Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Ferrari is not bad but calling i a senior 4C would be a tad too flattering, wouldn't it? A senior citizen car maybe...

Your absolutly right, more so given the obvious fact that Alfa been kept on a leash for so long...just to accommodate Ferrari.

at least that's what I learned on this forum ;)

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I really think that leash is real. I also think Ferrari would do just fine without FCA limiting Alfa or Maseratis efforts.

Ferrari would sell just as many 488's as they do now even if the 4C had 280 or even 320 bhp.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
When I first learned about the 4C, it was going to be my "baby Ferrari". I've always lusted after F-cars, but will never have the purse to own one.

Now that I have the car, and the more that I've hung out with Alfisti here, the less concerned I've become about it being a baby anything. It's an Alfa Romeo. I own a bloody Alfa Romeo. How cool is that?!?

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
408 Posts
Now that I have the car, and the more that I've hung out with Alfisti here, the less concerned I've become about it being a baby anything. It's an Alfa Romeo. I own a bloody Alfa Romeo. How cool is that?!?
That's a great attitude. It's nice to remember that Enzo used to work for Alfa and that played a huge role in the early history of Ferrari. I love them both.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Your absolutly right, more so given the obvious fact that Alfa been kept on a leash for so long...just to accommodate Ferrari.
To be fair guys, it's a small sports car that has plenty of punch given its size and price bracket.

Specific Output (PS/L):
Alfa 4C - 137.8
997 911 Turbo - 133.3
991 911 Turbo - 136.8
2009 Nissan GTR - 126.3
2015 Nissan GTR - 143.5
2014 Mini JCW - 131.9
2008 Lotus Elise SC - 122.8

All that being said, if I was designing a 4C QV then I'd take inspiration from the Ferrari 288 GTO. The Ferrari 288 GTO was based on the Ferrari 308 GTB, only the 288 ditched the 308's rear trunk and replaced it with a more powerful twin-turbo longitudinally mounted racing engine. So I'd ditch the 4C's trunk, drop the 2.0L I-4 from the new Giulia in longitudinally, add the Giulia QV's twin turbos to get the same PS/L, and BANG: a 350 PS Alfa Romeo 4C QV!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd say micro Ferrari. In every way. Size, power, and price. But the 4C looks a lot better

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know that the 4C is a reinterpretation of the Tipo 33 Stradale.
But I've already noticed that the 4C would also pass as a reinterpretation of the Ferrari 246 Dino.
At least I think that the side view of the two beautiful cars has something in common ...

But I feel like 4Canada. The longer I own the car, the more I love that it's not a Ferrari! It's an Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
It's its own beast and becomes the center of attention no matter when it goes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
But I've already noticed that the 4C would also pass as a reinterpretation of the Ferrari 246 Dino.
At least I think that the side view of the two beautiful cars has something in common ...

But I feel like 4Canada. The longer I own the car, the more I love that it's not a Ferrari! It's an Alfa Romeo.

View attachment 116790
(y)

·
Registered
328 Posts

View attachment 116790
The Dino has always been my favorite small sports car. But :oops: as much as I like the Dino, and I now look at the above side by side pics. I think that it may be time to alter that evaluation. :love:

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Dino has always been my favorite small sports car. But :oops: as much as I like the Dino, and I now look at the above side by side pics. I think that it may be time to alter that evaluation. :love:

Yes I consider myself blessed. The 4C is the closest thing to the Dino. No question. Always hoped Ferrari would build the next gen 246 on the 4C chassis. But they opted for the MC20...

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I really think Ferrari has lost its way, they can't figure out if they are a luxury poser car or a high end performance car. For the money, cost of ownership and attitude I would much rather own something else...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I really think Ferrari has lost its way, they can't figure out if they are a luxury poser car or a high end performance car. For the money, cost of ownership and attitude I would much rather own something else...
They cap production at X units and they all sell. Over decades this has happened. So, what are they chasing, testing, trying? Blind allegiances to brands weakens them. They pursue hundreths of a second wherever possible to 'win' some imaginary tests run by fake gearheads called automotive 'journalists.'

And, as I noted in another thread, they and Pininfarina let two complete clowns, Frank Stephenson and Ken Okuyama, influence or lead the design of numerous cars for almost two decades. I want to throw up when I say that.

I like the new Portofino and the 458 was a return to grace, too. Drool worthy poster cars they are not, and it takes a true artist to make machinery that will be considered art. I took this for granted growing up.

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
It seems to me that Ferrari sells a lifestyle (or at least the impression of one), not a car.

It's like an expensive watch.
A $35 Timex will tell time just as well as one costing 200x as much, can be purchased at any Wal-Mart, and maintenance consists of taking it into the shower with you once in a while, and replacing a battery or strap every few years. You aren't afraid to do work on the car or in the garden with it on. But it will never impress anyone who sees it on your arm. Typically, only others with expensive watches, or those who aspire to own them, will notice or care. But it makes the wearer feel special.

A Honda Civic will get you from A to B just as well as an exotic does (usually more practically and definitely more comfortably), gets to the speed limit in not much more time (considering traffic and as a percentage of the length of your journey), costs next to nothing to own an maintain, and will even start after 2 weeks of not being plugged in and carefully stored. It isn't likely to leave you stranded, or require an equity loan to do some unexpected repair. Once the factory warranty is up, most Civic owners are not going to drop everything to seek extended coverage. The Honda may even have better fit and finish. But it's an appliance and is neither going to stand out on the street, nor will it give the owner chills when he picks up the key (unless it's their first car) the way that a Ferrari will. All the exhaust mods in the world won't raise the hairs on the back of your neck, and you won't do a double-take when you notice the "H" badge on the nose. Your friends will not be jealous, and you'll probably be restricted to visitor parking (or worse yet, the Ricer lot) at a cars and coffee. Driving a car with a prancing horse on the hood just makes you feel special. Maybe you've made it, achieved your goal. Or it is an extension of your race car fantasy. It's the heritage, the racing pedigree, and the legend every bit as much as the aluminum and leather under you.

Like your favourite vocalist, who could sing the phone book and you'd buy the album. It doesn't matter so much what car that logo is on, but rather that the logo is there.

It's an experience. A lifestyle. Not a car, per se. That's why they are so protective of the brand (despite its foibles over the years).

Unfortunately, it can also make the company lazy and arrogant sometimes. Most of the time, from what I hear, actually. But that seems to be just another part of the experience. A hazing ritual, perhaps. Welcome to the club. You've made it!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
@4Canada "Unfortunately, it can also make the company lazy and arrogant sometimes. Most of the time, from what I hear, actually." I completely agree....

·
Registered
3,490 Posts

Unfortunately, it can also make the company lazy and arrogant sometimes. Most of the time, from what I hear, actually. But that seems to be just another part of the experience. A hazing ritual, perhaps. Welcome to the club. You've made it!
Ferrari telling millionaires and billionaires to fuck off is part of the brand's image now. #notkidding

You own a Ferrari. You drive an Alfa.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts