Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autotrader currently has 50 4C listings vs.17 listings for the Elise.There were three times more US Elise sold new. Lotus cars seem to have found more permanent homes while the Alfas continue getting passed around.

As the cars are somewhat similar, will Alfa ownership eventually settle into a longer term affair?

·
Registered
828 Posts
When I looked just now there were 48 4C's, one 2020 advertised as new. 17 of them were being sold by Alfa dealers which suggests lease turn in. No one is turning an Elise in on lease. Just a guess but I think we'll see less on the market as time marches on. Unless there is a drastic downturn in the economy, then all bets are off as people shed toys.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Of course it will. Also remember that Lotus ended imports of Elises and Exiges in 2012, and if I remember correctly, they are also written off as total losses very easily. The 4cs just ended. Check again in 10 years. So many bought their car, then realized it wasn't for them. In a decade many will settle with the right owners in their forever homes, and others will be totaled.

·
Registered
2015 4C Spider, 2018 BMW M140i
76 Posts
Interesting comparison, though I think one should take the total number of cars into account to get feel for what proportion is up for sale. In the UK, about 3% of the total registered and taxed 4Cs are currently listed on Autotrader or 2.6% if you include 4Cs which are SORN'd (Statutory Off Road Notification, i.e. not taxed but still exists). The equivalent number for all generations of Elise are 2.7% and 1.6%, noting that over 40% of Elise's are off the road reflecting the older age profile of the cars.

By way of comparison, the equivalent numbers for Porsche Cayman/Boxster (just 981 and 987 generation) are 7.4% and 6.2%. So this suggests that there is much less turnover in both 4Cs and Elise's.

Enough of playing with numbers. The sun is shining and the temptation to take my Spider out is too great! 😀

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I suspect many will regret selling their 4C in a few years. Anyone who's looking for a 4C, please grab one ASAP while the price is still a "bargain". People are starting to realize just how special this car is. Several of car collectors I know have all added 4C to their garage.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
In Europe, a 4C is no longer a bargain!!! And even then, I would love to add one to have a spare...

But I'm quite convinced the same will happen with Lotus. Final Editions will go up as soon as the Emira has landed, I think.

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
Someone will quickly point out "tuned" exige.
Mister_2’s 4C wasn’t stock either. He had a custom tune done by a Toronto shop.
But yeah, you’re right, it’s a bit apples to oranges. The Lotus had full track mods whereas the Alfa wa on OEM non-race suspension. I don’t know what the Exige was running wheels and tires, but suspect it might have an advantage there as well.

·
Registered
2018 4C Coupe
66 Posts
Of course it will. Also remember that Lotus ended imports of Elises and Exiges in 2012, and if I remember correctly, they are also written off as total losses very easily. The 4cs just ended. Check again in 10 years. So many bought their car, then realized it wasn't for them. In a decade many will settle with the right owners in their forever homes, and others will be totaled.
This is the right way
Check 10 years after the availability of new ones stopped
10 years is usually the turning point

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I was so close to buying one of those (it would have been a new A110 Legende), but I realised I don't really like it. Not the design, the interior nor the drive.
It is a bit pitchy / roll-y and sound dampened compared to the 4C / Elise. I love the looks in blue but it seems very bloated in light colors. In short I understand you perfectly - but I'd still take it over a TT.
Like my wife says: "You always look at so many cars only to buy an Alfa at the end, why bother?" (because it's fun, duh :sneaky:)

·
Registered
690 Posts
There is no need to be genius to know that stock vs stock the Elise will be better on track.
Once you start modding - it depends on specific mods and tires.

But let's be realistic - for a most of the 4c owners track use is far from be the primary objective.
Lotus buyers i guess bought them wth track usage in mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts