Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking here for a bit and now finally have a 4C, the white one. Well sort of... It's not really mine but I will be making it into a race car for the owner and will get some rights to driving it in some SCCA races. Stay tuned for progress. You guys might remember Matt's car from NC that the hood blew off of? Well my customer bought it and we will dig into it soon. The red one is just a stray... :)

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I'm sure there are several of us that will watch the progress. I hope that you will continue to post the progress and modifications that you do.

Personally, I would be interested in the roll cage and other safety modifications.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Working now with SCCA on the cage as there are no guidelines yet for caging a composite tub car. I've built many cages and already talked to 3M about what compound to use to bond to the chassis. just a matter of getting SCCA to sign off on it. It is essentially the same stuff that is used to glue Lotus and Aston Martins together.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
382 Posts
Very keen on the appropriate compound to use on SMC, and if you have a store, pls sell it! If this means aero and body improvement/alternatives, please also sell them!
I'm sure we are all also keen on what your suspension/geometry/rubber ideas and experience turns up.
In bocca al lupo!/Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,318 Posts
What class will you run the 4C in. Seems there isn't yet a SCCA class for wheel to wheel racing for the 4C as far as I know....or are you just running it in solo 1 type events. I know some in Europe have developed a roll cage that meets FIA requirements. There are a couple of very successful hill climb 4Cs in Europe but they are basically "funny cars"....4C body looks but with completely different suspension, race engine from other classes, etc I am not sure they even use the carbon fiber tub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RKBerta, initially we will race it in T3 (wheel to wheel road racing). looking at the possibility of T2 or STU also. The car fits all three but is a but under powered for T2 and would need to weigh 2800+# for STU so that's not very attractive. T3 is a lightly modified production class.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,318 Posts
RKBerta, initially we will race it in T3 (wheel to wheel road racing). looking at the possibility of T2 or STU also. The car fits all three but is a but under powered for T2 and would need to weigh 2800+# for STU so that's not very attractive. T3 is a lightly modified production class.
Great that you will be road racing it....as far as I know you will be first in SCCA racing a 4C. Make sure you get some videos and let us know how competitive you are....always very hard to breaking new ground as the first one. Competition will have lots of data logged from other similar cars and vendor support.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,318 Posts
I was always bummed that someone didn't set up a spec class for the 4C. Guess the issue is that it is an expensive car to replace body parts and spec cars tend to be so "equal" that it requires some judicial pushing and shoving to compete. But it would have been so cool to see several 4Cs running against each other in anger. I raced a 67 GTV in SCCA B/Sedan back in 70s. Those were fun days and the ALFAs were the car to have in that class.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The cage is one big question that comes up. Our local NASA guys don’t have any idea how to handle it.

Are you thinking to drill holes in the tub for the cage floor mounts and bolt it in using steel sandwich plates? That would be my first thought, but drilling has plenty of issues and a good location might be hard to determine.

I would be hesitant to use adhesive alone to mount the tubes of a steel roll cage, but it could be done as it all depends on the details.

I’m a seasoned mechanical engineer who does stress analysis and did composite design work, so I’m not just poking at you. I’m really quite curious how you decide to go about it, and perhaps the bigger challenge, how you convince amateur racing sanctioning bodies to approve it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,318 Posts
The cage is one big question that comes up. Our local NASA guys don’t have any idea how to handle it.

Are you thinking to drill holes in the tub for the cage floor mounts and bolt it in using steel sandwich plates? That would be my first thought, but drilling has plenty of issues and a good location might be hard to determine.

I would be hesitant to use adhesive alone to mount the tubes of a steel roll cage, but it could be done as it all depends on the details.

I’m a seasoned mechanical engineer who does stress analysis and did composite design work, so I’m not just poking at you. I’m really quite curious how you decide to go about it, and perhaps the bigger challenge, how you convince amateur racing sanctioning bodies to approve it.
The 2-4Cs racing in Europe in Hill Climb had glued connection of roll cage as I recall. They used metal plates in a sandwich or laminated type of attachment to the CF tub I believe. Drilling a carbon fiber tub is not a good idea. I would try to contact those teams to see how they did it. I wonder what Rudy of GMS is using on his car....stock or with a roll cage. He is here on the Forum so might have some knowledge about this subject. The car does have a roll bar but it is made of aluminum so while fine for street or amateur track use, it won't meet requirements of SCCA rules for wheel to wheel racing.

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
The 2-4Cs racing in Europe in Hill Climb had glued connection of roll cage as I recall. They used metal plates in a sandwich or laminated type of attachment to the CF tub I believe. Drilling a carbon fiber tub is not a good idea. I would try to contact those teams to see how they did it. I wonder what Rudy of GMS is using on his car....stock or with a roll cage. He is here on the Forum so might have some knowledge about this subject. The car does have a roll bar but it is made of aluminum so while fine for street or amateur track use, it won't meet requirements of SCCA rules for wheel to wheel racing.
Bmoody281 is also prepping a 4C for a national race series here, so messaging him might be of assistance.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
382 Posts
The Lamborghini Essencia has a carbon tub and bolted upper similar to ours, and is exempt from needing a roll cage in their class, which begs the question is a cage necessary for our cars of just some reinforcement? What is the quantitative difference between the carbon structures?

Also, AR (officially according to EMEA back in 2014) had said the SMC body panels were IDEAL and cheap/easy for aftermarket to tool up for racing classes (literally stamped out, less than 20 minutes for the largest panel, but the set up of a class and funding events depended on the commercial success of the model, eventually evolving into the pumped version we all like at the Heritage warehouse and maybe a QV (naturally aspirated V6 with manual transmission and quick change transmission) variant if the 8c wasn't viable...
But we know how that went.

Now MC20 literally has the/our floor and has sold more reservations in the first day than every variant of 4c from 2013 - 2020 actually sold and made.
And AR is looking at the Tonale and a "juke competitor" which is a joke because the "juke-market" isnt even worth competing in. The Giulia is really the only "executive sports" as the rest are commuter appliances with a badge. PSA/FCA cum Stellantis will make these pretty popular I'm predicting as well as AR execs, which will eventually, MAYBE fund actual sports cars again, or, more likely, schizophrenic BS ala Peugeot "concept cars" which reflect nothing actually made and sold.
So... Future values look very high for the 4c's, and the popularity of using these rare birds as race cars is up in the air as Mclaren 570's/etc carbon tubs get cheaper and more "disposable" midengine cars like the C8/new Lotus(?)/whatever join the midengine fold as cheap, used options. I'm thinking Stradale/Challenge/EVO-type niche a 4c prepped to race might fit into. Of course, in bocca al lupo(!) that you rack up the wins (safely) and keep us relevant to the sport.

Seeing more and more sell their 4c's recently, prices now jumped out of the weird low $30k's and playing in the mid-cent values, as well as hybrids and rapid new model development replacing models faster than ever into more carbon intensive approaches, I feel we are a carbon Porsche away from swapping the whole rear end for next gen power plants. Maybe many 4c will see BEV swaps, as it's saving grace is it's more brave design (for 2013) to keep it unique. The Cayman/Boxster is going EV and Lotus' halo is a BEV so... Interesting situation. If the used, 5-year old MC20's drop to the usual Maser "half price/~$105,k", then the 4c should be just under that price... Unless that 610hp v6tt is really more than "just above" the 240-300hp our cars make do with. Idk what to make of it, honestly. Maybe that's why AR is backing away from the whole "sports" segment for a while and cut off the 4c, baton handed to Maserati which they felt might command the higher price of a more competitive model our 8C should've been. The Trofeo's V8 tt was tested on the 4c chassis before the "middle finger" was published I've heard, and would bench too high but not high enough to catch the Aventador development, which would be it's price range. Maserati really needed a home run more than Alfa did back in 2010. It's a hard one, no doubt. Anyways, win those podiums!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts