Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I read that earlier today ironically. I am going race based on what I gleaned from that and a few other threads. Idk the blocks are an experiment for me. We’ll see.
I'd like to hear your reasoning - I'm in for the group buy, but TBD, because I seem to have read conflicting opinions on street vs. race: I just want a bit less understeer and stability at higher speeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The car I'm in the process of buying has the AW race blocks, I need to do a bit of research to see if the street blocks might make more sense.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have reached out to AW and asked at what point do they recommend race over street blocks. Many of us are 'very spirited' drivers but do not see much (or any) track time. I will share information when I receive it.

·
Premium Member
2016 4C Spider Giallo Prototipo
29 Posts
Don't want to muddy up this thread but those who are undecided about which blocks to buy may want to look at this discussion - keep in mind intermediates are no longer available:

Thanks for the link after reading that can I change my request to race block instead of street.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'd like to hear your reasoning - I'm in for the group buy, but TBD, because I seem to have read conflicting opinions on street vs. race: I just want a bit less understeer and stability at higher speeds.
It just seemed like many were switching from street to race in that thread. I also prefer to change the characteristics of the stock car less rather than more. I’m interested to hear the response from Jamie.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
John, add me to the list. I too am TBD until we maybe get some further clarification from Jamie. I don’t really track the car and don’t want to make any major changes. The wider wheels/tires and coilovers definitely helped with the tramlining, but it still exists. And there’s a decently long stretch of road that I frequent where it’s particularly bad and the car sways a bit more for comfort than I would like. Have to have a firm grasp with both hands on the wheel for a few miles when going through that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Count me in as well - As many have not made decision on which version to go with but leaning towards Track version.. Thank you

·
Registered
695 Posts
As promised, response from AW:
The point at switching between the street and race blocks is based on the amount of time spent on a race track. If the car is primarily used on the road with a few track days a year then I'd stick with the fast road setup, if the car is more of a toy used mainly on the track then I'd go with the race setup. There is only a slight difference between the two setups, for an additional £40 we can supply the pair of blocks that allow for switching between the road and track setups so if anyone is unsure or want to try both to see which they prefer they can pay the extra £40 and have the full set of blocks and change between the two as they please.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wanted to get this rolling as I got a bit of a preview from @HeavyFoot who will be updating the ECU group buy thread with some great news shortly.

It appears suspension blocks (street or race) will be in play and the price if we get 10 units will be £170 / $233 (down from £250 / $343 without VAT normally).

Do we have 10 for this?

1) @John4C - TBD
2) @lars - TBD
3) @JTod - Race
4) @KarlB - Street
5) @HeavyFoot - TBD
6) @Dmiek - Street
7) @Keiji Takahashi - TBD
8) @duane33 - TBD
9) @TerenceS - TBD
10) @Jomiddle63 - Street
11) @jmoss - Race
12) @ECTurboGSX - Street
13) @Scot_Douglas - TBD
14) @DerwoodEE - TBD
15) @SNIPER - TBD
@lars @997-2 @Daddyskillzs you guys had mentioned these. Interested? Anyone else?
Yup. I am in for Street

·
Registered
2018 Rosso Competizione 4C Spider, 2019 Rosso Competizione Giulia Quadrifoglio
138 Posts
Do the blocks cause the wheel assembly, and hence the wheels/tires to be a little wider, like spacers?
I want to know if those of us with spacers need to be aware of the geometry chaging.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I’m in for a set of fast road blocks please.

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts
I have reached out to AW and asked at what point do they recommend race over street blocks. Many of us are 'very spirited' drivers but do not see much (or any) track time. I will share information when I receive it.
I think you should change that bit about “not much (or any) track time”! ;)

I saw you got your reply, but I will add that unless you have tracked the car enough to understand its characteristics and what you cannot readily overcome by improved driving, the race blocks probably are overkill. Once understeer becomes a problem that can no longer be fixed by balancing the car better (consistent lap times are dropping to the limit of the car on some corners), more front negative camber is required. This is despite already using grippy tires. We’re not talking crazy stupid camber, but -2.5 or more needs top blocks shaved on most 4Cs. That is all that these do. On the street, that results in worse tire wear. The mod (race version) does nothing more for straight lines than the fast street version will.

I track heavily,and still have the race blocks in a box. Will eventually put them on, but shims have worked for me to date.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think you should change that bit about “not much (or any) track time”! ;)

I saw you got your reply, but I will add that unless you have tracked the car enough to understand its characteristics and what you cannot readily overcome by improved driving, the race blocks probably are overkill. Once understeer becomes a problem that can no longer be fixed by balancing the car better (consistent lap times are dropping to the limit of the car on some corners), more front negative camber is required. This is despite already using grippy tires. We’re not talking crazy stupid camber, but -2.5 or more needs top blocks shaved on most 4Cs. That is all that these do. On the street, that results in worse tire wear. The mod (race version) does nothing more for straight lines than the fast street version will.

I track heavily,and still have the race blocks in a box. Will eventually put them on, but shims have worked for me to date.
The track isn't in my cards in the near future, even though I'd love to. We'll see. Maybe this year I'll be able to make a day happen sometime.

So, are you stating you'd recommend getting street blocks or no blocks at all then?

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts
The track isn't in my cards in the near future, even though I'd love to. We'll see. Maybe this year I'll be able to make a day happen sometime.

So, are you stating you'd recommend getting street blocks or no blocks at all then?
Street blocks tame the tramlining.
Race blocks do the same, plus add more negative camber / allow for even more shims at the bottom to further increase negative camber.
That's my understanding anyhow.

Nothing wrong with getting the race blocks on the street, except likely some additional inner front tire wear when life is primarily made up of straight lines and slow speed corners.

The harder you corner the car routinely, the more sense the race blocks make.

If you are happy with the alignment (no bump steer or tramlining), then I think that you don't need any type of these blocks. Especially for street use. That is all they were originally designed to combat.

If someone wants to run a track setup, the stock blocks do not allow for very many more bottom shims, so the race blocks still might make sense in that case.

EDIT: And if you ever find yourself in southwestern Ontario from May to October, we'll take you out on track. I guarantee you'll want to do it some more! ;)

21 - 40 of 95 Posts