Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have an Android device, there is a new app called Car Scanner ELM OBD2 at the Play Store.

I uses a cheap Blue Tooth USB dongle that plugs into the OBD port on our cars. Several companies make those dongles but you must have one that uses the ELM 327 Blue Tooth protocol....I got mine at Amazon for about $15 as I recall. The app is free although there is a PRO version. I am not sure there are any more options in the PRO version...mostly to thank the programmer for doing this.

I have tried it on my ALFA, Ford commercial van and GMC Acadia Denali and they all work fine. It can read any error CELs and you can clear them also. There are TONS of information it pulls from your car...most of any app I have used and equal to many of the pro dedicated units. It seems that just about every sensor the car has can be tested.

Besides the diagnostics there are several other features such as you can rename some tests and create your own. To please our competitive urges....it has various acceleration tests and you can also custom design your own tests beyond the standard 0-30 0-60 0-100 20-80 etc. It uses actual speed from the GPS and parameters pulled from the OBD.

I am a BETA tester for the app so after trying it out if you have any issues or suggestions you can post them at the APP in the Play Store or send to me and I can submit them for you. I have already suggested that besides the various acceleration tests, they add 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile test for trap speed and time. Thus far the times seem to be pretty accurate. Setting up a test that isn't from a dead stop (rolling start) would be a good way to compare your mods on the same car (that way your time isn't as dependent on your launch). That is easy to setup with the APP and save it for future use,

The Dongle is tiny....so takes little space (just don't leave connected as it does draw energy and you don't want a dead battery). Since most of us have our cell phones all the time, this is the ideal setup to do diagnostics and clear codes at any time.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Can you send amazon link for the dongal

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,049 Posts
Can you send amazon link for the dongal

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
There are quite a few iPhone apps doing the job. Try some out for touch and feel. I have 5 of them on my phone.

Maybe a hint: I bought a WiFi version ELM, thinking it would be faster than Bluetooth.
Downside your phone connects over WiFi and doesn't use your 4G anymore, so you're not connected to the internet while using the ELM.
Reason why I don't use it with trackday app in use.
Would go for a Bluetooth version for this very reason.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@RKBerta do you still need the adapters to write to the various modules?
I have the 3 adaptors used with a previous app but haven't gone far enough to know if the adaptors give additional data or are necessary or useful with the Car Scanner app ass it was with my previous app, Of the three adaptors only one was used for some more info. The three color of adaptors are used with the blue tooth device ....each gives access to a different computer such as body computer, ECM, etc. with some other apps but thus far I just use the Blue Tooth device and the free app.

There are many blue tooth adaptors on Amazon. The one I have is one of the cheaper versions which is made in China. You can get them for around $15. They also have more expensive versions up to around $100. Supposedly the blue colored ones like mine aren't as good quality as the more expensive ones but mine has worked since 2016. In any case this is a really useful tool so if you are looking for a reader to see if you have any issues and than to clear faults, this is all you need. Plus it reads a huge amount of data from all of the cars computers....and that performance testing is a neat bonus.

I also have a Foxwell NT510 PRO dedicated scanner which some others on the Forum use (CallMeAl was the first to recommend it). That one works fine also but is dedicated to a car model but you can add additional car models up to a total of 3 at around $60 each in addition to the initial cost or about $175 (one car included in price). The Foxwell takes up a lot more space and is connected through a cable to your OBD2 port instead of Blue Tooth connection. It doesn't have the performance testing like the Car Scanner app does. The Car Scanner app has unlimited car support so you can add other brands models easily at no charge and the programmer is adding new brands and models of cars as they come out. It also takes a lot less space since all you need other than the tiny blue tooth adaptor is your cell phone which you have anyway.

Don't forget you have to have a Blue Tooth adaptor that is compliant to ELM 327 which I believe all are now....there was an older standard which the ELM 327 replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have an Android device, there is a new app called Car Scanner ELM OBD2 at the Play Store.

I uses a cheap Blue Tooth USB dongle that plugs into the OBD port on our cars. Several companies make those dongles but you must have one that uses the ELM 327 Blue Tooth protocol....I got mine at Amazon for about $15 as I recall. The app is free although there is a PRO version. I am not sure there are any more options in the PRO version...mostly to thank the programmer for doing this.

I have tried it on my ALFA, Ford commercial van and GMC Acadia Denali and they all work fine. It can read any error CELs and you can clear them also. There are TONS of information it pulls from your car...most of any app I have used and equal to many of the pro dedicated units. It seems that just about every sensor the car has can be tested.

Besides the diagnostics there are several other features such as you can rename some tests and create your own. To please our competitive urges....it has various acceleration tests and you can also custom design your own tests beyond the standard 0-30 0-60 0-100 20-80 etc. It uses actual speed from the GPS and parameters pulled from the OBD.

I am a BETA tester for the app so after trying it out if you have any issues or suggestions you can post them at the APP in the Play Store or send to me and I can submit them for you. I have already suggested that besides the various acceleration tests, they add 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile test for trap speed and time. Thus far the times seem to be pretty accurate. Setting up a test that isn't from a dead stop (rolling start) would be a good way to compare your mods on the same car (that way your time isn't as dependent on your launch). That is easy to setup with the APP and save it for future use,

The Dongle is tiny....so takes little space (just don't leave connected as it does draw energy and you don't want a dead battery). Since most of us have our cell phones all the time, this is the ideal setup to do diagnostics and clear codes at any time.
Hello RKBerta,
I am having an issue to reset oil change reminder on my 4C Spider. I like a suggestion to the programmer if it is possible to develop an app to reset oil change reminder that use the ELM 327 Blue Tooth protocol.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello RKBerta,
I am having an issue to reset oil change reminder on my 4C Spider. I like a suggestion to the programmer if it is possible to develop an app to reset oil change reminder that use the ELM 327 Blue Tooth protocol.
That may exist already in the app but I won't know until that reminder comes up on my car again. The app allows you to select brand and model of various cars and the 4C exists already. You may want to download the app and load your car model and see what the app has to offer....it seems to be quite extensive. I mainly was looking for a simple cell phone app that can do what I already have on a dedicated OBD!! scanner matched to my 4C. Will be good for clearing CELs, and checking for engine parameters that may indicate potential issues. I recommend giving it a try....all you need is the inexpensive Blue Tooth dongle.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Your suggestion is so much helpful and I also did the same thing but my obd2 scanner was little bit high in price cause Bluetooth and wifi both are supported and I use the Incardoc pro software for diagnose the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
@RKBerta I just bought the dongle and downloaded the app. In the initiative setup the 4c isn’t an option. What do I choose? Would be nice if 4c was an option.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go to connection profile and select Fiat OBD-II....it will than show ALFA Romeo and than 4C...you may need to find this in Advanced Settings.
When I go to connection profile it does show ALFA Romeo as one of the brands and than select the 4C from the next list of car models.

I already have mine set and saved so not sure exactly what chain I went though to get there....but it is there. Let me know if you can't figure it out. You can also post at the app site at the PlayStore any questions. He is very responsive to any suggestions or issues. He is also adding new cars and models as they come out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go to connection profile and select Fiat OBD-II....it will than show ALFA Romeo and than 4C...you may need to find this in Advanced Settings.
When I go to connection profile it does show ALFA Romeo as one of the brands and than select the 4C from the next list of car models.

I already have mine set and saved so not sure exactly what chain I went though to get there....but it is there. Let me know if you can't figure it out. You can also post at the app site at the PlayStore any questions. He is very responsive to any suggestions or issues. He is also adding new cars and models as they come out.
@RKBerta, What do you suggest I select from this Initial Setup screen? These are the only options. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The OBD II....if you look closely at the note for that choice there it says ALFA Romeo. Don't forget you will need to plug your OBDII dongle in to the ALFAs port and set to USB not wireless. You than need to turn on Blue Tooth on your phone in the settings (gear wheel icon) and than search for the dongle and connect. Hopefully your dongle is discoverable by your cell phone. I don't recall if you need to turn the ignition to the run position (not started but accessories on)...or start the car to do this Blue Tooth pairing. This is with an Android phone...mine is a Samsung.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just used this for the first time; success with a cheapo Amazon dongle. Good news / bad news: it read the P185E code and cleared it... I can pray it was a fluke or low voltage or... I'll take it for a drive later and see if the DTC comes back. But, the app worked perfectly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts