Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Like many of you, one of the few gripes I have with our car is the rear visibility. When my Porsche was wrecked, the insurance company (inexplicably) gave me a Cadillac Escalade EXT as a rental. I’ll digress on the hilarious difficulty I had operating that vehicle after five years of driving a sports car, but the one feature that really impressed me was the rear view mirror that could be switched to display a full size, unobstructed, high definition, wide angle, realtime view behind the vehicle. It was available all the time, not just while reversing, and it worked phenomenally well. After my first drive in a 4C, I knew I wanted something just like it for mine.

I did the research, and the only option that ticked all my boxes was the Auto-Vox X1 Pro. At $320, it’s expensive, but with excellent reviews and a $70 off coupon on Prime Day, I jumped. I figured since I’ve gained so much valuable information from this forum, I would do my part to contribute by reviewing it for y’all.

I don’t want to make this post super long, so I’ll break it up in segments with pictures as I work through the install. For now, here is the Amazon link to give you a general idea of what it looks like and its various features:

Auto-Vox X1 Pro

·
Registered
431 Posts
What about the X2 ? At $260 (now, your coupon was better) is there any difference? Can't tell on Amazon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the X2 ? At $260 (now, your coupon was better) is there any difference? Can't tell on Amazon.
I looked at that one too during my search. Feature wise, they are basically identical. The difference is that the X2 straps on to your existing mirror, whereas the X1 Pro replaces it entirely, so it really boils down to whether its fully integrated “OEM” look is worth the extra $43 (there’s a $17 coupon for the X1 Pro showing up on my Amazon, not sure if it’s targeted). I definitely think it is. I’ll post pictures soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First Impressions

Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures of the “unboxing”, but the whole thing arrived in a really high quality box, not unlike an Apple product. The mirror itself is solid looking, the fit and finish impressive, and the quality of parts appears top shelf. However, I soon realized none of the included mounting adapters work on the 4C. I contacted customer service, who were excellent. I got a response within 24 hours informing me the correct adapter would be sent free of charge. It arrived two weeks later and was easy to install.

The mirror itself is considerably larger than stock, and that in of itself greatly improves rear visibility.

There are two wires that come out of the mirror: one for power, the other connecting to a GPS transmitter. Both were easy to run inside the roof liner and down the passenger side A-pillar to the footwell. The GPS unit is magnetic, and I connected it to the metal frame in the dash.

Once installed, the mirror looks fantastic, and it’s hard to tell the car did not come with it from the factory.

The front facing camera can be adjusted as needed, and in addition to functioning as a high resolution dash-cam, is used to provide lane departure warnings.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Finished the install a week or two ago, and so far, am very happy with the mirror. Installation was relatively easy, with the most difficult part being running the wire from the camera to the unit, which I did following @Docron’s guide. Even without the camera feed, the mirror greatly improves rear visibility as it is considerably wider than stock.

The feed from the camera is really good, though the resolution could be higher and there is some barely perceptible lag in transmission. It’s noticable, but doesn’t really detract from its usefulness. The front facing camera is higher resolution, and I’m not sure why they didn’t use it for the rear, or just use the same model for both. More pressing though is the fact that the image washes out in very bright light. I just switch it off and use the “real” mirror when that happens.

When the car is shifted to reverse, guide lines appear and the camera automatically lowers its field of view. In conjunction with the car’s reverse sensors, this makes reversing a LOT easier, especially when parallel parking.

In all, this is a great product, though equally useful alternatives could be obtained for a lower price. If you want a fully integrated solution that looks like it came from the factory, you can’t go wrong with the X1 Pro.

·
Super Moderator
13,299 Posts
Added link to DIY index thread.

Thanks for pointing this product out to us, reviewing it, and going through the trouble of detailing it's installation.

Few questions for you:
Where is the rear-facing camera (and is it wireless or how did you connect it?
Any pictures of that?

What is the "GPS transmitter" for?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the writeup, this mod is in my future.

Did they say specifically which mirror adapter they sent you? Fiat perhaps? Would be nice to get the correct adapter at the time of order if possible...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Finished the install a week or two ago, and so far, am very happy with the mirror. Installation was relatively easy, with the most difficult part being running the wire from the camera to the unit, which I did following @Docron’s guide. Even without the camera feed, the mirror greatly improves rear visibility as it is considerably wider than stock.

View attachment 102638

The feed from the camera is really good, though the resolution could be higher and there is some barely perceptible lag in transmission. It’s noticable, but doesn’t really detract from its usefulness. The front facing camera is higher resolution, and I’m not sure why they didn’t use it for the rear, or just use the same model for both. More pressing though is the fact that the image washes out in very bright light. I just switch it off and use the “real” mirror when that happens.

View attachment 102639

When the car is shifted to reverse, guide lines appear and the camera automatically lowers its field of view. In conjunction with the car’s reverse sensors, this makes reversing a LOT easier, especially when parallel parking.

View attachment 102640

In all, this is a great product, though equally useful alternatives could be obtained for a lower price. If you want a fully integrated solution that looks like it came from the factory, you can’t go wrong with the X1 Pro.
I just installed the same one in my car i love it , however in drive mode rear camera only stays on for a limited amount of time ,than to see it again you have to tap the screen that i dont love , other than that i agree it looks factory.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
@Yesyesyouwill & Lars - So it won't stay on 100% of the time? It would be nice to be able to use it on track to be able to be aware of cars behind you, but if it shuts off, it won't work...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice!
how do u run the cable from the back to inside the car?
thanks
It’s a real PITA, lol. @Docron made a tutorial. It involves removing the trunk, drilling a hole in the bumper, running wire through the engine bay, along the car and into the monocoque. Took me a good 13 hours or so.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the writeup, this mod is in my future.

Did they say specifically which mirror adapter they sent you? Fiat perhaps? Would be nice to get the correct adapter at the time of order if possible...
My pleasure. They didn’t say what type it was, and there was no documentation with the adapter. Their customer service is excellent. I sent a picture of the factory mirror and they determined the correct adapter based on that and mailed it to me free of charge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Added link to DIY index thread.

Thanks for pointing this product out to us, reviewing it, and going through the trouble of detailing it's installation.

Few questions for you:
Where is the rear-facing camera (and is it wireless or how did you connect it?
Any pictures of that?

What is the "GPS transmitter" for?
I installed the camera in the rear license plate area. It’s wired, and requires drilling a 7mm hole in the bumper. I think I installed it to far forward, so it’s getting washed out in bright sun. Any recommendations on how to remove VHB tape?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Overall i like the mirror alot , i thought turning the drive mode on keeps it on , thanks to you i know better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
It’s a real PITA, lol. @Docron made a tutorial. It involves removing the trunk, drilling a hole in the bumper, running wire through the engine bay, along the car and into the monocoque. Took me a good 13 hours or so.
I'd really like a back up camera but this sounds like a huge PITA. 13 hours? Ouch!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts