Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a number of cars over the years and usually, at least here in Michigan, I need to go to the local DMV ("SoS" here) to complete the transaction.

Anyone aware of measures being taken to allow transactions to be completed remotely?

Also, how many folks do you think are willing to buy cars sight unseen? The reason I ask is because some dream cars seem to be dropping in price rapidly and the drop in value in my cars is ($ wise and % wise) going to be much less than some of the exotics out there. I am still on the fence about doing this as I love my cars and don't want to give them up but some opportunities come about rarely (thankfully!)

This is not a knock on the 4C, as I've said many times the only cars that I had considered still pulling my heart strings were things like a Scuderia etc...

Looking for thoughts.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, sight unseen would involve very detailed documentation (dealership records) etc... but no PPI given the situation today.

Seems a crazy situation today as just transacting will be difficult. Another unique hurdle...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Not sure. But I’m on the other side of the fence. Looking at a very long term lay-off possibly and hard to support my 4C when I can’t pay my bills.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you. My wife is about to be laid off (90% certainty), and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm up soon too. Being in the auto industry at this time is bleak. My wife is in the travel industry so that is even worse.

It would be a rotational play for me to move some cars now and flip into something that takes a big hit (and is a steal now).

But I do get it... just want to understand the process of selling and buying at a time like this. I really don't know how it would work smoothly. Tried to do some digging but I think this is too new. Clearly low on the priority list too.

Still, if people have good ideas, would love to hear. I think the easiest path is trying to do a dealer sale but I would get no value.

The rational move is probably just to sell... but I really love my current mix of cars and currently am still employed.

Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yup. I’m a pilot so my services aren’t much required now.
good luck to you and your wife. I feel her pain.
and good luck with whatever you end up doing!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have bought 4 cars sight unseen. All of which were as described at a minimum. None were the least expensive for what it was and sold by reputable dealers.

My tips would be:
  • If no service records are included, assume all services need to be done to get up to date.
  • PPI is money well spent. See if seller will split the cost if you buy the car.
  • Pictures underneath the car, on a lift
  • Count previous wheel weight tapes residue on wheel and see if that adds up to the mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have bought many cars sight unseen and as long as you can talk to the seller and he is upfront about giving you all the pictures and information you requested you should be fine.
My opinion would be we are probably a year away from the bottom of the car market so I don’t think you need to rush into it if you are moving up.
If you are looking to move down or get out do it ASAP

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought my car sight unseen, and didn’t get service records or anything. Just bought based on the photos and pricing seemed good. I usually buy sports cars this way, and it seems to have worked out fine so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts