Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just thought I'd share this as it may help others. Just had the 2nd year service with bolt tightening and chassis inspection at TH Whites in Swindon (UK). Car has 7400 miles - mostly non daily. I spoke to the engineer who worked on the 4c and he said that none of the bolts were out of spec. They had a 4c in the previous month for the same and he said that there were a few bolts that needed a small amount of torquing up on that one.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Why isn't the bolt tightening covered under warranty? If it's a safety issue and something that's recommended to be addressed within the warranty period, I don't quite understand why it's not covered.

Has anyone been able to get it done under warranty?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Why isn't the bolt tightening covered under warranty? If it's a safety issue and something that's recommended to be addressed within the warranty period, I don't quite understand why it's not covered.

It is considered a maintenance item. The key is that it is recommended so you don't have to do if you don't want to. Just like oil changes are recommended at certain intervals. But like I till some of my customer's "it is up to you how you want to maintain your $70k exotic car"

·
Registered
339 Posts

Brakes and clutches aren't covered either and are safety issues. I don't believe anyone has had it done under warranty. If you don't want to pay you can do it yourself or just skip it. I'd be willing to guess that if you don't get it done (or do it yourself) and have a real warranty issue that is related to your lack of documentation it was done you may be up the creek without a paddle. I'd highly recommend you get it documented by the dealer at least the first time.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If suspension, driveline, or chassis issues pop up you'll want to be able to show that you followed the specified maintenance schedule and procedure, one way or another. I'm not a fan of the chassis cracking and the engine and rear end falling off of the car mid-corner either. Get it done one way or another, and be sure it's done right.

I did mine myself but documented it by videoing every single bolt, calling out the bolt, the specified torque, showing the setting on the torque wrench, and then re-torquing it in motion as it should be.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Bolt check is a 12/36/60 month item. Why did you do it at 24 months? Did you miss it at 12?

Just curious.
My guess is it has more to do with his low mileage than the actual months of ownership.

I asked the tech about it when I took my car to the dealer a few weeks ago for its first oil change and to update all the TSBs. There's currently only 1 tech there trained to even work on the 4C, which I actually find kind of nice. I got to know the guy by name and know who's touching my car each and every time I take it in.

Anways, when I asked him about it, he recommended I focus more on having it done approximately at 12K miles rather than the 1 year point. The build date on my car was June 2015, the previous owner bought it in May this year, and I bought the car 5 weeks ago. It only has 1,500 miles on it currently. If I go by the 12 month point from the start of ownership, so May 2017, there will probably only be about 3K miles on the car depending how much I drive it between now and then. Bolt tightening at 3K miles doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did that cost you ????
Cost £1000 - absolutely ridiculous. I only had 2 services in 6 years of Ferrari ownership that cost more!

Bolt check is a 12/36/60 month item. Why did you do it at 24 months? Did you miss it at 12?

Just curious.
It was skipped because the mileage was so low (which in hindsight was a good idea given that not a single bolt was out of spec at 24 months).

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
I had a first oil change at 3000 miles (I am old school and don't like leaving break in oil in the car a long time). I asked if worth having the bolt sequence at the same time and the dealer checked with ALFA....They recommended wating until closer to 12000 miles as the bolts haven't really had a chance to loosen up in 3000 miles.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I had a first oil change at 3000 miles (I am old school and don't like leaving break in oil in the car a long time). I asked if worth having the bolt sequence at the same time and the dealer checked with ALFA....They recommended wating until closer to 12000 miles as the bolts haven't really had a chance to loosen up in 3000 miles.

Yeah but I lost a few small bolts on the underskirting on where the side panels attach to the carbon tub.
Not all of them are necessary but I'll have to replace them.
I plan on having the dealer do it when they do in oil change. Should be under warranty.

Looking at the underneath of your car is quite interesting. So hi tech yet simplistic. Much different with a carbon tub than a traditional frame car.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
My guess is it has more to do with his low mileage than the actual months of ownership.

I asked the tech about it when I took my car to the dealer a few weeks ago for its first oil change and to update all the TSBs. There's currently only 1 tech there trained to even work on the 4C, which I actually find kind of nice. I got to know the guy by name and know who's touching my car each and every time I take it in.

Anways, when I asked him about it, he recommended I focus more on having it done approximately at 12K miles rather than the 1 year point. The build date on my car was June 2015, the previous owner bought it in May this year, and I bought the car 5 weeks ago. It only has 1,500 miles on it currently. If I go by the 12 month point from the start of ownership, so May 2017, there will probably only be about 3K miles on the car depending how much I drive it between now and then. Bolt tightening at 3K miles doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Nuts and bolts don't loosen while the car sits under a blanket. They vibrate loose from driving and actually using the car. There's no real need to do a bolt check until the car has x (10,000 to 12,000) amount of miles. Or, you think something is loose.

Other things still need to be serviced though. The engine oil breaks down and needs to be changed even though the car sits a lot. Brake fluid absorbs water. So on and so forth.

Reactions: Kamran

·
Registered
674 Posts
If suspension, driveline, or chassis issues pop up you'll want to be able to show that you followed the specified maintenance schedule and procedure, one way or another. I'm not a fan of the chassis cracking and the engine and rear end falling off of the car mid-corner either. Get it done one way or another, and be sure it's done right.

I did mine myself but documented it by videoing every single bolt, calling out the bolt, the specified torque, showing the setting on the torque wrench, and then re-torquing it in motion as it should be.
How long did it take you to go through all the bolts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Didn't want to start a new thread but I just had my bolt tightening service done (~12800 miles) and the car feels like it's brand new. I don't know if it's because I just got out of the Fiat 500 loaner or if the bolts weren't tight from the time I bought the car but I'm surprised by how much better it feels.

There's no slipping sound in Dynamic mode when I accelerate now and I don't get false alarms that I need to engage the handbrake when I get out of the car. It felt tight as a drum with no rattles before, but it feels positively rock solid now. The downside is now I want to drive it even more.

Reactions: Sir5n

·
Registered
339 Posts
Picked it up from Carlock Motorcars in Nashville yesterday. Had the bolt tightening service done, updated the TCU firmware, did an alignment, and fixed a small coolant leak. Carlock did a great job!

- Bolt tightening was $750, a good price I think for the work involved. Technician stated there were some bolts that needed to be re-torqued. Not sure if I can tell the difference or not, but it's done and I'm good to go.

James

·
Registered
750 Posts
just had my bolt tightening done at Ed Morse Alfa Romeo in Brandon, FL for $663.25 including the replacement window gasket. very happy with the dealership and the results

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
Had it done on my car when 2 years old and 8000 miles. My tech asked ALFA officially when I had 1 year and 4000 miles whether I should do it at one year of ownership. They said to not do it until closer to 12,000 miles. I decided to do it at 8000 since my car is driven in Michigan which has some less than smooth roads. I also autocross it and figured that and the roads might loosen things up. Tech said only two bolts were below spec and only slightly. So in hindsight I could have put it off for another year and 4000 more miles. My car isn't my daily driver although gets plenty of hard exercise. It spends the three month of Winter in hibernation thus the lower mileage. As far as feel after the bolt tightening...I did notice that one sound I heard before when tight turning when parking has gone away. No big differences other than that.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts