Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get it out there in case someone else runs across this "car" and the "seller" attempts to scam anyone else. While hunting for a 4C LE, I came across a no-name dealer in TX listing one for a paltry $35k. Seemed suspiciously inexpensive (about average NADA trade-in value), but I ran a CARFAX and it came back clean, so I sent an email through Cars.com. I got a very basic email response which led me to believe I was dealing with a private seller, so I asked and a "Gillis Jonsson" ([email protected]) identified himself as a private seller. Checked the next day and noticed the car was no longer on Cars.com.

After a couple emails back and forth, he linked me to a "joy-drive.com" and instructed me to enter a stock number to pull up the listing where he claimed he had the car "on consignment." in Seattle. I searched Joydrive and it all seemed to check out, but some things just didn't sit right. The "dealer" offered free enclosed transport shipping anywhere in the country which was a big red flag because I know how much enclosed transport costs, and the link to the CARFAX report did not work. Also, if the car was on consignment, why couldn't I find it listed for sale anywhere else?

To make a long story short, I did some digging around and discovered that this site is a fraud designed to mimic the real company known as Joydrive whose actual website is "joydrive.com"; they are an online car seller similar to Carvana and Vroom. After contacting the actual company and confirming that this site is indeed a scam attempt, I blocked the email address and have been reporting it to a couple car enthusiast pages.

Once more to recap, if you come across VIN ZARBAAC42FM143761 or any other enthusiast car where you are instructed to enter a stock number and cannot otherwise view dealer inventory, run run away! I've been Googling and someone else has reported a similar scam with a BMW he was looking for. These scumbags are getting awfully clever these days!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
I just wanted to get it out there in case someone else runs across this "car" and the "seller" attempts to scam anyone else. While hunting for a 4C LE, I came across a no-name dealer in TX listing one for a paltry $35k. Seemed suspiciously inexpensive (about average NADA trade-in value), but I ran a CARFAX and it came back clean, so I sent an email through Cars.com. I got a very basic email response which led me to believe I was dealing with a private seller, so I asked and a "Gillis Jonsson" ([email protected]) identified himself as a private seller. Checked the next day and noticed the car was no longer on Cars.com.

After a couple emails back and forth, he linked me to a "joy-drive.com" and instructed me to enter a stock number to pull up the listing where he claimed he had the car "on consignment." in Seattle. I searched Joydrive and it all seemed to check out, but some things just didn't sit right. The "dealer" offered free enclosed transport shipping anywhere in the country which was a big red flag because I know how much enclosed transport costs, and the link to the CARFAX report did not work. Also, if the car was on consignment, why couldn't I find it listed for sale anywhere else?

To make a long story short, I did some digging around and discovered that this site is a fraud designed to mimic the real company known as Joydrive whose actual website is "joydrive.com"; they are an online car seller similar to Carvana and Vroom. After contacting the actual company and confirming that this site is indeed a scam attempt, I blocked the email address and have been reporting it to a couple car enthusiast pages.

Once more to recap, if you come across VIN ZARBAAC42FM143761 or any other enthusiast car where you are instructed to enter a stock number and cannot otherwise view dealer inventory, run run away! I've been Googling and someone else has reported a similar scam with a BMW he was looking for. These scumbags are getting awfully clever these days!
Good sleuthing. You’ve likely saved someone from serious financial heartache. Well done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unfortunately in my search I can across a few suspicious sellers. i think covid is helping fuel the scammers because most don’t want to fly out and inspect the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Didn't someone else almost get scammed here on this as well?
Posted about Joy Drive in this thread

Here's another scam listing today

I've flagged it for removal, but took a screenshot for reference

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts