Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a forum search, lots of threads on carbon tips and such but all for aftermarket it seems.

Anyone know of source for Carbon Fiber exhaust tips for the standard AR exhaust. Just not interested in changing to aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
For stock exhaust, if you want to change your tips, you're gonna have to chop your stock tips off and either clamp or weld the CF, Polished or Blued tips...

I researched CF tips for the stock exhaust awhile back and only found only Chinese Akrapovic knockoffs. With the exhaust piping so short, you worry about the exhaust heat eventually yellowing the CF tip.

You could do real AK CF tips but they'll cost you around $500-800 for a pair of tips.
Such as these: (or you can find them also at Vividracing.com)
https://www.3zero3motorsports.com/store/akrapovic-bmw-mini-cooper-s-carbon-tips-exhaust-system

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doc, I'll just leave things stock I guess.

For stock exhaust, if you want to change your tips, you're gonna have to chop your stock tips off and either clamp or weld the CF, Polished or Blued tips...

I researched CF tips for the stock exhaust awhile back and only found only Chinese Akrapovic knockoffs. With the exhaust piping so short, you worry about the exhaust heat eventually yellowing the CF tip.

You could do real AK CF tips but they'll cost you around $500-800 for a pair of tips.
Such as these: (or you can find them also at Vividracing.com)
https://www.3zero3motorsports.com/store/akrapovic-bmw-mini-cooper-s-carbon-tips-exhaust-system

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks Doc, I'll just leave things stock I guess.
side note-

I have the Madness CF tip exhaust and only after about 150 miles the tips are already turning yellow, is there anyway to get them back to life?

not sure how Akropovic design has managed to make CF tip handle heat, but from what I've seen..they've held up

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yellowing from the heat on CF is pretty common and saw this quite frequently on cf components on my motorcycles. I think a nice titanium tip would be nice which gets that cool rainbow color after heat.

side note-

I have the Madness CF tip exhaust and only after about 150 miles the tips are already turning yellow, is there anyway to get them back to life?

not sure how Akropovic design has managed to make CF tip handle heat, but from what I've seen..they've held up

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
60 Posts
yellowing from the heat on CF is pretty common and saw this quite frequently on cf components on my motorcycles. I think a nice titanium tip would be nice which gets that cool rainbow color after heat.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I think I saw those tips on madness for around $500+. Seems a lot to pay for something that's going to turn yellow. I did this for now with high temp paint. I'll see how it works out, it definitely looks better than chrome in my opinion. I was motivated by another posted that did the same thing and a comment from a friend who's opinion I value.

I'm still not a huge fan of the overall shape for the exhaust tips but at least they no longer stick out like a giant chrome sore thumb. One day I might replace the exhaust but I would probably go dual centers with a new defuser and that gets expensive, as of right now I'm loving my 4C as it is. I would like to find an exhaust that offers more turbo whine but an intake might accomplish that as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience, I think I saw those tips on madness for around $500+. Seems a lot to pay for something that's going to turn yellow. I did this for now with high temp paint. I'll see how it works out, it definitely looks better than chrome in my opinion. I was motivated by another posted that did the same thing and a comment from a friend who's opinion I value.

I'm still not a huge fan of the overall shape for the exhaust tips but at least they no longer stick out like a giant chrome sore thumb. One day I might replace the exhaust but I would probably go dual centers with a new defuser and that gets expensive, as of right now I'm loving my 4C as it is. I would like to find an exhaust that offers more turbo whine but an intake might accomplish that as well.

View attachment 109227 View attachment 109228
I think this could look better if you did satin black instead of flat. I’ve been thinking of doing this to my tips too.

Using something like this:

VHT SP739 Satin Black Brake Caliper Paint Can - 11 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPJLVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wQhqFbYQDHX0T

·
Registered
64 Posts
Someone on the Facebook group bought these cheap tips, cut a line down the bottom, and fit them around the stock tips.

They ended up plastidipping the tip (last

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Someone on the Facebook group bought these cheap tips, cut a line down the bottom, and fit them around the stock tips.

View attachment 109315
View attachment 109316
Off the Plasti-Dip website.
Screenshot_20200826-121352_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
382 Posts
side note-

The yellowing is the epoxy/coat. Akrapovic uses a stabilized and different epoxy (more cost) that pushes the temperature and UV resistance further... Google and buy the higher temp epoxy, sand down the epoxy you have to the carbon, and apply evenly. (Easier said than) Done.

If you have yet to buy the carbon tips, spec them in matte, and give a light sanding until you "feel" the weave through the thin 3000+ grit sheet, 2mm nitrile/chloro gloves maximum (some carbon fibers may be released if you go too far). The remaining "cheap epoxy" will yellow under the new and CLEAR "expensive epoxy", but likely you left so little that the hue will barely be noticable. You can always cut and make your own carbon tube, doing it right from scratch for that "perfect" tip, but the exhaust will dirty it anyways. Also, yellowed cheap carbon goes very nicely with yellow/bronze/gold/light-orange brakes/contrast color. Maybe just paint the brakes to that trendy yellow or AR's own GTAm gold, let it match?

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
60 Posts

View attachment 109315
View attachment 109316
I think this was the reply to my FB post after I painted my tips with flat black high temp paint. The poster stated that there were other diameters available that might have circumvented the need for cutting the axial slit. This is something I might do eventually but I currently have other priorities for my finances and time, it stems from owning too many vehicles that also need attention and being a perfectionist.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think this was the reply to my FB post after I painted my tips with flat black high temp paint. The poster stated that there were other diameters available that might have circumvented the need for cutting the axial slit. This is something I might do eventually but I currently have other priorities for my finances and time, it stems from owning too many vehicles that also need attention and being a perfectionist.
Yep.

I was gonna try the bigger ones, but if it was too big, then what? I think it looks good, even with the slit, which isn’t really that noticeable.

·
Registered
21 Posts

[/URL][/URL]

View attachment 109315
View attachment 109316
Thi

[/URL]

View attachment 109315
View attachment 109316
Ohh thanks for that. I wondered how well it would hold up.
Those are pics of my tips and the plasti dip is holding up fine!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts