Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts
Discussion starter · #102 ·
The prototype finally came in for the viewing pleasure! carbon fiber water transfer does look pretty good, but I think there is only one way to actually make it work with the heat, so unfortunately I will have to make it in real carbon fiber for the next round.
below is a video for a closer look

2 issues I found with this prototype-
1. the 3D printed material is too flimsy and fragile. but of course it would hold up with the same plastic material the current is made out of
2. the mounting bracket was a little off on the dimensions, really hard to measure by hand. I need to find someone who has a 3D file of the mounting posts for engine cover.

it is going to take a few more iterations to make it the right way unfortunately! and more money of course .
Vehicle Car Hood Bumper Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Headlamp Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood
Windshield Auto part Automotive design Glass Helmet

ive had carbon dipped engine covers on all my cars and the heat has never been an issue for the material.

The prototype finally came in for the viewing pleasure! carbon fiber water transfer does look pretty good, but I think there is only one way to actually make it work with the heat, so unfortunately I will have to make it in real carbon fiber for the next round.

1. the 3D printed material is too flimsy and fragile. but of course it would hold up with the same plastic material the current is made out of
2. the mounting bracket was a little off on the dimensions, really hard to measure by hand. I need to find someone who has a 3D file of the mounting posts for engine cover.

it is going to take a few more iterations to make it the right way unfortunately! and more money of course .
View attachment 108079 View attachment 108077 View attachment 108080 View attachment 108078 View attachment 108076
That tidies things up nicely indeed. What a beautiful piece of design and workmanship. Congratulations, Beau.

View attachment 108079 View attachment 108077 View attachment 108080 View attachment 108078 View attachment 108076
personally love it..

i reckon tho in all those cut out spots maybe some nice mesh ?? so you dont see the wires and such would look awesome

also never had any issues with heat and carbon transfer and ive had multiple cars with covers like that

Discussion starter · #113 ·
personally love it..

i reckon tho in all those cut out spots maybe some nice mesh ?? so you dont see the wires and such would look awesome

also never had any issues with heat and carbon transfer and ive had multiple cars with covers like that
I am not worried about carbon transfer melting, the part itself is 3D printed and may not hold up. either way I am looking into a supplier for a autoclave process carbon fiber, just in case I sell a few. I dont want to have to worry about them melting on consumers lol or cracking in cold weather. might be bad for business

Looks great! A carbon fiber low production piece seems like it will be very expensive. What about making a new aluminum insert like you have here for the already produced oem like carbon engine cover?

I am not worried about carbon transfer melting, the part itself is 3D printed and may not hold up. either way I am looking into a supplier for a autoclave process carbon fiber, just in case I sell a few. I dont want to have to worry about them melting on consumers lol or cracking in cold weather. might be bad for business
ah i see yep wouldnt be great
any thoughts on the mesh insert ideas for all those little cutouts?

Discussion starter · #119 ·
roughly 1 million pounds......not really sure yet, I am shooting for below 2k , it all depends on the supplier cost and if I can find a reasonable supplier for the carbon fiber. if not, It will be just a one off for my car, it looks amazing in person even with fake carbon fiber-

101 - 120 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.