Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

carbon fiber engine cover concept

23K views 129 replies 43 participants last post by  Kaki Morimoto 
#1 · (Edited)
  • Design Number 1
Hey Guys,

I was thinking of making this carbon fiber engine cover i designed, I know it will cost an arm and a leg and possibly my first born child. I know its a bit much, considering its a small 4 cylinder, but I just think the stock engine cover is pretty lame even the carbon fiber versions.

Let me know what you guys think? do you thinks its too ricer?
Red Automotive design Concept car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Trunk

See less See more
#4 ·
I agree w Robocop that this design will def harm cooling and flow, although maybe provide some extra battery/electrical/valve water protection (not really needed tho).
I vote redesign to embrace actual engine rather than how you put it, "ricer" wannabe "Bussorarri" concept. Beautiful lines and proportion tho... You've obviously got design chops as the lines flow well with the coupe's viewing area and the ethos of the OEM body.

#5 ·
I actually love it haha

But if it effects cooling and performance then we have an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
You have a real talent here, Beau! I’m excited that you are applying your skills towards our cars. My thoughts:
-whatever design you make, it should embrace the I4 engine layout (as opposed to a V8-look)
-minimize impact to air flow in the engine bay
-given the above two things, go crazy with it! I agree that the most disappointing thing when I show people my car is when I show them the engine. The cover is so meh, and the engine itself underneath is not pretty. I wonder if there might be a way to make a cover that would remind us of the Alfa engines of old, but with a modern twist of carbon fiber?

#9 ·
I am more into racing than design and the OEM engine cover doesn't bother me at all. To me the OEM looks ok enough.
I do agree with others that your design will affect the cooling of the engine but not to those who will buy it.
However I find your design very nice and I believe you will sell a few. Below are the reasons:
There are 2 categories of alfa owners: those who bought the car for it's look and those for how it feels when you drive it.

• The second category will not buy it. They / or better say "WE" will even remove the OEM cover when going to the race track for better cooling and some weight removal. We care less about how the engine bay looks (of course we would like it to be nicer but this desire is somewhere very low on the list). We need better cooling because we extract everything that the engine can provide for long intervals of time. We would invest in non visible parts that improve the driving performance. We are not your target but we are not too many either (I believe less than half of the owners).
  • The first category will be quite interested in your design. They don't need cooling because the engine have no problem with cooling if you drive it on the street more for show than for go. The engine of the alfa is pretty well sorted in terms of cooling and even in stock format it can sustain 20 minutes of continuous track abuse ... which is quite amazing, The car driven with your engine cover (even fast on the streets) will never reach the track temperatures.
Out of this category there will be those that don't like the fact it looks like a V8 engine while "under the hood" it's a 4 pot engine. The rest who have no problem with this should be your clients (a lot of owners I believe).
The only change that I would make is to replace the plastic intake pipes with real aluminium ones + add some details to avoid the look of a plastic cover. I would not add CF unless someone specifically wants it (hydro-transfer is a cheap good looking solution).

So, I really like the design of this cover and looking forward to see more parts from you. They are "eye" catching I must admit.

#13 ·
Yep, I always remove mine for the track, not that I’ve seen any of that lately, but it is a godawful mess under there with all of those pipes and leads. It’d be nice if someone came up with a tidy-up kit. As for the cover something that hints of the twin-cam that sits beneath and that allows for hot air to escape would be the go. Keep it small, vented, light and easily removed. To cover everything would be a nuisance. I like to do a visual check of things every now and then and having too large a cover would be a hindrance.

#10 · (Edited)
Its a great design. You clearly have talent. I wonder about not running a plastic cover at all. Maybe show whats underneath. Swap black plastic and rubber hoses and connectors for bling AN fittings, silicone and braided hoses, find carbon or alloy things to replace whatever looks good and can be swapped back. You could polish turbo compressor, get the turbine and manifold ceramic coated red or something. They do a metalic red ceramic coating that looks like lava! Exhaust Coatings

#11 ·
I think its absolutely beautiful. Personally I would prefer something that simply enhances the engine. Heck isn't Koenigsegg doing something with three cylinders now? I wouldn't shy away from beautifying the four cylinder that is already there. But I think its absolutely gorgeous what you've done, and since cars are doing artificial exhaust notes now, where are we going to draw the line on acceptance/rejection? I think you are on to something - and my compliments on your artistry.

#12 ·

Personally I love mine , the carbon graphics , the carbon coolant tank and the exhaust cooling duct polished chrome changed the whole look, but still that v8 cover would look awesome through the window,

But definitely I’d have all the black of that plastic cover in carbon fibre weave or dip and the red and inlets a bit more real appearing

Reactions: lolo4c and 4Canada
#92 ·

Personally I love mine , the carbon graphics , the carbon coolant tank and the exhaust cooling duct polished chrome changed the whole look, but still that v8 cover would look awesome through the window,

But definitely I’d have all the black of that plastic cover in carbon fibre weave or dip and the red and inlets a bit more real appearing

ciao , Cas 155 ! where did U get that RedCarbon engine cover ?? Is it available???
let me know please , fabrizio

#22 ·
Agreed, I for one appreciate that he's trying to give us some options over the plastic fantastic crap the car came with. There have been at least two other members who talked about making replacement climate controls and they eventually disappeared. I'm hopeful Beau's designs come to fruition.

#25 · (Edited)
  • Design Number 2

Thanks guys! much appreciated the feedback!

I have re designed the engine cover based on your guys great feedback!
  • No fake tubes and intakes
  • do not make it have an 8cyl engine ( sounded cool in my head, but obviously similar to a Honda civic putting a Ferrari badge on haha)
  • Keep in line with older traditional Alfa engines
  • Add more cooling for engine with vents
let me know what you guys think, its a more generic design. I may do one more with a 4cyl engine simulated design, but I have a problem with the symmetry of the cover being offset with the motor, it bothers me as a designer especially when looking in through the windshield.....but maybe its just me.
Automotive design Red Vehicle Car Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Automotive exterior

#27 ·
Thanks guys! much appreciated the feedback!

I have re designed the engine cover based on your guys great feedback!
  • No fake tubes and intakes
  • do not make it have an 8cyl engine ( sounded cool in my head, but obviously similar to a Honda civic putting a Ferrari badge on haha)
  • Keep in line with older traditional Alfa engines
  • Add more cooling for engine with vents
let me know what you guys think, its a more generic design. I may do one more with a 4cyl engine simulated design, but I have a problem with the symmetry of the cover being offset with the motor, it bothers me as a designer especially when looking in through the windshield.....but maybe its just me.
View attachment 106252 View attachment 106253
Absolutely love this please make

#31 ·
That is a good question, I will be able to test them out before taking any orders, so I can make any necessary mods. Right now they are taller, but still in line width wise with original paddle curving inward, not outward. I have tested a set with my 3D printer here and seem to be good. I will make a video once I get the real thing!

#36 ·
Beau, I am really liking where this is progressing!! I like the first of your two new designs best as I think it really captures the vintage Alfa heritage. The second one looks a bit more BMW to me, but still gorgeous!
Two suggestions for whatever design you come up with: air flow is very important, especially for track use (which I do all the time):
1) make sure the cover can be removed fairly easily for track days
2) the more perforations, the better to allow for air flow. My thought is that maybe wherever you have the black shrouding, you make it a mesh design?

can’t wait to see where this goes!
Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.