• CF halo, NO sag

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • CF halo, sags

Votes: 14 25.5%
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
I was in the car wash business for over 10 years (express tunnels) my cars are hand washed only. Since purchasing the car in December it's been garage stored along with my other cars. Dealer is claiming that the front bumper has been repainted. Purchased the car with 70 miles on the odometer. Had it looked at by experts and they claimed the bumpers never been repainted and it's a factory defect ( no flex in the paint) also the paint is peeling away from the body inside the wheel wells . Others on the board have had similar cracking on the front and rear bumpers. Just looked at my invoice and I don't see any mention of the rear sagging Halo.
Just asking. Thanks for describing the situation. Looks like an AlfaCares issue if the dealer won’t do the decent thing. Hope you don’t have to go to extremes and hand it back under your lemon laws.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Look. I own the car. Knock on wood .... the car has been flawless for the last 2 yrs of ownership. Maybe the suspect Italian engineering is a myth. I hope so with my car. Regardless .... the build quality of Italian cars vs. German cars is measurable. If you believe both marques regarding build quality are on par with each other. Than fine. I do not believe they are.

The point I was making is that the 4C is light weight. Not heavy duty. The car is fragile in certain areas and those areas will be the 1st to show wear and possible defects.

I bought the 4C knowing all of this. I am thoroughly in love with my car .... despite it's faults. But go ahead .... continue this thread about the warping, sagging halo. The shrinking dash. The peeling paint.

Reactions: JSTACOG and Veloce2

·
Registered
65 Posts
Look. I own the car. Knock on wood .... the car has been flawless for the last 2 yrs of ownership. Maybe the suspect Italian engineering is a myth. I hope so with my car. Regardless .... the build quality of Italian cars vs. German cars is measurable. If you believe both marques regarding build quality are on par with each other. Than fine. I do not believe they are.

The point I was making is that the 4C is light weight. Not heavy duty. The car is fragile in certain areas and those areas will be the 1st to show wear and possible defects.

I bought the 4C knowing all of this. I am thoroughly in love with my car .... despite it's faults. But go ahead .... continue this thread about the warping, sagging halo. The shrinking dash. The peeling paint.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It looks like you've had a C5 Corvette. I can tell you that the C7 Corvette is light years in build quality. I also own a 911, and if I'm paying $70,000 for a vehicle I expect more. If the Alfa dealer is telling me that the car is melting due to the Sun , then Alfa shouldn't be in the car manufacturing business. And that being said I will be attending my second caffeine and octane with lemon written all over my vehicle. If you like to see more of my denials from Alfa for legitimate warranty claims so be it. Where is Alfa cares? Seems like they care more about their profits.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It looks like you've had a C5 Corvette. I can tell you that the C7 Corvette is light years in build quality. I also own a 911, and if I'm paying $70,000 for a vehicle I expect more. If the Alfa dealer is telling me that the car is melting due to the Sun , then Alfa shouldn't be in the car manufacturing business. And that being said I will be attending my second caffeine and octane with lemon written all over my vehicle. If you like to see more of my denials from Alfa for legitimate warranty claims so be it. Where is Alfa cares? Seems like they care more about their profits.
Not making light of your situation. I would be pissed also. The LEMON written on the car might be overboard. Good luck.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Let's be honest, you didn't pay $70k for your 4C - from your first posts:

"Just picked up a 2018 as well. paid $58,900 on a $77k sticker"

I'm fairly certain profit was never in the equation where the 4C is concerned. Speculation is that the tubs themselves cost $30-40k to produce and no manufacturer wants to see their cars routinely sold at $10-20k under sticker. My 18 Spider was bought off the showroom floor, had delivery miles only, never saw the sun and it has a bit of sag in that plastic part. I couldn't care less, I'm still amazed and very happy that they had the balls to build these cars in a world full of boring SUV's and dime a dozen Corvettes.

Your paint issue would be a bigger deal to me and I'm surprised Alfa hasn't agreed to address that under warranty.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had this immediately from delivery (0 km/miles). The part will be exchanged next week and then I'll see if it shows up again.
So they exchanged that plastic part and it is a lot better now but still not perfect. Seems to be a not so good match with the CF halo; if it gets worse I will take it off as it seems to have no functionality.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I sent pics to the dealer and they wanted me to come in so they can have a look at it. My appointment is for next Wednesday. I would be very interested in someone that has a new spyder and what theirs looks like. This sits right above the Turbo and I imagine the heat could be a major factor in this.
2018 .132 miles on it when i got it . mine sags .

·
Registered
772 Posts
I never noticed it, but I have the plastic halo, and the trim behind it sags a little bit (maybe 3/8" or so in the middle). I might try to remove and reinforce it this summer with some aluminum and epoxy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Checked and yes it is sagging but only on the right side slightly.
Plastic Halo

·
Registered
347 Posts
This a known issue with the heat coming from the turbo vent. The panel is MD board. It’s easy to remove. Probably could straighten out with heat gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
43 Posts
This a known issue with the heat coming from the turbo vent. The panel is MD board. It’s easy to remove. Probably could straighten out with heat gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll take this as a good sign then, I bought used with 14,000 miles. Looks like it wasn't used very hard if it didn't get that hot :ROFLMAO:

Also want to add that it doesn't bother me in the slightest and I didn't even notice it until pointed out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I found a permanent solution!

1. Remove the four bolts holding it on
2. Remove the sagging plastic part
3. (Optional) Fix it with a heat gun
4. Don’t reinstall it

I admit I skipped the optional step but I haven’t had any issues or complaints since performing this repair. As a bonus, it reduces weight slightly and therefore improves performance. Win / win! 😁😁😁

·
Registered
359 Posts
I found a permanent solution!

1. Remove the four bolts holding it on
2. Remove the sagging plastic part
3. (Optional) Fix it with a heat gun
4. Don’t reinstall it

I admit I skipped the optional step but I haven’t had any issues or complaints since performing this repair. As a bonus, it reduces weight slightly and therefore improves performance. Win / win! 😁😁😁
Any pics from underside? It seriously does nothing? I was thinking of booking in for warranty and keep the old piece on and saving the new one for when/if i ever sell

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 2016 Spider halo does not sag alignment is near perfect. I did give her a tattoo on the deck vent in front of the window.

Vehicle Car Yellow Automotive design Automotive exterior

The reflection of the CF underneath is deceiving as the parts align perfectly. If you look carefully you can see the snake tattoo on the vent in front of the window (yellow on yellow)... Classy seduction.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just checked mine and it sags in the middle by about 10mm. My 4C has done 500 miles and was registered by the U.K. dealer last August. I acquired it June 1st.
I might take it off and try and strengthen it as suggested by other owners.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Any pics from underside? It seriously does nothing? I was thinking of booking in for warranty and keep the old piece on and saving the new one for when/if i ever sell
You really can’t see it is gone unless you know exactly what to look for and where to look. Even then... and it’s easy to reverse.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You really can’t see it is gone unless you know exactly what to look for and where to look. Even then... and it’s easy to reverse.
View attachment 108212 View attachment 108213 View attachment 108214 View attachment 108215
I removed the affected part with the intention of separating the two moulded sections and gluing in a support bar but decided not to, as I might have damaged the inner piece.
When removing anything above the engine bay do place an old towel - I lost a Torx bit somewhere in the chassis.
My idea was to loosen the lower bolt and remove the top one so the retaining piece with the captive nuts swings away. Then insert a 3mm thick washer with a 19mm diameter hole between the part and boot lid bracket and replace the retainer and bolt.
The centre of the affected part is now level with the halo. It’s slightly raised inwards at the secured ends but only noticeable if one crouches down.
Unless AR have amended the part ( unlikely due to cost of tooling) I can’t see if there’s any benefit in going the warranty route and replacing like for like.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.