Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
When it's being stored / left at home, is there a bag or cover for this? Is this just going to sit out exposed unless we create our own storage bag / safe area? I'm about to order and this crossed my mind. @epoxid
I’ve reached out to a custom bag maker to address this. I’m still waiting to hear back from them but will update when I hear something…

Credit to @zr33 actually. He sent me the link a couple months ago.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Personally I would like a pedestal with a glass case to put it in so visitors could admire it when it wasn't on my car... :)

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Personally I would like a pedestal with a glass case to put it in so visitors could admire it when it wasn't on my car... :)
Interesting concept actually... I wonder if it could be positioned / protected but still be on display somehow. It would make for some lovely garage sculpture 😂

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
EXACTLY! Maybe some nice LED lights to highlight it as well...

Or maybe some kind of floor stand like this, but scaled up for the roof... It would make it easy to lift out and could provide storage for the soft-top when not in use... Of course in Carbon Fiber...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m very excited by the product, as I expect it to be superior in noise and weather isolation, as well as cosmetics, compared to the folding roof (at the expense of portability).

Is there a video available showing the mounting and unmounting of the roof? The FAQ says that is the roof is considerably hard to install, which is a bit surprising. I would have expected it to be easier than the cloth rooftop.

Also, how does the weight compare to the OEM roof?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
I’m very excited by the product, as I expect it to be superior in noise and weather isolation, as well as cosmetics, compared to the folding roof (at the expense of portability).

Is there a video available showing the mounting and unmounting of the roof? The FAQ says that is the roof is considerably hard to install, which is a bit surprising. I would have expected it to be easier than the cloth rooftop.

Also, how does the weight compare to the OEM roof?
I will not start to debate on which product its better, mine or the other one. This is your task as a buyer to inform your self, to analyze which product fits you better, in which way its attaching to your car. Does it provide safety while using it? how about head protection!?
In the FAQ its written ''It takes considerably more effort to attach it and detach it to/from the car''
In order to attach it to the car you basically press the hardtop against the rubber seals, compressing them, until the latches are fully engaged.
A video will come at some moment.
In regards to the weight, its in a range in between 4.8 to 5.3kg depending on configuration.

Rereading the posts in this thread, I would like to make the following comment: For who ever decide to order this solution, you are going to receive this very object/solution as shown and presented.
This is NOT a copy of OEM part, and it was not developed using factory development data but instead the 3D scan data from a production unit.
Final production car, caries assembly tolerances. While fit testing on various cars I noticed a 0 to 5 mm difference.
I don't encourage anyone building up a distorted projection over what this solution is or is not, to avoid being disappointed, I know its difficult because this car its tickling all of the senses and emotions.
Don't forget, its an handcrafted, and while the manufacturer its taking the time to fulfill each operation to the agreed quality, its still a human operator work involved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The response to my questions appeared a bit defensive (to me). I certainly didn’t mean to offend and don’t honestly see how my questions warranted this response.

I’m a fan of this product. I ordered one!

I’m simply trying to get more information about the product. Let me try to re-express my questions, as they actually weren’t answered. I apologize if the questions weren’t clear the first time:

1.Regarding “ease of installation”…. The FAQ does indeed say ‘It takes considerably more effort to attach it and detach it to/from the car'
The question is, “as compared to what?”. Given the design of the carbon roof and how much thought went into it, it actually looks like it should be easier than unfolding and mounting the factory OEM roof. The FAQ surprised me and I’m simply looking for more information.

2. Regarding “weight” - I saw the weight of the carbon roof in the FAQ (and the FAQ was updated based on my private inquiry, BTW). But what isn’t clear if this is heavier or lighter than the OEM roof. This is why I asked the question.

This looks like a great product and I’m anxious to have one. I would guess that others would also benefit from the additional information.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 · (Edited)
I'm sorry if my answer its offending. This was not the purpose or intention.

I have no clue how heavy the OEM cloth is, I own a Coupe not the Spider.
In regards to mounting the unit in comparison to the OEM.
The OEM has two main rigid parts, each of them with its set of latches. from this latches on each side there is one pair the act as a rotation axis after attaching, while the other pair stretches' the textile and press it against the rubber seals.
My solution, has a different construction, a rigid one. I will try to describe the procedure below.
You need to either open both doors, or put windows down, grab the unit and gently place it over the car. enter the car on each side, and manipulate the two latches in order to facilitate the correct engage. Repeat the procedure for the opposite side.
The "considerably more effort to attach it and detach it to/from the car " refers to the amount of finger pressure required to fully engage the latches in their correct position.
I hope this brings some light in regards to usage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
#2: Ah, you don’t have the spider. Lol. Does anyone know the weight of OEM roof?

#1: your description makes sense. To me, it sounds EASIER than the cloth roof, as the rigid structure doesn’t flop around like the cloth roof.

A video might be helpful and allow you to confidently modify your FAQ answer with feedback from some spider owners, as I think your product is likely an improvement over the OEM cloth roof.

Thanks the quick response and effort to be as transparent as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
#2: Ah, you don’t have the spider. Lol. Does anyone know the weight of OEM roof?
I felt compelled to do this LOL. I drove it earlier tonight and needed to give her a wipe down before bed anyways. But the OEM top weights 14.4lbs or 6.5kg

So the comparison would look something like this…

Font Line Rectangle Parallel Circle

I am actually surprised how heavy the OEM top is. I half expected the CF one to be heavier (idk why).

~3-4 lbs from the highest point on the car is pretty good (honestly I would have still wanted it either way). (y)

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rectangle

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
I felt compelled to do this LOL. I drove it earlier tonight and needed to give her a wipe down before bed anyways. But the OEM top weights 14.4lbs or 6.5kg

So the comparison would look something like this…

View attachment 121541

I am actually surprised how heavy the OEM top is. I half expected the CF one to be heavier (idk why).

~3-4 lbs from the highest point on the car is pretty good (honestly I would have still wanted it either way). (y)

View attachment 121540
Thank you very much, for taking the initiative and the effort to measure and sum-up the results!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks @John4!

@epoxid , your looks like like it's...

LIGHTER (confirmed)
MORE BEAUTIFUL (I doubt anyone would contest that); and
EASIER to install (or perhaps simpler, you just need some finger strength!)

Great product, I cant wait to get it! :)

181 - 196 of 196 Posts