Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For all the 4C Spider owners, which would like to complete the exterior appearance of their cars, I am proud to announce and present here, a one piece double dome carbon fiber hardtop.
One month away from the official selling start. First 10 units for Europe only.
Interior volumes were shaped to enable head protection.

Executed in Prepreg, autoclave cured, at around 5 Kg. weight completed. CNC milled Aluminium parts, Stainless steel pins and Springs.

Plug und Play, no additional modification to your car, no additional parts needed.

With the amiability of one of our forum member we performed an slow running test (up to 80 km/h) to check the noise, ratling, etc.
Please note, the road was good with no uneven portions(German roads).
The feedback given was that the effort to lock and unlock its to much, and the gap to the car windshield it's too small and can potentially scratch the clear coat from the car.

Both issues will be addressed in to manufacturing process.

Price: Netto 2942 Euro excluded shipping, Brutto 3501 Euro(VAT included) shipping excluded.

Latest images with Clear Coat on it (Finished product).

Attachments

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Isn't that the general assumption for anything you might want to bring?
Is it safe to assume it will not fit in the trunk?
It cannot fit in the trunk, the trunk size has a smaller footprint, not to mention the the volume. Lucky for the community there is already an existing solution which can fit in the trunk.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Use it for most times when you are staying within a day of home. If you want to take a road trip and foresee needing to take the top off use the soft top. If you have to take the soft top off and also carry some luggage get a soft bag and put it on a hitch mounted rack.
Wise perspective!

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I’d like to know how exactly is it securely in place? Why opt to not use the center attachment points as well? What speed has this been tested at?
The OEM foldable cover it is a textile it's equipped with the additional central fixation to ensure the sealing of the cabin, and prevent "inflating" the cabin while at high speed and improper mounting.
My product has a 2 composites panels, in which the interior panel its transversal triangular shaped to ensure structural stability, the panels are bonded together with structural adhesive, and together they form a very rigid assembly. The lockings are independent and loaded, maybe a bit to hard, by the springs. I hope this clears a bit the reason of not having the central fixation.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
That’s what I was thinking when I asked ha.
In my humble opinion, this is one of the worst scenarios that I was thinking when evaluating the lockings strategy for this hardtop. And to make the story short, it could be a problem with 2 sources. constructive on one side, and owner handling and carefulness one other side.
The sliding pins are fully matching the depth of fixation parts in the car, including some 4 mm. tolerances.
As I mentioned before, the spring load in the full lock potion of the sliding pins it's quite strong that makes me fear that people would complain about.
I prefer to be over cautions in preventing accidents and damages.
I consider that you are not going to mount and remove the hardtop like 3 time a day, so the effort implied its justified considering the safety.
But if in the mounting process you as a user, you don't comply with common sense, good will and the instructions provided with the item, then situations like the one shown in the video will happen, unfortunately!
This is my personal opinion about it and behind the development of this product.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Nothing will happen, this is just one of very rare cases a hard/soft top flies away. All Elises,Exiges,Exiges 3.5 v6 and Opel Speedster use that kind of soft top mounting....Note that Lotus mention not to go faster as 230/240 km/h with a soft top.
That's probably why Alfa has extra mounting in the front for higher speed....

View attachment 115855

Also the flying hard top mounted on the car above is fixed in another kind of way (like all Lotus/Opel variants) He probably did not torqued his fasteners!! (y) (y) (y)

View attachment 115856

No worries
I am familiar with those drawings, but it was a challenge to stick with a certain technical solution.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Are you vac forming in a bag on top of a mould?

I love vac forming, at Polytechnic I specialized in plywood furniture and vac bag forming, really amazing shapes
I don't want to mislead anyone about the process, so I have found a scientific explanation about the process used for manufacturing this assembly, to answer your question. Autoclave Molding

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Will fitment be addressed in the production version? Fitment looks kind of off tbh - I’m surprised no one else has mentioned this.

Fitment looks a bit iffy in the corners and will catch wind (potentially damaging it and the attachment points at speed). See below:

View attachment 115894
View attachment 115895
Yes, production will have this area solved. This complete unit was done to verify different parts of the production process and the other 2 aspects of the fitment in the car.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts