Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
With the F1 season about to begin, and the winter months coming to an end, I have to admit, I have had some serious car withdrawal. I was perusing through some auctions and came across a couple of items that I just could not pass on.
As such, I finally picked up 2 of my favorite Cars

Chevrolet Cheetah
and a
Ferrari Dino

I needed some help from a friend to pick them up, and immediately took them to a local track to test them out
Obviously Pictures and Video are a necessity so here you go.

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
Neat....brings back memories of slot cars and the Cheetah sports car! Wonder how many members know what a Cheetah was? It was a Chevrolet powered race car that was pretty cool but never achieved the results the Cobras did....mainly because there were a lot more Cobras and factory backing. Back in the 1960s my brother and I had a custom 1/24th scale slot car track that we built and also made our own cars from scratch. My brother had a Cheetah. I was around 14 and he was 10. Slot cars was a great hobby.....it has come back a bit but not the level of the 60s. I remember it was so popular than that a local bowling alley tore out all of the lanes and built multiple tracks and had racing series. In those days it seemed every town had the local slot racing center.

Super Moderator
With the F1 season about to begin, and the winter months coming to an end, I have to admit, I have had some serious car withdrawal. I was perusing through some auctions and came across a couple of items that I just could not pass on.
As such, I finally picked up 2 of my favorite Cars

Chevrolet Cheetah
and a
Ferrari Dino

I needed some help from a friend to pick them up, and immediately took them to a local track to test them out
Obviously Pictures and Video are a necessity so here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cNW0ruOcI4
I still do the Scalextric slot car thing every Christmas with my younger son. We race F1 GP cars from each decade starting with the 1950s up to the 2000s as well as sports cars of the 50s, 60s and 2000s and Touring Cars. We finish up the school holidays with a race meeting involving three races of 10 laps each for each category (18 so far) of car. We build a different track each year in half of our lounge room that represents one of the European GP Circuits (We use a bit of imagination and design licence). Still great fun to share with my boy for as long as it lasts.

I鈥檓 trying to find slot cars representing the late 1930s but am finding none besides Cartrix does anything. Looking for 1938 (when the 3 litre category started) Auto Union, Mercedes, Alfas and Maseratis but strangely there doesn鈥檛 seem to be any demand in the market for them. They were beautiful cars that year.

Registered
Neat....brings back memories of slot cars and the Cheetah sports car! Wonder how many members know what a Cheetah was? It was a Chevrolet powered race car that was pretty cool but never achieved the results the Cobras did....mainly because there were a lot more Cobras and factory backing. Back in the 1960s my brother and I had a custom 1/24th scale slot car track that we built and also made our own cars from scratch. My brother had a Cheetah. I was around 14 and he was 10. Slot cars was a great hobby.....it has come back a bit but not the level of the 60s. I remember it was so popular than that a local bowling alley tore out all of the lanes and built multiple tracks and had racing series. In those days it seemed every town had the local slot racing center.
RKBerta if you ever need your slot car fix you live near one of the best slot car tracks around. my brother owns RC/slot car shop in Utica. you should stop by and check it out

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
RKBerta if you ever need your slot car fix you live near one of the best slot car tracks around. my brother owns RC/slot car shop in Utica. you should stop by and check it out
I know all about that store and track....have been there several times. It is only about 5 miles from my house. They also have cool indoor RC car races and of course sell all the cars and components. Small world that he is your brother.

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
I still do the Scalextric slot car thing every Christmas with my younger son. We race F1 GP cars from each decade starting with the 1950s up to the 2000s as well as sports cars of the 50s, 60s and 2000s and Touring Cars. We finish up the school holidays with a race meeting involving three races of 10 laps each for each category (18 so far) of car. We build a different track each year in half of our lounge room that represents one of the European GP Circuits (We use a bit of imagination and design licence). Still great fun to share with my boy for as long as it lasts.

I鈥檓 trying to find slot cars representing the late 1930s but am finding none besides Cartrix does anything. Looking for 1938 (when the 3 litre category started) Auto Union, Mercedes, Alfas and Maseratis but strangely there doesn鈥檛 seem to be any demand in the market for them. They were beautiful cars that year.
My 4 years younger brother and I were into 1/24th scale and HO scale slot cars back in early 60s....we built our own track (2-4'x8' sheets of high density particle board and we routed the slots ourselves). We also built our own cars....we loved to detail them. I built these two when I was about 13 years old. The Ferrari body was sourced from a car model kit but used a Pittman DC 65x motor I customized with SKF ball bearings, lightened motor frame, rewound poles, real magnesium wheels (Cox used to make them) and custom hand built chassis. The Mercedes F1 was a home made body.....made a wooden model, than a mold from that, and than made the body which is hand laid fiberglass. This was before the days of vacu-formed bodies. It also used a Pittman motor and custom chassis. I thought quite a project for a youngster. Sadly I don't have that track anymore, but still kept the cars (and a few more) for good memories. I am 71 years young now.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to see people appreciate these. WIth all the video consoles and smart phone games, I think they are missing out on much cooler toys.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
So I had been working on a larger track. Finally got some spare parts and got both lanes working.

This is an original AFX Giant Raceway. 62' of track in a 4' x 8' area.
It's freaking awesome and so much fun.

Super Moderator
So I had been working on a larger track. Finally got some spare parts and got both lanes working.

This is an original AFX Giant Raceway. 62' of track in a 4' x 8' area.
It's freaking awesome and so much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYFryZsXgwE
Way to go, RYUK! Here鈥檚 me thinking nobody played with slotcars any more (except the rare few). Looks like fun. Cars? F1, Indy Cars, Stock, Historics?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I currently have 7 cars. Looking to replace ones I lost from my childhood.
Cars and track are all AFX, I have 3 classic Thunderjets, 2 Mega-Gs and 2 Magna Tractions
I am going to try to replace all the cars I had growing up and will slowly add Bleechers and other stuff around the track to fill it in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up a classic Shadow and a Ford GT

I also snagged an AMX Javelin.

I am actually mounting all of the non Thunderjet bodies on short Mega G+ chassis. They are super fast and very low maintenance. The magnets keep them glued to the track.

Last, I found a pretty cool AR Smart Phone enabled Pit stop. Here is the original AFX You Tube video

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
Does that bring back memories!! My late brother and I loved slot cars....1/24, 1/32, and HO scale tracks that we built tracks and cars. The HO had tons of realistic scenery using HO train scenery. Back in 60s they were really popular. There are still a few commercial tracks around....one of our Forum members brother owns a large track near where I live in Michigan.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
That's ridiculous,
Maybe it's just me, but that does not seem very fun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts