Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any compatibility issues likely between the 4c and https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Flasher-Module-Universal-Motorcycles/dp/B00FADDOL4 ?

Is there a relatively painless way to access the third brake light wiring for installation of the blinking module?

Blinking brake lights seemed pretty common in Italy a few years ago, and I thought they were quite effective in catching one's attention.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I do not like blinking third light.... :(

My past track day I was tailing a car with a blinking brake light and it was so decieving as I thought he was braking in a panic fashion everytime he touched his brakes. Made me rethink that mod.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not like blinking third light.... :(

My past track day I was tailing a car with a blinking brake light and it was so decieving as I thought he was braking in a panic fashion everytime he touched his brakes. Made me rethink that mod.
Good point - on the track this could be annoying, and with less value than on roads loaded with distracted drivers. The version with g-force measurement so that actuation can be limited to moments of more heavy braking ("panic braking") would eliminate annoying blinks during casual braking - a time when rear-ending risk would to be less significant. Thanks -

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
Good point - on the track this could be annoying, and with less value than on roads loaded with distracted drivers. The version with g-force measurement so that actuation can be limited to moments of more heavy braking ("panic braking") would eliminate annoying blinks during casual braking - a time when rear-ending risk would to be less significant. Thanks -
Just a thought, but if you are going to be rear-ended due to panic braking, it is likely going to happen anyway because the guy behind you left too little room. Where the flasher is most effective is when you are stopped or nearly stopped and the distracted driver is coming up on you faster than you like. Let off the brake and re-apply (most systems have a minimum delay, though), to focus their attention on the presence of your little car.

The CR-Z is similar in size, which is why I did it there.

Doc's point about the track is valid, but frankly I'm not really focussing on the car in front of me, so it might just tell me when he is braking if I missed it. Since we can out-brake most cars on a lapping day, it still might not be a bad idea. Anyone behind us isn't stopping faster than we do. Just don't hit the brake pedal outside of the braking zone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed a similar flasher in my Elise 10 years ago and appreciate the added peace of mind. When I returned from the races at Watkins Glen last year with friends in a second car, they commented very favorably on the flashing center brake light. I think they make a difference on small / low cars like the Elise and the 4C.
I would like to install a flasher on the 4C also, but there seem to be a couple of minor problems. I haven't found any info in the shop manual related to the center brake light or wiring, but that's not a big issue. The wiring to the center brake light is inside a short length of split corrugated tubing which is at the top of the rear glass (close to the roof line). Easy to get to, but there are only two wires there. The flasher has four leads, so the real issue is how to make the connection. Keeping in mind that if the wiring is not done correctly, the flasher will be shorted and irrepairable. I'm not an electrical whiz, so I'd appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
I installed a similar flasher in my Elise 10 years ago and appreciate the added peace of mind. When I returned from the races at Watkins Glen last year with friends in a second car, they commented very favorably on the flashing center brake light. I think they make a difference on small / low cars like the Elise and the 4C.
I would like to install a flasher on the 4C also, but there seem to be a couple of minor problems. I haven't found any info in the shop manual related to the center brake light or wiring, but that's not a big issue. The wiring to the center brake light is inside a short length of split corrugated tubing which is at the top of the rear glass (close to the roof line). Easy to get to, but there are only two wires there. The flasher has four leads, so the real issue is how to make the connection. Keeping in mind that if the wiring is not done correctly, the flasher will be shorted and irrepairable. I'm not an electrical whiz, so I'd appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.
Jim
I'd copy the DIY from the CR-Z forum here, but the product I used does not seem to be available anymore - it would just confuse the issue.
The 4-wire ones that I've found on e-bay are likely spicing into both the power and ground wires. Hence, an "in" and "out" on both the hot and ground wires.
And if you screw the flasher module up, they are like $10 on ebay.
example chosen at random

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
I see that Studio Scuzimi (one of Docron's approved suppliers) has a brake light flasher on their website.
Since they service mostly FIAT customers, it will probably work on our cars too:

http://www.studioscuzimi.com/rapidcart-4/

Has reverse polarity protection (so you cannot screw it up). Small and light. No case though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Today I installed the GS100-A flasher (as in the ebay link posted by 4Canada). In principle very simple, just cut the two brake light leads at a convenient point, then splice in the flasher (two leads to the input side, two to the output). As usual, nothing is as simple as it sounds. I decided to hide the flasher and wiring as much as possible, so I spliced into the two leads where they are routed behind a triangular brace just below the fuel filler duct. Still not easy to avoid dropping the three fasteners for the brace, and not much free play available with the leads. Really not so easy to crimp the connectors, unless your arms are about six feet long. And, of course, after I got everything wired up, I found that I reversed the polarity of the flasher (input and output leads reversed, even after a trial fit that worked fine). Took it all apart and correctly wired it, and now have a flashing center brake light. Fast flash for a second or two, then slow flashing. Feel better now, but see a beer in my near future.
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got my 4C this week and this was the first thing that I installed (OK it was also the easiest). My previous car was a Miata and I had the module that was speed sensitive but it was no longer available for some reason I ended up with just a regular strobe version that still does what i want (draw attention to the fact that I am braking). I spliced into the centre brake light wires near the fuel door also and would have preferred to be up near the LED itself but it looked too hard to access. By the way, does anyone else think the engine cover is very heavy?

·
Registered
432 Posts
By the way, does anyone else think the engine cover is very heavy?
Funny you should say that but I think mine’s heavier than I seem to remember it used to be. Either it’s filled with water this past Winter (None pours out when I open it) or a I’ve lost strength during the Covid lockdown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts