Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering real quick does anyone know of any 4C owners who've done a CAD scan of the naked chassis? (All body panels removed). If so let me know so I can get in touch with them, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
How about explaining your ideas to give us an insight into what you’re planning? It might help with people being more forthcoming.

Hey guys just wondering real quick does anyone know of any 4C owners who've done a CAD scan of the naked chassis? (All body panels removed). If so let me know so I can get in touch with them, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,720 Posts
Since this is your first post, you may want to introduce yourself to the members and tell us a bit about your ALFA interests, cars owned, etc.
What did you have in mind to accomplish with your request.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What parts do you need scans of?

Have you ever worked with scan data? and if yes.. what CAD package are you using?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about explaining your ideas to give us an insight into what you’re planning? It might help with people being more forthcoming.
Oh sorry haha didn't mean to be mysterious or anything, I'm planning on making my own carbon fiber pieces with a touch of design added to them, think Zender's body pieces, just with a tad more artistic elements.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since this is your first post, you may want to introduce yourself to the members and tell us a bit about your ALFA interests, cars owned, etc.
What did you have in mind to accomplish with your request.
I see, sorry. I am from Atlanta, my name is Nico but in forums and the car community, most people call me "dine". I've owned an 82 spider, and now a 4C, I also keep a FIAT X1/9 at hand for fun days out and such. I used to daily my X1/9 until I got a 4C, now I switch between the two depending on how much energy I have in the morning. What I want to do with my request is play around with making my own body pieces with slight design touches to them, just to give my 4C a little something to stand out, not that it needs to, these cars are gorgeous as is. As I said to AlfaNut, think like what Zender's body pannels look like but maybe a bit sharper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What parts do you need scans of?

Have you ever worked with scan data? and if yes.. what CAD package are you using?
I'd need scans preferably of the entire naked chassis. I personally have not worked with scan data, but I have a very close friend who's been trying to get me into it for a while who is very experienced, and he said this could be a perfect opportunity to learn so long as someone out here has the data already as I'm told it can be a quite pricey set of numbers to acquire. Not that I wouldn't pay the owner of the data, but I'm sure it would be cheaper to buy it off of someone who's already done it than to go get it done myself.

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Sounds like a very cool project.
Sorry for all the questions, but we've had our share of spammers on this board.

As far as the question goes, it's not something that I recall seeing. Would be great if someone had, and perhaps your inquiry will elicit a response.
It's been hard enough to get decent digital models of the car (body panels intact) for the few here who have attempted to undertake CFD studies.

Also, keep in mind the hand-built nature of our cars does lend itself to differences between examples. Plus, there are a few major structural differences between NAFTA and EMEA / APANZ cars. We have a larger crash structure (most notably in the rear, where you see the collision dagmars bulging under the bumper on either side of the license plate. IOW, it will be important to note which market the scanned car originated in (or you'll have some extra disassembly to do in order to fit your parts).

Good luck with this. Would love to see more pieces developed (even if they are only for personal use).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a very cool project.
Sorry for all the questions, but we've had our share of spammers on this board.

As far as the question goes, it's not something that I recall seeing. Would be great if someone had, and perhaps your inquiry will elicit a response.
It's been hard enough to get decent digital models of the car (body panels intact) for the few here who have attempted to undertake CFD studies.

Also, keep in mind the hand-built nature of our cars does lend itself to differences between examples. Plus, there are a few major structural differences between NAFTA and EMEA / APANZ cars. We have a larger crash structure (most notably in the rear, where you see the collision dagmars bulging under the bumper on either side of the license plate. IOW, it will be important to note which market the scanned car originated in (or you'll have some extra disassembly to do in order to fit your parts).

Good luck with this. Would love to see more pieces developed (even if they are only for personal use).
Yeah I'm aware of the structural safety differences, the good news is those seem to be bolt-on additions (thank god Italians are still cheap) so if I end up removing my body pannels I'll be able to then also remove the extra safety enhancements in the US version of the car (also cutting another 300 something lbs). I do believe the hand-built nature of the car will have some sort of effect on the process but hopefully, it won't be too hard to make slight adjustments and such. The cars also do undergo a rigorous quality check once built so I can't imagine the differences are going too harsh.

Thanks for the help and good wishes. Really hope I can get this done, even if it means doing the scan myself, in which case I'll make it known on here and anyone who wants one can contact me about it.

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Yeah I'm aware of the structural safety differences, the good news is those seem to be bolt-on additions (thank god Italians are still cheap) so if I end up removing my body pannels I'll be able to then also remove the extra safety enhancements in the US version of the car (also cutting another 300 something lbs). I do believe the hand-built nature of the car will have some sort of effect on the process but hopefully, it won't be too hard to make slight adjustments and such. The cars also do undergo a rigorous quality check once built so I can't imagine the differences are going too harsh.

Thanks for the help and good wishes. Really hope I can get this done, even if it means doing the scan myself, in which case I'll make it known on here and anyone who wants one can contact me about it.
Some good info on structural differences, how to remove the extra bits if needed, and their weight, here:
(there are others, but Nimo has actually done most of this to his spider, so it's pretty good info.

Also, if you check out the 4C Cloud (sticky thread in the Engine and Technical section of this forum gives you a table of contents and links), you will find lots of photos of the car with body panels (and more) removed. Not what you are looking for, but might serve as a quick reference for your project (without needing to pull your panels off just to check something).

·
Registered
92 Posts
CAD scan data is very expensive. I just had 3D scan data on a small piece on the 4C. With this high end scan and R/E it costed just around $1,000.

These Italian cars are very difficult to work with design wise. Just make sure if you do go through with it go all the way! Don’t want to spend a lot on a project half way through and not come up with anything. Sounds like a fun project on your hands!

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,720 Posts
Sounds like a really interesting project. Note, as you know, the number of 4Cs out there is tiny compared to most other cars. That means you would have a very small group of potential buyers. So as a money maker it would be pretty risky. The various body panels are easily bolted on but expensive so if someone was able to make repro body panels such as quarters and doors, there may be a market down the road. Your idea of making custom body panels similar to what Zender does might work out also but the other guys already have a head start in the market so would be an uphill battle.
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but also would feel bad if I encouraged you to do something that lost a lot of money.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
563 Posts
Houstan YT guy that owns Royalty rental exotics in vegas had a 4c spider 3D scanned in order to create his own subframes, he used (if I remember right an offroad builder in Colorado?) A company he states in his YT feed and they 100% have the scans you are looking for, so move along!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Houstan YT guy that owns Royalty rental exotics in vegas had a 4c spider 3D scanned in order to create his own subframes, he used (if I remember right an offroad builder in Colorado?) A company he states in his YT feed and they 100% have the scans you are looking for, so move along!

Reactions: dine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a really interesting project. Note, as you know, the number of 4Cs out there is tiny compared to most other cars. That means you would have a very small group of potential buyers. So as a money maker it would be pretty risky. The various body panels are easily bolted on but expensive so if someone was able to make repro body panels such as quarters and doors, there may be a market down the road. Your idea of making custom body panels similar to what Zender does might work out also but the other guys already have a head start in the market so would be an uphill battle.
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but also would feel bad if I encouraged you to do something that lost a lot of money.
It's for a one-off, I don't intend on marketing the pannels I make.

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
It's for a one-off, I don't intend on marketing the pannels I make.
Are you aware of Scara 73 and his carbon fiber body pieces?
You might want to do this on your own as a project / challenge, but he may have some digital information (not sure he'd share it if he did, mind you), or advice.
Otherwise, it may be a cheaper alternative if that's all you were looking for in the first place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you aware of Scara 73 and his carbon fiber body pieces?
You might want to do this on your own as a project / challenge, but he may have some digital information (not sure he'd share it if he did, mind you), or advice.
Otherwise, it may be a cheaper alternative if that's all you were looking for in the first place.
Yeah, I'm aware, I was going to ask him but I don't know if he actually had to do a CAD scan to make the pieces, seeing as they're the same exact design as the OEM panels, I'd imagine he took a mold of the already existing pieces and then made a negative/positive to make Carbon Fiber ones. It could be worth a shot though I'll probably reach out to him at some point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts