mufflered exits. This way you only need one valve. However, I'm not sure how much quieting you get with a muffler that small. My Capristo cans are fairly big to quiet it down...

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I like the initial concept. That would be to allow the engine and turbo to spin up sooner, quicker. And the new downpipe looks nice. It doesn't look squished, it looks round, open, flowing.

The translation from Japanese seems to loose something, but the idea is there. As with most things JDM (Japanese Domestic Market), it's all about eye candy and ear candy with actual performance being at the bottom of the list.

I've seen a few pics posted to this forum of professional level 4C race cars. They've used a three port exhaust tailpipe as well. But in a completely different concept. Two larger pipes are for engine exhaust and a small pipe for waste gate blow off.

Being that it's a four into one system going into the turbo, and needing to remain singular through the catalytic converter, opening it back up into multiple pipes doesn't improve the exhaust flow. The only real reason, other than looks, is that the existing bodywork doesn't provide the space for a single large diameter pipe.

I'd like to see a Tri-Y between the engine and turbo. That was the most effective header system on these small four bangers. That was on naturally asperated engines. A megaphone tailpipe helped to pull the exhaust out and add a small bit of improvement. But, the turbo being in the middle, and a cat as well, this may not be effective.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just my 2 cents
A large downpipe will increase the performance about 5-7 bhp and 10 N m
How much would a sport catylst increase ;)
With OE mapping (and maybe some tunes) you will get a big peak in temperature which could damage the engine on longer term.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Even without any actual torque or horse power gain, the possibility of the engine and turbo spinning up faster is desirable. This reduces lag, and gives you access to the power sooner. And the translated article said that much. That increases acceleration times.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even without any actual torque or horse power gain, the possibility of the engine and turbo spinning up faster is desirable. This reduces lag, and gives you access to the power sooner. And the translated article said that much. That increases acceleration times.

...until the TCM's torque limiter senses the faster than factory programmed spool up and rachets up the slipping of the friction plate which negates any gains of quicker spool up.....lol, smh. :|

Reactions: kevinl

·
Registered
8,541 Posts

...until the TCM's torque limiter senses the faster than factory programmed spool up and rachets up the slipping of the friction plate which negates any gains of quicker spool up.....lol, smh.
Which implies that the upgrade isn't complete yet. It needs a TCM software upgrade as well.

AutoFlash comes to mind. But I don't know exactly what that includes. This does demonstrate that it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

·
Administrator
18,861 Posts
That exhaust is like 2k shipped to the USA.... :surprise:
A lot of JDM stuff is expensive. My Noblesse system was about $1,400 plus shipping.
If an importer carries the line here, or has buyers in Japan who fill containers, and if one can wait, then the shipping drops dramatically.
Not sure about any of our vendors here, but Bulletproof Automotive in California or KamiSpeed in Florida do this all the time.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I have 3 pipes under the 4C and it's sounds fantastic :grin2: I bought the 4C include this exhaust, it's a custom build by EPS in Holland. Last week the Alfa was on the dyno and it had 261ps (standard)
Interesting. Do you have any pictures of the rest of the exhaust system?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.