Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here want me to perform any kind of testing on the back bumper and side panel? The collision place saved me both pieces, after my car was in an accident, so I figured I'd do a few tests on them if people wanted.

So far, I've shot both parts with a Ruger 9mm carbine, and a bb gun about 30-40 yards away. Here are some pics. Ill probably throw some rocks, maybe a golf ball, and similar stuff as well this weekend. Throw out some ideas and ill be more than happy to test the durability and strength of the paint, plastic, and fiberglass sections.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of the last pics were of the 9mm going through the side. I tried to just braze 2 shots and 1 turned out pretty good. This shots were of the bbs. Obviously not gonna go through, but the damage was worse in some cases

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
272 Posts
So moral of the story is, SMC isnt bulletproof. Maybe see what materials will scratch the paint and at what pressures? Or test different ppf samples and see which does a good job protecting? Also, certain composite substrates actually do some solid bullet proofing when paired with a "bulletproof"/Dupont anti-tear film on ext, and anti-spall/"Rhinoliner" paint on int I've heard! Maybe see if some easy, lightweight treatments can stop a 9mm?

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
Maybe tap a section with a hammer or mallet. See what strength of blow it takes to get the paint to blister or crack on a flexible SMC panel.
Basically, simulating a door ding or minor parking lot damage (shopping cart hit or very low speed impact, for instance).

Perhaps also seeing how much deflection the panel will take without damage to structure or finish?

To be honest, that is more likely to happen to our cars in the wild than being hit by a bullet. Outside of America, at least!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Anyone here want me to perform any kind of testing on the back bumper and side panel? The collision place saved me both pieces, after my car was in an accident, so I figured I'd do a few tests on them if people wanted.

So far, I've shot both parts with a Ruger 9mm carbine, and a bb gun about 30-40 yards away. Here are some pics. Ill probably throw some rocks, maybe a golf ball, and similar stuff as well this weekend. Throw out some ideas and ill be more than happy to test the durability and strength of the paint, plastic, and fiberglass sections.
ok....now if you really want to.... IMPRESS:unsure:...your next project is to try to bring back to original spec the damaged parts:cool: :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a welder/fabricator. Never messed with fiberglass before. Not something I'm too interested in doing to be honest. I just feel like it would take up too much of my time from other stuff

·
Registered
968 Posts
Try to see what brake fluids to to our paint. Try to perform real world damage to the paint unless you are planning to drive your car through a riot and thugs shooting at your car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The quarter panel vents and parking sensor brackets are the bits I need lol. I am doing a complete respray on my 4c and because of mu ocd I wanted to remove the vents on my quarters for a quality paint job. It's almost impossible to remove them without damage to one or the other because Alfa used adhesive to attach them. Two of my parking sensor mounts had broken tabs also. One mans garbage is others treasure goes well here 😂

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you want to get rid of the front bumper I’d be interested in buying it from you, even if it need work. I want to get one so I can modify it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts