Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post isn't intended to start another power steering versus non-power steering debate, as there is plenty of that on various forum or other sites

I'm simply wondering (and asking on behalf of a friend, naturally ;)), what a conversion to electric steering would involve, using the AW kit.

Does the switch gear, including ignition key lock, come off as a complete unit, or are there individual components that have to be taken off separately, for example?

The actual unit looks fairly "plug 'n play" with regard to mechanicals. The wiring shouldn't be too complex......

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jamiealfa is Jamie of Alfa Workshop. He and his team do fit these, as well as supply, and I could take it there. I'm wondering if it is a DIY option, though, as I enjoy working on cars and taking on a challenge. Conversely, I don't want to go beyond my capabilities.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I would not think it is that difficult, but I could be completely wrong. I was looking for the install guide which would give you a really good idea of the complexity. You might reach out to them for one...

·
Super Moderator
10,764 Posts
I would not think it is that difficult, but I could be completely wrong. I was looking for the install guide which would give you a really good idea of the complexity. You might reach out to them for one...
You mean like the ones they provided me for Stage 1 ecu installation?😉

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did we never get an answer to this?

Was having an interesting (light) conversation with David Twohig (Alpine A110 engineer) about this. He basically said the choice to have no power steering in the 4C is likely to be the biggest reason it's compromised (or the best potential fix)

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cost to have it done at AW would be ca. £5k. I haven't got any further with finding out how difficult a DIY job would be.
If I was planning to keep the car long term I would get it installed.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Was having an interesting (light) conversation with David Twohig (Alpine A110 engineer) about this. He basically said the choice to have no power steering in the 4C is likely to be the biggest reason it's compromised (or the best potential fix)
Details about what he believes was compromised? More than caster?

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I DIYed the Vauxhall corsa EPAS column onto my Capri. It’s a standard route for old Fords. Slightly ironic given the Ford/GM rivalry but it’s actually a Japanese made column from Mitsubishi IIRC.
I bought a controller box on eBay for about £20. It gives you a knob to adjust assistance level. Nowadays you can get better controllers that adjust according to road speed.
The hardest part was getting the spline end machined to suit my steering rack.
That involved finding a machinist and paying him another £20. The column itself was from a breaker on eBay and cost about £100.

·
Registered
491 Posts

I now have no faith in Alpine. The 4C is not compromised.

Jeff

·
Registered
391 Posts
I always wonder, is the caster compromise really because of power steering? Why so much positive scrub radius then?
I don’t know, I don’t have proper understanding of scrub radius. But this say that positive value reduce efforts. Same as low caster:
So to me, it seems like more than increased caster would be an advantage, but does not have adequate knowledge to pinpoint.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don’t know, I don’t have proper understanding of scrub radius. But this say that positive value reduce efforts. Same as low caster:
So to me, it seems like more than increased caster would be an advantage, but does not have adequate knowledge to pinpoint.
positive value reduce efforts
Whoops, the wheels roll lol. Yeah that would explain it

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
More caster means more steering effort in low speed corners so that would be one of the reasons ALFA didn't go for more caster with their unassisted rack. But power steering while allowing more caster while still keeping steering effort low, would take away the "feedback" of the car. I guess the current state of the engineering has some assisted steering that is decent but I haven't been impressed with most of them....and the new electric systems are mostly crap. More caster means more stable at high speeds but lower caster is better for changing directions on slower parts of a course. It seems that the 4C has been optimized for lower speed twisties which is appropriate for the use of the car in the real world or a tight course rather than high speed fast course.

·
Super Moderator
10,764 Posts
As a very happy owner of a 4C, I couldn't disagree with you more.

It's definitely compromised on everything but perfectly smooth roads
I’ve done OK on the goat tracks we call roads down this way. What we don’t generally have are stone walls and hedgerows lining narrow roads, so we have a slightly different perspective. A little twitch or flick of the steering wheel isn’t going to mean the end of the car on our roads whereas in the UK it might mean just that.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
As a very happy owner of a 4C, I couldn't disagree with you more.

It's definitely compromised on everything but perfectly smooth roads
It all depends on what a car was designed for....for smooth roads it is fine....for bumpy old B roads a jeep or long travel suspension vehicle might be a better choice. That isn't a compromise....that is what it was designed for.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It all depends on what a car was designed for....for smooth roads it is fine....for bumpy old B roads a jeep or long travel suspension vehicle might be a better choice. That isn't a compromise....that is what it was designed for.
Drove a 911 C4S down those roads today and it was brilliant to drive down roads I need to back off in the 4C, but yes, please tell me why it would need a Jeep down it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts