Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2015 Black Alfa Romeo 4C, 2008 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise SC
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was driving home from volleyball and some transmission error messages flashed across the screen and the car went into 'preservation mode' or whatever you call it. Basically it turned into a Chevy Nova (No Va) and I was stuck on fairly steep hill. Some passersby helped me push my 4C onto a side street out of traffic. I shut the car off and restarted it and was able to limp home.

I used my Veepeak BTE+ OBD II reader to see what was going on and received these 4 codes: P1CC0 P232A P284D U11D5

Has anyone had any experience with these codes...especially P284D (Shift Fork 1 Unrequested. MovementCause: SENSOR MODULE or ELECTROHYDRAULIC UNIT)? I think this is the main code and the others are just generic codes triggered by this one.

My initial inclination is to just try and clear the codes because of all the false CELs people get - especially due to slight fluctuations in electric current due to corroded battery terminals or other things. I was not driving aggressively that day, but I had just washed the car the day before for a video, so it was a lot of water and such.

What do ya'll think?

Font Screenshot Number Circle Document

Font Number Circle Electric blue Parallel

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

Font Circle Screenshot Number Logo

· Registered
654 Posts
I'm betting it's the battery. A low voltage battery on these cars can be an issue. Car may start but you will get lights like you never seen on any other car! I had started my 4c years back on a very cold morning what i thought was a fine battery and seen so many warning lights I turned it off and went back in the house had and waited an hour or so and they were gone thinking the worst. Changed the battery and never had an issue since. Do you keep it on the tender? Not sure what the temps are where the car is parked? I since keep it on a tender when not used for a few days. I would throw a tender on it for a day and see if they go away as a test unless the battery is totally done for.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery is certainly the first and easiest thing to check / repair.
Fingers crossed that is all it is
I'm betting it's the battery. A low voltage battery on these cars can be an issue. Car may start but you will get lights like you never seen on any other car! I had started my 4c years back on a very cold morning what i thought was a fine battery and seen so many warning lights I turned it off and went back in the house had and waited an hour or so and they were gone thinking the worst. Changed the battery and never had an issue since. Do you keep it on the tender? Not sure what the temps are where the car is parked? I since keep it on a tender when not used for a few days. I would throw a tender on it for a day and see if they go away as a test unless the battery is totally done for.
It's cold, but not freezing - maybe 40s. I don't normally keep it on a tender, but I do when it's going to sit idle for a few days. I cleared the codes and fingers crossed that's all it takes. Thanks to everyone who's responded!

· Registered
134 Posts
Yesterday I was driving home from volleyball and some transmission error messages flashed across the screen and the car went into 'preservation mode' or whatever you call it. Basically it turned into a Chevy Nova (No Va) and I was stuck on fairly steep hill. Some passersby helped me push my 4C onto a side street out of traffic. I shut the car off and restarted it and was able to limp home.

I used my Veepeak BTE+ OBD II reader to see what was going on and received these 4 codes: P1CC0 P232A P284D U11D5

Has anyone had any experience with these codes...especially P284D (Shift Fork 1 Unrequested. MovementCause: SENSOR MODULE or ELECTROHYDRAULIC UNIT)? I think this is the main code and the others are just generic codes triggered by this one.

My initial inclination is to just try and clear the codes because of all the false CELs people get - especially due to slight fluctuations in electric current due to corroded battery terminals or other things. I was not driving aggressively that day, but I had just washed the car the day before for a video, so it was a lot of water and such.

What do ya'll think?
Hello,

Have you considered taking this into your dealer for their assistance in diagnosing these error messages. If you decide to go the dealer route, we are available for extra support, just send us a private message with more information.

Lex
Alfa Romeo Cares

Reactions: alphaboy1

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello,

Have you considered taking this into your dealer for their assistance in diagnosing these error messages. If you decide to go the dealer route, we are available for extra support, just send us a private message with more information.

Lex
Alfa Romeo Cares
I bought the car last year out of state, so I don't have a relationship with the local Alfa Romeo dealership. So my first inclination is usually to try and resolve things myself. If it actually required service I'd either take it to a shop recommended by my local posse of 4C owners or to the dealership. Appreciate the offer of extra support if I go the dealer route.

· Administrator
19,460 Posts
It's my daily driver, so that seems a bit inconvenient, but it might be necessary.
With my summer daily (also known for voltage sensitivity), I put it on a tender any time that I know in advance it won't be used for 3 days or more, or after it's been sitting for 3 days and I know it won't go out again the following day.

A pain? Yes, but not as big a one as being let down by a bad battery.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With my summer daily (also known for voltage sensitivity), I put it on a tender any time that I know in advance it won't be used for 3 days or more, or after it's been sitting for 3 days and I know it won't go out again the following day.

A pain? Yes, but not as big a one as being let down by a bad battery.
Ok, well that's more reasonable and basically what I do w/both my Elise and 4C. If it's sitting for 2 or 3 days, it goes on the tender.

· Registered
427 Posts
I think I had similar codes when my transmission went out. if your car has over 35,000 miles it could likely be worn out clutches too. Worth having the dealer check it out. My dealer couldn’t find a problem with mine and the day I picked it back up from them it went dead in the water again. Then they finally acknowledged the transmission was shot

1 - 20 of 26 Posts