Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my first "issue" with my 1,700 mile car... slow tire leak (about 1 PSI per day for the left rear tire).

I have two options given the tread is still 90%+...

1) Replace with a matching pirelli
2) Replace all four tires

I have heard several say that Michelins are a worthy upgrade. What is the absolute preferred tire for summer performance (street) driving for the 4C? I don't get excessive tramlining at all, but I do want the best for the car.

I run Michelins on my Viper and BS Potenzas on my 911. I will be replacing my Potenzas this year with Michelins but I know what is the best tire for one make is not always the best for another.

Really appreciate recommendations and also whether I am crazy to be chucking 3 perfectly good tires for this swap...

Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
Sounds like you want to change.
Why not investigate the leak further - and find out it is a valve not properly seated or something easily repairable?

Failing that, there is a long thread on tire reviews stuck in the "Tires" section of the forum with lots of juicy reviews.
In the end, it all depends on what you want out of the rubber on your car. Life, a better ride, grip, dry and wet traction, track day use?

·
Super Moderator
6,814 Posts
Everyone I know who has swapped their Pirellis for Pilot Supersports have had nothing but praise for them. Miles better than the oem Pirellis both AR and ARR. Much less tramlining and much better confidence. Loses the floaty feel of the Pirellis too. I’d be getting them too if they were available in a 17/18” combo.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,067 Posts
Lots written in other strings as mentioned above. I agree with the change to Michelin Super Sports in 215/245 size. I couldn't believe the difference on a car that had no other changes from stock with sports/race suspension. You may have a hard time getting them though as they are being replaced with newer versions. The lat time I checked they STILL haven't come out with 215 or 205 in those replacements. I was able to source them from Discount Tires...Tire Rack MAY have them but if you can't get them Continental has a good tire..and the Bridgestones are a good tire too...they are very popular with auto crossers but being very soft they wear out faster. There are several good tires out there but sadly it is harder to get some brands that fit the front 7" wide wheels. Ideally that would be 205 stock size or 215....225s are more available but are really too wide for the 7" wide rim although they can be used in a pinch but not my recommendation.

I am convinced if ALFA had equipped the 4C with those Michelin SS the reviews would have been much better....tramming goes away. But guess when you have an Italian car you need Italian tires.

If you have a slow leak....you probably have a tiny nail or bad valve in car. Mine never leaded down with original tires or the new Michelins. Have you tried spraying some soapy solution in the tire and looking for bubbles? If you have a lot of tire life left though.....just fix them and perhaps when they do wear out Michelin will finally have the right size for us in the front. Rears are no problem.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Better idea: go to the race track and put the current tires to work --> You can wear the oem tires in a day (around 10 sessions) and this way it will not be a waste of money to throw good new tires away.
If you like on the track then you can decide what tires to buy (to mix the race track and street experience) --> If you don't think you will go again then you can decide on some very good street tires.

It doesn't matter that the oem tires have bad grip on the race track: the fun factor is there and you don't have to win any contest + it will build your confidence and driving abilities on the streets + it will calm you down on the streets so you will be safer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Be careful with a slow tire leak and constantly pumping air back into tire. When the tire gets lower and you continuously fill it back up it can change the groove/tread of the tire.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Being 4C owners, most of us are master rationalizers. Justify the irrational? Easy!

But, I have to say, rationalizing tossing essentially new tires because of a slow leak in one raises the bar on rationalizing.

A properly patched (not plugged) puncture in the tread section is a permanent and safe repair. Unlikely a slow leak would be the result of a sidewall puncture, but it is possible I suppose. So worst case is one new tire.

The most I can rationalize is tossing the still good front tires when the rears eventually wear out.

I like the idea of destroying them all on the track though. Kind of like doing a massive burnout when you're taking a car to get new rear tires.

·
Registered
115 Posts
With the OE 18/19" wheels, I think the only options are Bridgestone RE71, the old Michelin PSS and P Zeros. I wanted to try Toyo R888R but that means getting a set of 17/18"... Anyone tried the R compound tires on the 4C? I heard that for daily driving, they don't get heated up enough to provide better grip than street tires and can be dangerous when cold.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did do a soap spray check when I first noticed the leak but couldn't locate anything. No bubbles near the valve so the easy find was a no-go.

My initial bias was to swap the single tire but the dealers are doing a 4 for 3 pricing on all tire makes. The tires are original to the car (2014) and I like to keep tires at or below 6-7 years on all my sports cars. Given I have 6 cars I don't expect to put more than a few hundred miles per year (max) on the 4C. So it started to make some sense to bite the bullet and get fresher tires all-round.

It sounds like the MPSS would be the way to go, so long as I can find a set (and so long as they are fresh enough).

I may still just do a single tire swap. Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (relabeled euro Bridgestone tires some say) for my new set of wheels and they did great at TOD last weekend.
And cheap (read the reviews on Tirerack), picked up from the warehouse the set was around $500.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Guys

Any of you have knowledge where can I get in EU Potenza RE-71R tires?
215/40 R18
245 or 235/35 R19

I'm trying to find them in EU but I see them in US only.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've thrown away lots of tires with deep tread that aged out. If those are 2014 tires, you're just about there. I put some Bridgestone Potenzas S-04s on because they were on sale. I like them so far. They make lots of noise on track. :devilish:

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
I've thrown away lots of tires with deep tread that aged out. If those are 2014 tires, you're just about there. I put some Bridgestone Potenzas S-04s on because they were on sale. I like them so far. They make lots of noise on track. :devilish:
That's just them squealing with delight!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bought a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (relabeled euro Bridgestone tires some say) for my new set of wheels and they did great at TOD last weekend.
And cheap (read the reviews on Tirerack), picked up from the warehouse the set was around $500.
Same tires I put on both sets of wheels I have. I have been running these tires on my S2000 for about 3-4 years and they have a good combination of low price, excellent dry grip, stiff sidewalls, quiet ride, and predictable breakaway that make them my favorite road tire for a sports car. Decent treadwear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd like to get something with more grip on track. More similar to semi-slick
I've tried Federal 595 RS-PRO as it was the only option with the fron size 215/40 as it's the widest size you can put on 18" wheels with 7" wide. Unfortunatelly if you have Federal 595 RS-PRO it's better to stay at home if it's raining!

Anyway the problem is only with the front wheel tires dimensions if there is 18" in front.

I know that Yokohama Neova AD08R was also in 215/40 R18 before but it's hard to get them as well.

And now there is an option to put also new Pilot Sport Cup 2 CONNECT as new Connect series also offers 215/40

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,067 Posts
I'd like to get something with more grip on track. More similar to semi-slick
I've tried Federal 595 RS-PRO as it was the only option with the fron size 215/40 as it's the widest size you can put on 18" wheels with 7" wide. Unfortunatelly if you have Federal 595 RS-PRO it's better to stay at home if it's raining!

Anyway the problem is only with the front wheel tires dimensions if there is 18" in front.

I know that Yokohama Neova AD08R was also in 215/40 R18 before but it's hard to get them as well.

And now there is an option to put also new Pilot Sport Cup 2 CONNECT as new Connect series also offers 215/40
I haven't heard of the Pilot Sport Cup 2 CONNECT tires here in the US. Seems that different tires are available in different countries...both sizes and versions. Wonder if the Connect versions are different than the regular PSC2.

I think some have tried the PSC2 tires on a 4C....think they worked on track but hard to get up to temperature on street with our light car. Some of those ultra R rated tires also are bad in wet conditions. We have had several members reviewing various tires so you may want to check into the old posts. Soft tires also wear faster and have limited life due to heat cycling when used as a track tire.

Guess you really have to figure out what you will realistically use the tire for.....and what concessions you are willing to make.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
For me its a simple decision. Pilot Sport 4 S4 215/245. I will be changing them soon.

The numerous people saying how good they are in all seasons and superior to the alternatives, can't all be wrong.

They don't cost enough to concern. They are more than the P Zero but I'm happy to pay more for better. £100 rubber is what it is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another vote for Michelin super sports. Got a new set this week and I’m kicking myself for staying with the Pzero’s all this time.
On poor road conditions it feels like a totally different car!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts