Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning Alf Alpha, his wife and I are leaving on a little Aussie Alpine tour. Meeting up with another 4C and several other more southern based Alfa’s at Jugiong then heading into our highlands for 4 days of driving some of the best roads on the mainland. Will report on our progress at the end of each day. You packed yet, Alf?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sure am Alfanut - it's been like counting down to Xmas.

See you soon :)

Cheers,

Alf.

Reactions: Alfanut

·
Super Moderator
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, that’s me.
Gotta say we’ve had an almost perfect day. Been on an old favourite (Snowy Mountains Hwy) plus some other backroads I’ve never experienced until today and the weather has been superb.
A couple of pics below...
Just one problem with an accompanying Giulia suspected of blowing a turbo coolant hose.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crap happens. Of all the times to fall ill. I thought it was an attack of hay fever last night but things only got worse this morning so made the (responsible) decision to give the rest of the tour a miss and come home but not before Alf and I did an early morning run up to Charlotte Pass. Guys, you have to do it. Just brilliant. The run from Jindabyne to Khancoban would also rate as one of the all time driving highlights too. Alf might have a few words to say about it.

A Brera 1750TBi who was following, overheated his clutch and boiled his clutch fluid slowing progress on the final few km of that leg.

It’ll be up to Alf Alpha to continue with the commentary and pics if he chooses. The 4C’s are doing it easily. Sorry to let the team down.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Geez Jim I am sorry to hear that you got ill during your escapade.
At least you absorbed a lot of twisters out in the best nature has to offer in the alpine region😁

·
Registered
326 Posts
Crap happens. Off all the times to fall ill. I thought it was an attack of hay fever last night but things only got worse this morning so made the (responsible) decision to give the rest of the tour a miss and come home but not before Alf and I did an early morning run up to Charlotte’s Pass. Guys, you have to do it. Just brilliant. The run from Jindabyne to Khancoban would also rate as one of the all time driving highlights too. Alf might have a few words to say about it.

A Brera 1750TBi who was following, overheated his clutch and boiled his clutch fluid slowing progress on the final few km of that leg.

It’ll be up to Alf Alpha to continue with the commentary and pics if he chooses. The 4C’s are doing it easily. Sorry to let the team down.
Sorry to hear of your dellimer Jim,I'm sure it would have been hard for you to back out of such a great drive and route. Get Well🤧👍👍

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I’m not going to tell you that the roads and views got better as the day went on Alfanut, but for the rest of you - they did.
Get well soon Alfanut, we are just going to have to reschedule this for later and drag some of the Sydney boys and girls down here to see what they are missing.
Turbo has been glowing red hot for most of the day.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
We had some good news with the Brera, it turns out that it shares the clutch master reservoir with the brake master reservoir. The fluid just got too hot from the heat transfer from the heavy braking. Luckily the clutch failed before the brakes, as we had a steep down-hill section to limp the Brera to a service station. Then the Brera suffered an electric failure and refused to start!

The NRMA roadside assist guy was there within 90 minutes and diagnosed a loose battery clamp negative terminal for the electric problem and bled the clutch slave cylinder to get that working again.

The brake fluid had been changed at the recent service interval, so it is a little surprising that the fluid boiled on a road trip.

Just goes to show that you can't be too careful with your maintenance.

I have a new-found respect for the Giulia Q - they have proven to me that you don't need the V6 version for any reason other than they sound better.

The 4C's haven't missed a beat (touch wood).

The Spider has been splitting bugs and vacuuming up dust from the road, so is looking in need of a good clean.

Day 3 promises some more fun with the Alfa pack heading for the hills and twisties.

Photos to follow at a later date.

Get well soon Alfanut.

Cheers,

Alf.

·
Super Moderator
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had some good news with the Brera, it turns out that it shares the clutch master reservoir with the brake master reservoir. The fluid just got too hot from the heat transfer from the heavy braking. Luckily the clutch failed before the brakes, as we had a steep down-hill section to limp the Brera to a service station.

The brake fluid had been changed at the recent service interval, so it is a little surprising that the fluid boiled on a road trip.
I’m not. Brera’s are heavy things, that road was steep and we weren’t actually dawdling. 😉 Our 4C’s were brilliant on that stretch and kept up with a very well driven Giulia Veloce with ease. 3rd for the 25/35 km/h signposted bends and 4th for the rest. Just riding the torque. Jeez that was fun, Alf.

For the Americans in the audience, it was like about 60miles of Tail of the Dragon with much elevation change, almost zero traffic and no double unbroken centre-lines.

Getting the lads together for a 4C Alpine Tour is a must. Great suggestion.

Don’t forget to mark those roads on a map! It’s locked in my head up to Saturday’s lunch venue.

Got a short flash of the red and blues and a wave from a Hwy Patrol too. Nice to see officialdom appreciate a great car. Phew!

Spending the day in bed feeling sorry for myself.

Enjoy the rest of the drive, Alf and thanks for the good wishes.

Cheers...and enjoy the wine. It’s not a bad drop.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry to hear you had to cut the Tour to rest-up....hope you feel better soon.

Sounds like everyone (give or take a Brera and Guilia or two) is having a blast....what a stunning part of Australia to explore...and right here on our doorstep (well almost).

I’m hoping that cartographer instinct comes to the fore...as you plot another one of your well thought-out 4C group drives. No one does it better, than you Jim !!

Looking forward to further musing from Alpha Alfa to fill-in the gaps..,with his legendary black humour and dab photography skills...the perfect foil to seamlessly continue the updates with this thread.

PS. Martin you also have my permission to keep that Turbo On-Boost got as long as brings a smile to your dial...no danger of you ever going above 110kph

Look forward to hearing some more of the twisties that were navigated and general shenanigans when we catch-up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Ant, our tour leader is one hell of a route selector and guide....with a hint of Irish luck. He has an interesting idea of a gentle pace. Alf, Martin’s Giulia has an Alfaworks ecu too so isn’t short of a few herbs. Goes like stink, doesn’t it? An ‘Alfaworked‘ Veloce is by far the best bang for buck in the Giulia range.

I was left behind at Khancoban for a couple of minutes thinking I could catch up. Not a chance. Glad I gave up as a Hwy Patrol flashed his roof lights for a second and waved. Thought I was gone. The guys passed him as they slowed into Tumbarumba. Me? I wasn’t that lucky but fortunate enough not to be going too quickly. You never know, he might have been an Alfista or 4C aficionado or more likely, just feeling generous.

I’m itching to hear where yesterday afternoon’s run was to and what today’s was like. It’d be great to do it all again with the 4C lads. We had planned to stay the night in Bathurst at Rydges, choosing one of the two alternative routes over lunch today. Feeling pretty low at the moment following what were some of the best roads I’ve ever traversed and in a 4C. 10 years ago I would never have dreamed it.

The boring bit. Averaged 6.8L/100km with an average speed of precisely 100 km/h over 1,500km. It looks better than it was due to the optimistic speedo/odo. Still pretty bloody good given the roads. Think the top end of the Putty, but going on for mile after mile, climbing and dropping ridge after ridge. The 4C eats it. Just fabulous.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Had some more fun today, some rain showers slowed progress from a max speed of 100kph to 100kph at times. The rest of the time we were able to maintain the speed limit. I must have a defective turbo as it was glowing red hot for a lot of the day.
More details to follow, but for now i am just relaxing with a beer looking at the Armorall Sign between the Chase and Murray’s Corner at Mount Panorama and reflecting on what a great weekend it has been so far as the sun slowly sinks in the West.
Cheers,
Alf.
809D32FD-7FE8-427C-AE74-1831DE252B65.jpeg
F37962C6-6ED2-41F2-8A64-AC6075A8F1CF.jpeg
0F8B66F7-3A98-47AF-B4F0-BFC984413A21.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Envious and more than a little disappointed to be viewing this as an observer rather than a participant, Alf. Which way to Bathurst did you choose? Safe trip home. FWIW I copped a little rain yesterday too on the M7 just before reaching home. Funny how the rear hatch window remained dry in the downpour. 😁

·
Registered
243 Posts
We had some good news with the Brera, it turns out that it shares the clutch master reservoir with the brake master reservoir. The fluid just got too hot from the heat transfer from the heavy braking. Luckily the clutch failed before the brakes, as we had a steep down-hill section to limp the Brera to a service station. Then the Brera suffered an electric failure and refused to start!

The NRMA roadside assist guy was there within 90 minutes and diagnosed a loose battery clamp negative terminal for the electric problem and bled the clutch slave cylinder to get that working again.

Just goes to show that you can't be too careful with your maintenance.

I have a new-found respect for the Giulia Q - they have proven to me that you don't need the V6 version for any reason other than they sound better.

The 4C's haven't missed a beat (touch wood).

The Spider has been splitting bugs and vacuuming up dust from the road, so is looking in need of a good clean.

Day 3 promises some more fun with the Alfa pack heading for the hills and twisties.

Photos to follow at a later date.

Get well soon Alfanut.

Cheers,

Alf.
Thats Crap Jim..would've been an awesome run. Yes the Tbi in the 159, Brera and Giulietta share the brake and clutch fluid reservoir. A friend has the Giulietta QV, we were at Wakefield Park and the exact thing happened to him..he lost his clutch which then ended his day. Need to change the Fluid if you wish to have a more spirited run.

·
Super Moderator
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats Crap Jim..would've been an awesome run. Yes the Tbi in the 159, Brera and Giulietta share the brake and clutch fluid reservoir. A friend has the Giulietta QV, we were at Wakefield Park and the exact thing happened to him..he lost his clutch which then ended his day. Need to change the Fluid if you wish to have a more spirited run.
You betcha it is, Joe. Still waiting on my COVID test results.....That Brera was doing its best to keep us in sight but the 4C does those kind of roads with ease. Don’t know why people poo-poo Pirellis so much. Mine were gripping fine all morning.

Itching to read a few more stories and view a few more pics, Alf. Any video amongst it?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts