Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been communicating with someone form Alfa4u.jp that apparently has the Genova front bumper in stock to sell. The only issue is shipping to USA. They quoted me 380,000 yen = about $3,435 dollars for just shipping!

Does anyone have experience shipping large parts from Japan to USA?

Whats the most cost effective way to go about this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I've been communicating with someone form Alfa4u.jp that apparently has the Genova front bumper in stock to sell. The only issue is shipping to USA. They quoted me 380,000 yen = about $3,435 dollars for just shipping!

Does anyone have experience shipping large parts from Japan to USA?

Whats the most cost effective way to go about this?

Thanks in advance!

FYI maybe this is helpful. I had a big tear in my front bumper in a couple places so I bought a new one. But then my body shop told me they could plastic weld the original one as long as all the parts were there. So I had them weld it and it looks great! So I didn’t need a new one after all!
Now I have a spare they’re super lightweight and super flimsy. Shipping them must be very hard unless they put them in a stiffer box than the one I got!
Here’s a photo of the back side of my repaired one. You can see the repairs on both the left and right side. If you have all of the parts they can repair it for you too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI maybe this is helpful. I had a big tear in my front bumper in a couple places so I bought a new one. But then my body shop told me they could plastic weld the original one as long as all the parts were there. So I had them weld it and it looks great! So I didn’t need a new one after all!
Now I have a spare they’re super lightweight and super flimsy. Shipping them must be very hard unless they put them in a stiffer box than the one I got!
Here’s a photo of the back side of my repaired one. You can see the repairs on both the left and right side. If you have all of the parts they can repair it for you too.
My stock one is in good condition. I'm looking to replace it with something that has a little more downforce and my top choice if I can get it here is the Genova bumper.
I just need some advice on the most cost effective way to get it shipped here form Japan.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
My stock one is in good condition. I'm looking to replace it with something that has a little more downforce and my top choice if I can get it here is the Genova bumper.

I just need some advice on the most cost effective way to get it shipped here form Japan.

Maybe just add a splitter that will give you much more downforce than any bumper! And cost you less than your shipping alone!!
Sorry I’m an efficiency pest that is very cheap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe just add a splitter that will give you much more downforce than any bumper! And cost you less than your shipping alone!!
Sorry I’m an efficiency pest that is very cheap.
I've considered it, but since I also drive it on the weekends, I want something decently presentable at the same time.

I like your downforce setup, very creative with all those mini splitters in the mesh area!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Its not the weight that’s the issue, its the irregular size and probably insurance. Be aware that you will probably have to pay an import tax upon receipt. How is the company wanting to ship? EMS, DHL?

Although any large piece would be expensive to ship from across the Pacific, $3400 for shipping seem ridiculous.
I would ask them what shipping method (ship vs. plane) they want to use and what company they want to use and go from there.

Tom, how much was it to ship you GT wing from Kansai in Japan? that would give you a comparable idea for the Genova front bumper....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Having repaired my rear bumper with simple fiberglass fix I second CallmeAl (no his name is not Al) recommendation.
On shipping, the least expensive method is surface parcel post (every country will have its version of USPS) but complexity will be on shape and dimensions and not only on weight. Tom's package with USPS took the scenic route from the Pacific northwest across the Atlantic and through Europe before arriving to Amman - Jordan several weeks later... Very slow but it got here safely in the end for less than $200 if my memory serves.
In your case I suspect that the bumper will be over the accepted size for parcel post (seller can check on-line), in which case you may want to consider LCL forwarding by sea freight or air cargo... Again, very slow but should be a fraction of what you have been quoted (most likely being on EXPRESS COURRIER service like DHL or Fedex, both of which having sister companies like DHL Danza or similar) to cater for non-time sensitive large parcels & cargo.
Good luck.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,122 Posts
Talk to forum member Evoralution
https://www.4c-forums.com/12-appearance-body/55730-genova-jdm-bumper.html

Do you have any connections with tuners who regularly import from Japan?
I recall picking up a rear bumper and exhaust for a Honda from Japan via Bulletproof Automotive - had to wait 3 months to get it here as they built a container shipment from kansai, Noblesse, and the thousands of small shops in Japan. But the shipping was minimal that way. If you could piggyback on their load and give them something for freight (realistically, you would likely have to import through them as the entire manifest would be theirs at customs), that might work.

Oddly, sometimes DHL or FedEx is cheap, and sometimes not. Of course, larger importers get better rates. I bought a centre console for a Honda which (per the bill of lading) showed up at my dealership in Canada 3 days after leaving Tokyo, and I think the entire thing (product, shipped) cost me $175! But this piece is going to be inordinately large. USPS and whatever that is in Japan might have size restrictions which this will exceed. Most air freight tends to cube-out before they gross-out - so you'll definitely pay through the nose on international air. Try to find a way to ship surface, and take up knitting. You should have a car cover done by the time it arrives!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Just To clarify, 4CBobby wants the aftermarket bumper... He doesnt want to fix or modify the OEM bumper. ;)

Parcel Post (typically EMS out of Asia) *with* adequate insurance via boat will, by far, be your cheapest option. It will take FOREVER though.
It will be hard to coordinate piggybacking the bumper into another vendor’s shipment unless US vendors like Bulletproof, Evasive, Concept Z Performance or any other JDM vendors in the US are distributors for Genova or alfa4u.jp.

DHL, although more expensive, is my preferred way to have EU or Japan vendors ship as they are super dependable and typically takes 2-3 days to arrive lickity split. But there is a point where it is too expensive.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I imported a new bumper for my gta when I had it from alfisti it cost me $2700 from Germany for shipping so this amount seems fairly accurate, it’s just the size that costs you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
After looking at alfa4u.jp website, is this an actual AR/Fiat dealership in Edogawa???
This AR studio is located in Tokyo so it wouldnt be like they had to ship it from the rural countryside.

Can they ship it to your local AR Dealership and count it as dealer to dealer transfer for shipping?
Maybe ask your local Service Department to see if they would look into that....

Hmmmm....

·
Registered
50 Posts
For packing I highly recommend a crate to eliminate the risk of damage, most shops can have things put into a fumigated crate for less than a couple hundred bucks, if not a freight forwarder could probably have it done. Save yourself any possible hassle.

Contact a freight forwarder like DB Schenker(specially for parts from Germany) and tell them you want to get a door to door quote for LCL service for your shipment and for them to do the brokerage.

If your Canadian you need to get a BIN number from the CRA to use LCL service because its a commercial channel.

Even by air JAL or Aircanada Cargo shouldn't cost you more than $1000 terminal to terminal.

UPS and FedEx have a "spot rate service" but you need to call and ask if they are available and get it quoted.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
If you’re very concerned about looks why would you want an aftermarket bumper that is different in looks to OEM anyway?
Have you seen what they look like?! Does not look anywhere as good as the stock one imho

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you’re very concerned about looks why would you want an aftermarket bumper that is different in looks to OEM anyway?
Have you seen what they look like?! Does not look anywhere as good as the stock one imho
Tom, I haven't seen one in person but from the pics that I have, they look damn good. The vertical lines on the front make it look for racy and aggressive rather than the stock feminine curves on the front bumper. Obviously, this is all Subjective. Like I prefer brunettes over blondes.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Tom, I haven't seen one in person but from the pics that I have, they look damn good. The verticle lines on the front make it look for racy and aggressive rather than the stock feminine curves on the front bumper. Obviously, this is all Subjective. Like I prefer brunettes over blondes.

Are we talking about the Zender bumper? Or is there another one I don’t know of.

The Zender definitely looks masculine. But with the 4C’s svelte classic looks making it look more masculine is not attractive to me. Bring on those stock feminine curves you talk about! Keep it going yeah baby! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts