Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I switched from Android to iPhone so I have to buy my track app that I use for my track days.

On Android Iused Harry's lap timer which was very good, but since I have to buy it again I saw Track Addict. It also looks good.

So for people that use Track Addict, can you tell me what you think of it?

David G.

·
Super Moderator
15,653 Posts
Haven't because it doesn't have my local track (I downloaded it but have yet to try it, and am too lazy to create a new track).

But HLT was actually developed for iOS. So if you liked it on Android it should only be better on an iPhone. It doesn't give you all that much data though.

Race Chrono provides a lot of good data, including tables of sector times and an optimal lap for the session. Also recorded are high/low/average speeds, G-force, distance traveled, actual GPS sampling frequency, and some other details. Depending on how good your GPS is (likely the case for any such app), a map of your lines with high and low speed is also provided for each lap.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Another Race Chrono user here. All of them are decent so you can't go wrong using any of them. It really just comes down to what you are using the app for... One thing to note is that if you want to share/compare your data, make sure you use an app that has a format/support for exchange..

This site allows you to upload data from several different apps for comparisons: Serious-Racing | A community of motorsports enthusiasts.

However, I don't see Track Addict as being support, but it's possible they have a compatible format they use which is similar to the ones listed.

·
Registered
2016 Spider
111 Posts
Try Hotlap too, it is fairly newer than others with more features in free version, you can see your statistics per track section turn by turn and compare with others that shared their data. I let my instructor do 3 laps in my car and I used it as a reference to improve my lap times.
Also I like interface better than other. I had a glitch with logging in to my account once to capture my data and I had difficulties doing so however support was generous enough to help and give advice to me even as a free user.
The only missing feature is, it does not have an option to record video during sessions but not a big deal for me as I use my gopro and dashcam to record videos.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
How do the others compare to Harry’s? I use Harry because of the OBDII integration, and the very small bad elf dongle for more accurate gps (Harry incorporates it).

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm with Harry's LapTimer Petrolhead Edition on iPhone...it works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
I know you didn't ask this, but buy a hardware lap timer... I had Harry's Lap Timer on Android and it was never THAT reliable and would only get about 1/2 my runs and getting any OBDII data was often a challenge. The hardware ones are more expensive, but far more reliable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use Trackaddict for my autox runs. So far it's been great, I have a joying HU en route that I'm hoping to integrate it into and hopefully get the same results.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,582 Posts
Check out Garmin VIRB camera which is a GOPRO competitor but with ability to link to your OBD wirelessly (BT) with a cheap dongle from Amazon and has all kinds of user selectable information that can be overlaid on a video from both the high speed GPS in the camera as well as the car OBDII. It will also create its own track display as you take the first lap. It has more functions and better than simple phone apps. A full blown dedicated track setup would be even better of course but the VIRB is really nice for the money. The nice part is that it can be used for everyday use, as a dash cam, in other sports, has excellent video and still shot image, etc.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How do the others compare to Harry’s? I use Harry because of the OBDII integration, and the very small bad elf dongle for more accurate gps (Harry incorporates it).
RaceChrono does the same. You can interact with a Bluetooth enabled OBDII dongle and an external GPS. Basically, anything you phone can interact with, most of the other apps support as well.

I know you didn't ask this, but buy a hardware lap timer... I had Harry's Lap Timer on Android and it was never THAT reliable and would only get about 1/2 my runs and getting any OBDII data was often a challenge. The hardware ones are more expensive, but far more reliable.
All of the phone apps are only as good as the GPS frequency of the phone. Most phones are around 1Hz where as most dedicated devices will be anywhere from 4-10Hz depending on how much you pay. ;) That being said, the cheapo phone I used in the past was typically less than 2 tenths off my transponder recorded time.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Check out Garmin VIRB camera which is a GOPRO competitor but with ability to link to your OBD wirelessly (BT) with a cheap dongle from Amazon and has all kinds of user selectable information that can be overlaid on a video from both the high speed GPS in the camera as well as the car OBDII. It will also create its own track display as you take the first lap. It has more functions and better than simple phone apps. A full blown dedicated track setup would be even better of course but the VIRB is really nice for the money. The nice part is that it can be used for everyday use, as a dash cam, in other sports, has excellent video and still shot image, etc.
You forgot to mention that if you use multiple Garmin’s at the same time, that they sync and you can get multiple angles or picture in picture that requires no extra synchronization. Both the VIRB computer software and Final Cut Pro recognize the time stamps. You can also adjust the pic vs gps offset.
Here’s a short clip where I used the OBDII and a heart rate monitor as well.

·
Super Moderator
15,653 Posts
All of the phone apps are only as good as the GPS frequency of the phone. Most phones are around 1Hz where as most dedicated devices will be anywhere from 4-10Hz depending on how much you pay. ;) That being said, the cheapo phone I used in the past was typically less than 2 tenths off my transponder recorded time.
I agree with the premis. Interesting re the difference in times that you've encountered. I've had some 1Hz times returned that are 4-5 seconds better than my very best times (and better than Mister_2 or John Elliott on the same track, both of whom are faster than I am). Race Chrono gives you the actual GPS refresh rate, which usually runs 6 to 9 Hz on my 10Hz bluetooth receiver. Typically, when using just the phone, the app (Harrys or Chrono) will miss the start/end of laps. I've occasionally had a "lap" that lasted the entire session (you'd think I was driving the Nurburgring!!!! LOL).

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree with the premis. Interesting re the difference in times that you've encountered. I've had some 1Hz times returned that are 4-5 seconds better than my very best times (and better than Mister_2 or John Elliott on the same track, both of whom are faster than I am). Race Chrono gives you the actual GPS refresh rate, which usually runs 6 to 9 Hz on my 10Hz bluetooth receiver. Typically, when using just the phone, the app (Harrys or Chrono) will miss the start/end of laps. I've occasionally had a "lap" that lasted the entire session (you'd think I was driving the Nurburgring!!!! LOL).
Could be satellite location differences. Most of my tracks are in the midwest, stuck out in the middle of no where. :p

However, accurate times weren't my biggest problem with using a phone:

:LOL:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Check out Garmin VIRB camera which is a GOPRO competitor but with ability to link to your OBD wirelessly (BT) with a cheap dongle from Amazon and has all kinds of user selectable information that can be overlaid on a video from both the high speed GPS in the camera as well as the car OBDII.
Seconded the VIRB ultra 30, I've been using it for years, and the laptimes are more accurate than my phone. (however I have a AIM SOLO now so that is moot). Stability and spot metering on it are top notch.

The only thing is I havent been able to find external mics for it, if anyone has recommendations let me know!

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
479 Posts
I've used MYLAPS speedhive (free with registration, uses many different physical transponders) and never needed anything else.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,582 Posts
Seconded the VIRB ultra 30, I've been using it for years, and the laptimes are more accurate than my phone. (however I have a AIM SOLO now so that is moot). Stability and spot metering on it are top notch.

The only thing is I haven't been able to find external mics for it, if anyone has recommendations let me know!
I used one of those BT phone devices that fit over your ear and provide sound and mike. I paired with my Garmin and it solved one issue I had.....I wanted to use voice to tell it to start recording video and or take a snap shot, etc. The VIRB Ultra has that ability which works great in a normal car....but the 4C is loud and with a race helmet on it won't pick it up. The little BT mike/speaker device worked fine and I could wear it under my helmet. I do the occasional autocross and the Garmin works great for capturing very good video and as he demo above shows....gives you the option to put LOTS of different info on a movie to play back. The data it uses is saved in a file that is not part of the video so you can create multiple videos with different choices of data templates overlays. The Garmin is 10 Hz so fast GPS. It is very good at eliminating bouncing in the video too. You do need to play with the various options for setup but the results can be really amazing. I only have the one device but two or more of them would allow multiple shots from different positions and could be edited in the VIRB edit program which uses time stamps so a very professional final product is produced. I found that instead of going with 4K, going down a level or two (I usually stay with 1080p allows even more options to be used. As you create the various options you than save that setup in a drop down menu so you can recall those settings. I have mine with auto cross setup, bike race mode, dash cam mode, kayak mode (Garmin has a water proof case for it that is very good), etc. It also takes a darn good video of course for general use.
I have had mine for about 3 years and it has never had an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts