Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
241 - 260 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
@4Canada - Yeah, the instructor in the Whaletale was breaking in his new engine, so he wasn't pushing it TOO hard. Better safe than sorry on that procedure. I think he was a little surprised I was closing in that quickly (or that is the story I'm sticking with) :whistle:

Yeah, been having problem with the GPS tracking lately. I talked to Matt @ Alfa9 and we are trying a GPS ground plane that Racelogic makes to see about improving the GPS signal. It could also be that the GPS antenna has finally kicked the bucket too, so I got a replacement too. I tested the ground plane yesterday on the road, and so far no funny business. So hopefully that was the issue. Now I just have to find a safe place to place the ground plane....

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
A fellow track rat just sent me to this link from a video from last year.

Shows how, on a track suited to our cars, we can really excel against some heavy muscle!
The Viper pilot only started tracking his car last year, but he's come along amazingly well with lots of natural talent and the help of a bunch of the regulars here. I was scrambling to keep ahead of him, but am positive that he'll be beating me by this summer - especially on the longer track configurations.

(yeah, I'm not a fan of this layout, especially as there was a huge drag meet going on so the campers were parked way too close to the track, and I consistently hit that corner at pit out doing over 100km/hr.)

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts

Shows how, on a track suited to our cars, we can really excel against some heavy muscle!
The Viper pilot only started tracking his car last year, but he's come along amazingly well with lots of natural talent and the help of a bunch of the regulars here. I was scrambling to keep ahead of him, but am positive that he'll be beating me by this summer - especially on the longer track configurations.

(yeah, I'm not a fan of this layout, especially as there was a huge drag meet going on so the campers were parked way too close to the track, and I consistently hit that corner at pit out doing over 100km/hr.)
I see the campers use their pick-ups as crash barriers. That situation of camping so close to the track seems to me an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Great video, but not what I expected.

You had as much power, if not more (per weight) than the Viper, he didn't seem to gain down the straights and if anything caught up a touch under braking. You seemed to exit corners a touch faster, but all in all it seemed the cars were quite well matched handling and acceleration.

Looked like a lot of fun regardless, what tyres are you running?

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
Great video, but not what I expected.

You had as much power, if not more (per weight) than the Viper, he didn't seem to gain down the straights and if anything caught up a touch under braking. You seemed to exit corners a touch faster, but all in all it seemed the cars were quite well matched handling and acceleration.

Looked like a lot of fun regardless, what tyres are you running?
Yup,most fun you can have without going to jail! :D

These are Bridgestone RE-71R, which have served me really well. 215 and 245 on 17/18 wheels. The difference is probably experience. I get way better corner exits which is what keeps me ahead of him on the relatively short straights. The Viper can get squirrelly coming out of the carousel onto the back straightaway if the power goes down before the car is pointed straight. He’s still working that out. You can see that he early apexes most of the time - he turns in almost at the same time that I do, despite being 1 second behind me. But there are places where he uses the width of the track far better than I do. Neither of us pushed hard on the back section near the campers, where I should have been able to make up some distance on him. Whenever I made a mistake, he caught right up, and if he blew a line I was able to increase the gap. Which was a blast for both of us. Not sure who had the bigger smile at the end!

I think he was using the chase to get a few ideas from me, and I’m sure his driving will grow into that monster car of his, and he’ll be blowing my doors off soon enough. But that’s OK because he’s a super nice guy, and that’s what it’s all about. ;)

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Yup,most fun you can have without going to jail! :D
I think he was using the chase to get a few ideas from me, and I’m sure his driving will grow into that monster car of his, and he’ll be blowing my doors off soon enough. But that’s OK because he’s a super nice guy, and that’s what it’s all about. ;)
That is what makes going to the track so much fun. The HPDE that I run with has lots of colorful characters, and we have a group of regulars in our "yellow" group that are quick, careful, spatially aware, AND give each other crap about one minor "mistake" or another. Such as "I wouldn't mind you wagging your a$$ in front of me if it was cuter", or "Your car is fast... when it runs"... After a good laugh, there is usually a comment about "damn you were fast, I just couldn't keep up in that section. what are you doing?"

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
That is what makes going to the track so much fun. The HPDE that I run with has lots of colorful characters, and we have a group of regulars in our "yellow" group that are quick, careful, spatially aware, AND give each other crap about one minor "mistake" or another. Such as "I wouldn't mind you wagging your a$$ in front of me if it was cuter", or "Your car is fast... when it runs"... After a good laugh, there is usually a comment about "damn you were fast, I just couldn't keep up in that section. what are you doing?"
You got that right!

Sometimes a good chase is what you need to find a better line and improve a few tenths.

And in non-pandemic times, lots of ride-alongs with better drivers, and then paying it forward by sharing your experience with some in the novice group.
I've had strangers ask for a few laps with me, and experienced guys volunteering to come along and help me with a particular thing they noticed (or just to spend some time in an Alfa).
Veteran campaigners have taken me out in their cars, and I've gone right-seat with complete novices just to give them some confidence and a few basic things to think about.
It's always been fun, and I continually learn from it - even if I'm helping someone else, I'll suddenly clue in on something

What better way to share and promote this hobby?!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Another fun weekend spent at the track. I did make some progress and was finally able to cross the 1:50 mark. A "top" driver probably would be 1:45 give or take with a 4C, so I still have some time to earn. There was one of those new Supra in our group doing 1:44 or so.. I have developed some bad habits not keeping my hands as quiet as I should, but overall the car ran fairly well. The engine bay did feel quite a bit cooler, which I think is partly due to the EC intercooler allowing some bypass and the GMS exhaust & high flow cat not holding the heat as much.

I still don't have the GPS signal as stable as it should be, so the G-Meter is still a tad wiggy.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
Another fun weekend spent at the track. I did make some progress and was finally able to cross the 1:50 mark. A "top" driver probably would be 1:45 give or take with a 4C, so I still have some time to earn. There was one of those new Supra in our group doing 1:44 or so.. I have developed some bad habits not keeping my hands as quiet as I should, but overall the car ran fairly well. The engine bay did feel quiet a bit cooler, which I think is partly due to the EC intercooler allowing some bypass and the GMS exhaust & high flow cat not holding the heat as much.

I still don't have the GPS signal as stable as it should be, so the G-Meter is still a tad wiggy.

Great driving. Thanks for whetting my appetite for our season-opener in May!

Love how you wave to the marshals on the first lap. I do that too sometimes. We have the same guys most of the time, so they're part of our group.

That's amazing about the Supra. Didn't think it would have that much time in it over the Alfa. Was it heavily modded, or just a particularly experienced driver?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
We have paid flag marshals, but I got into the habit of waving at the marshals when they are showing a flag just so they KNOW I saw the flag. Some of the less experienced drivers don't see or miss flags as they aren't in the habit of looking or more focused on driving. That is where I find "experience" really pays dividends. You aren't SOOO focused on the mechanics of driving that you can check your surroundings and flags.

I have no idea if or how the supra is modified. He wasn't one of our regulars, so I didn't spend time talking to him much. Someone said it was modified, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the driving comment! I think I have gotten better, but there is always room to improve! The guy in the Yellow Lotus (14:30 in video) and I run fairly close in times and we always joke that we have to keep all of those damn high horse power cars (Camero ZL1 1LE, Mustang GT350/500. etc) honest and humble. They also make us DRIVE just so we can keep up with them. I think they really pushes us to be better drivers.

What is funny is just how the balance of cars have changed over time. We always joke the "green" (most novice group), have the nicest cars (McLaren 570GT, Audi R8, a few others "nice" cars this weekend). But our HPDE had LOTS of C7 Corvettes a few years ago, and now there was like 10+ Mustangs of one version or another, and quite a few BMWs. There is still your spattering of Miata's, a bunch of Mini's, and then us Oddballs with Lotus/Alfa or other unique cars.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 4C Spider
24 Posts
Another fun weekend spent at the track. I did make some progress and was finally able to cross the 1:50 mark. A "top" driver probably would be 1:45 give or take with a 4C, so I still have some time to earn. There was one of those new Supra in our group doing 1:44 or so.. I have developed some bad habits not keeping my hands as quiet as I should, but overall the car ran fairly well. The engine bay did feel quite a bit cooler, which I think is partly due to the EC intercooler allowing some bypass and the GMS exhaust & high flow cat not holding the heat as much.

Great video! Which camera setup etc do you use?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
@michael-4cspyder - Looking good sir! I wish I could get over to Laguna Seca with my 4C to play a few days. Definitely on the bucket list!

I'm using a VBOX Video HD2 with a custom designed graphics for the front and rear views. The Driver view is a GoPro Hero9. The VBOX & GoPro footage is merged using RaceRender. I have a Stilo intercom for driver/coach interaction that is recorded by the VBOX. I have been trying to capture exhaust & Engine audio with the GoPro, but have been having a hell of a time getting quality audio (no clicking, no/limited wind noise, etc). I recently got an audio mixer, but still haven't figured out how to use it properly.

Reactions: michael-4cspyder

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Here is a video from the past weekend. It wasn't my best driving but still fun.

I did improve the audio quite alot by adding a modulator. I had three mics, one for the echaust, one for the engine/blowoff, and my voice. I don't tend to say alot, but it is there. The engine mic just picks up the engine ticks, so I eventually disabled it in post processing.

Reactions: lpspeedster

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is from back in Feb, but I just now got around to uploading the video. First time driving this car hard, and it's still totally stock except for tires (PS4s). Really enjoyed it though. The car is so controllable at and over the limit. I love that you can throw it into these big slides and it's perfectly happy to just hang out there.

I spend most of my track time doing time trials in a race-prepped Miata with NASA, but I might have to run this car in autocross as a side project. I could see how it would be pretty competitive with a set of sticky tires and pushing it a bit harder than I do here...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
@Lawrence Wild - Okay, how the F are you not sliding all over the seats? You seeming to be pulling about 1G on corners and braking, but you don't seem to be moving much and not using a 6-point harness. Some nice smooth driving on your part!

Reactions: lawrywild

·
Registered
248 Posts
@Lawrence Wild - Okay, how the F are you not sliding all over the seats? You seeming to be pulling about 1G on corners and braking, but you don't seem to be moving much and not using a 6-point harness. Some nice smooth driving on your part!
Thanks! Lol, it certainly feels like I'm sliding all over the place! I'm using a CG-Lock but that's it, no harness and standard leather seat.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Another fun weekend completed... This will be my last weekend for quite some time (September or so), unless I sneak one in in July...

In the dry... Not bad times for this direction and tires that are basically heat cycled out and at the wear bars at the start of the weekend. I will post the wet (BORING) later...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
And BORING WET Video...(@4Canada - here is your proof of race mode in the rain...lol)

It was VERY wet, puddles everywhere and SLICK. I know you can't really tell that I'm just sliding sideways in most corners. Massive understeer as I couldn't get the weight transfer to get front end grip. The best part was coming into the "bus stop" corner (quick right and then off camber left). I would come in a touch "hot" and understeer into the corner and then your right front would hit the cement and all of a sudden get grip and yank the front end to the right. The back end would still slide some to move you around the corner. Then you would hit the slight off camber left turn that was pure ice and you just skid around the corner. Throttle steer was the name of the game in the tight bit... to get the rotation to make the corners.

I would say that the Falken RT615K+ aren't very good in the wet, but it was a hoot to run in race mode to practice just managing the car in slides... Screw the wet line... drive the DRY and have fun!

Only once did I have to get on the brakes to keep from over rotating as I was a little too aggressive on the throttle for the rotation.

Reactions: lawrywild
241 - 260 of 290 Posts